PDA

View Full Version : Latest Job Complete; (Pics)

Richard Wolf
07-07-2005, 7:26 PM
The cottage style home in Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y. was my latest railing job. I was really impressed with the standing seam copper roof. I know they are gaining popularity in other areas, but around the N.Y. area they are not a common thing. This also was not a prefab type roof, but hand made on site. It's alway nice to see real craftmanship at work.

Richard

Per Swenson
07-07-2005, 7:57 PM
Richard,

Nice work, I just love that stuff.

Per

Roy Wall
07-07-2005, 8:05 PM
Ahh, the stair master at work again! Looks great! You are a pro Richard- good to have you on SMC!!:)

Chris Barton
07-07-2005, 9:22 PM
Hi Rich,

Great work! It is a real tribute to your skill as a craftsman and artist!

Chris

Kelly C. Hanna
07-07-2005, 9:53 PM
Very nice stair railing!! I've never done one of those but I can tell you have done a few...:D

Tyler Howell
07-08-2005, 8:26 AM
Bravo Bravo! Well done Rich!:cool:

Michael Gabbay
07-08-2005, 8:28 AM
Beutiful work Richard. I'll send my twin 6 year old boys to come test it out. :D

lloyd morris
07-08-2005, 8:42 AM
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing the picture of the copper roofing as well.

Lloyd

Sam Blasco
07-08-2005, 8:44 AM
I do like the sound of a metal roof under a steady rain while sliding down a well constructed banister.

Michael Gibbons
07-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Richard, here's an old Irish toast." As you slide down the banister of life, may all the splinters be pointing in you favor"

Mike

Lou Morrissette
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Richard,

Great looking railing. Real craftsmanship involved in that kind of work. Well done.

I've seen standing seam steel and aluminum done, but copper? Wow, what do you figure that cost per square?:eek: Looks great though.

Lou

Alden Miller
07-08-2005, 1:24 PM
Richard, that's some nice looking work. I did one railing years ago. It came out nice but it gave me a huge respect for those that do it professionally.

-Alden

lou sansone
07-08-2005, 3:42 PM
excellent work. I think you have probably found one of those nich markets where I hope you are being paid what you are worth. Stairs are really an art and you are doing some nice work. thanks for sharing it with us here @ SMC.

lou

Richard Wolf
07-08-2005, 4:14 PM
Richard, here's an old Irish toast." As you slide down the banister of life, may all the splinters be pointing in you favor"

Mike

I have never heard that one; thats for passing it on.

Richard

Richard Wolf
07-08-2005, 4:17 PM
Richard,

I've seen standing seam steel and aluminum done, but copper? Wow, what do you figure that cost per square?:eek: Looks great though.

Lou

The installer told me it depends on the job, but figure $20.00 per sq. foot, ouch!! If the math works thats $2,000 a square.

Richard

Richard Wolf
07-08-2005, 4:20 PM
excellent work. I think you have probably found one of those nich markets where I hope you are being paid what you are worth. Stairs are really an art and you are doing some nice work. thanks for sharing it with us here @ SMC.

lou

You are right Lou, this is a great niche market. With the building boom on Long Island, and people remodeling their homes I've been busy for the last 15 years. I make a nice living at something I really enjoy doing.

Thanks to all for looking.

Richard

Norman Hitt
07-08-2005, 4:30 PM
Beautiful Stairs Richard, But....from past performances, we have come to expect nothing less from YOU. :)

I have always loved Standing Seam Copper Roofs, both when they are New, and after they have aged and aquire their patina with that powdery greenish look. I saw a much larger number of these roofs in Europe when I lived there than we seem to have here in the U.S. When my wife came to visit me there one summer, while she toured the buildings and grounds, I spent a couple of hrs watching the tradesmen, installing a New roof like this on a Convent in Belgie, (Belgium--as we spell it), and it was really interesting. It was a really large building with probably 400 squares on the roof, and I always wondered just how much that roof actually cost, but the workers said they didn't have any idea as to the price.

I really do like the Curved roof treatment in the picture you show. I just wish I could afford a copper roof for my house, Buuuuut.......I would also like to continue Eating for the the rest of my life. :D

Corey Hallagan
07-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Excellent Richard!! Beautiful work. I wonder how many parts there are to that top newl post!?? Thats fantastic. I think it is wonderful you can make a nice living at something you enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

Corey

Dennis Peacock
07-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Very nice work there Richard.!!!! You have once again shown your skill and abilities of getting the job done right and perfectly executed.!!! Congrats on another job well done. :D

Chris Padilla
07-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Awesome, just awesome, Richard!!

Dan Forman
07-09-2005, 3:40 AM
Richard---Beutiful job on the railing. If I had stairs, you'd be the man I'd want to do the job.

Dan

Ray Bersch
07-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Richard,

'nother job well done - great work.
Ray

Steve Clardy
07-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Looks good Richard. Ever done the bendy ones?
Steve

Richard Wolf
07-09-2005, 4:15 PM
Looks good Richard. Ever done the bendy ones?
Steve

Sure Steve, I've seen some of your work so I know you know how time consuming building curved stairs and rails can be. The economy on Long Island is very good but the hourly rate gets out of hand with curved work and a full curved staircase with rails is ranging from $15,000 up to $.......... It just doesn't become as hot an item as you would think.

To all, thanks for the kind words and looking.

Richard

Steve Clardy
07-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Yes. I know about the time consumed on circular stairs. I just finished up a cherry one.
The driving about ate me up too. 68 miles one way for days.
I'll post the pics in a few days. This one was the toughest I've ever done. It is a 28" circle.

David Pettibone
07-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Fine craftmanship Richard. You've got game dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D That is really something to be proud of. Nice work.

David

Jerry Olexa
07-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Beautiful work on the stair railings etc. AND I too love the look of the copper roof etc but understand its a bit pricey? Thanks for pics...