PDA

View Full Version : Battery Powered Grass Shears

George Bokros
08-26-2014, 4:14 PM
I have significant hand trimming where I cannot use a weedwacker / string trimmer because it damages the PVC fence. I know Bosch makes battery powered grass shears but they are somewhat pricey. My wife has already had carpal tunnel surgery and neither of us want to face that again for her or for me for the first time. She kept this trimmed when I was working and now it is both our jobs.

Can anyone recommend a good battery powered grass shear that will last and cost ~$100?

Thanks.

Greg R Bradley
08-26-2014, 6:41 PM
It will be hard to find a cordless grass shear that is really useful for most trimming. Are you sure Bosch sells one in the US?

Makita makes a bigger one but it is $100 for the bare tool so may only make sense if you have Makita LXT batteries and chargers:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XMU02Z-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-18-volt/dp/B00LOML80Y/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409091802&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=makia+grass+shear

George Bokros
08-26-2014, 6:53 PM
I am wrong, it is Makita I was thinking of. With purchasing a battery it will come to ~$200

Greg R Bradley
08-26-2014, 7:11 PM
You would still need a charger.

It really only makes sense if you have some Makita LXT kit that included batteries and charger. Makita is currently having a promotion where they include a free third battery if you buy several different kits:
http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Promotions/Free4Battery201408/

That only makes sense if you need those other tools, which are pro level including price.

I had the same problem wanting Makita's 36v chainsaw. It finally worked out when they came out with a version that used an adapter and TWO of the LXT 18v batteries, which I already had in quantity. Bosch's 36v chainsaw is not great.

Larry Frank
08-26-2014, 9:29 PM
I have tried several but not the Makita. I have the Black and Decker Li-ion version which works well for doing a little grass trimming. However, having to press a safety button and the trigger is very difficult for me. I also have had hand and wrist problems with surgery to correct. The shears work great but the buttons are difficult.

If you get the Makita, would you please let us know who you like them.

curtis rosche
08-26-2014, 10:31 PM
A lot of the yard guys that cut around the swingsets I install found an easier way. A slightly underpowered battery operated string trimmer. It doesn't have the same amount of force to break the pvc like the gas powered ones do. also thin trimming line instead of heavy thick line

David Weaver
08-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Is roundup out of the question? There are some fence spots that I have trouble with, but I have taken to keeping stuff right at the fence down by roundup once every month or so. We're eating a ton of it in our food, anyway, so might as well take advantage of it in non-food spots.

Brian Elfert
08-26-2014, 10:55 PM
You would still need a charger.

It really only makes sense if you have some Makita LXT kit that included batteries and charger. Makita is currently having a promotion where they include a free third battery if you buy several different kits:
http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Promotions/Free4Battery201408/

MAkita had a similar promotion earlier in the year with a free additional battery or a free bare tool. Homedepot.com had the combo kits for sale the last time in various combinations with the extra tool or the extra battery. They may be doing the same thing this time.