PDA

View Full Version : Solid Surface Color Fill

Tucker Alford
08-26-2014, 1:35 PM
I have been laser engraving & painting solid surface signs for years but would like a smooth finish for endurance & maintenance on an upcoming order. I have a potential job for 600 pieces, exposed to the elements in Florida. I started with 1/4" LG HiMacs material routed on my rotary machine. Before cutting out the profile I plan to fill flush with a black epoxy. I've read all the various threads on Solid Surface sign production but don't find mention of the type of epoxy being utilized. I'd prefer to not purchase the expensive proprietary tubes of adhesive in specific colors but mix my own & add color. I'd likely purchase a gallon of parts A & B, tint & mix to order. Any help on where & what to purchase would be appreciated.

Real Mercier
08-26-2014, 3:59 PM
I have done some engraved pens filling with a two part 5-minute epoxy. I used the MIXOL tints I got at my local Woodcraft. It comes in a variety of colors.

Hope that helps.

Real Mercier

Chuck Stone
08-27-2014, 12:16 AM
and some powdered marble or titanium white will give you the opaque
color you might need for filling. Even talc would work. Just mix it in well
with the epoxy. I sometimes shave pastel sticks into it for color. (got a
bunch of broken sets for free, so I tried it) Epoxy is pretty forgiving.

Tucker Alford
08-28-2014, 3:52 PM
I gave up & went the easy route. I purchased the proprietary Corian adhesive gun & tubes. Looks much better, the adhesive doesn't show any bubbles. It does shrink slightly but that will be taken care of with progressive sanding. 45 minutes to dry & overnight to cure should work out fine in production.