PDA

View Full Version : Info about Craftsman 22400

Chip Byrd
08-26-2014, 10:14 AM
If I can get this for $150 is that a good deal. I know it won't be much for resawing, but I can live with that. I have space and budget restrictions. Is this a good saw for curves in material up to 2"?

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/tls/4624063853.html

Thanks,
Chip

Dave Cullen
08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Yup. And it looks like new.

Michael Roland
08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Check out the guide assemblies. I had the earlier model of this saw with the closed base and the "rack" assembly for setting the cutting height left a lot to be desired. Basically every time I'd change the cutting height I'd have to redo the upper bearing adjustments. When I moved I sold the 22400 saw and purchased a used Grizzly G0555X.

Art Mann
08-26-2014, 12:55 PM
I own and regularly re-saw hardwoods with the older version of that saw that has an enclosed stand. It is almost identical to the low end Rikon steel frame saw. It will do up to about 9". I use a "Woodslicer" half inch re-saw blade sold by Highland woodworking. It does an excellent job but you have to go slow to compensate for the small motor. My complaint with it is the blade guides are poorly designed and require excessive fiddling to get them set right. If the saw is in good condition, $150 is a good price IMHO.

Edit: Oops! I just reread the original post and read that it is the 12" version and I have the 14". Most of my comments still would apply. It still seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you want to do detail scroll saw like work.

Edit #2: I have the same problem Michael described about the blade guide. The travel isn't exactly parallel to the blade so you have to readjust it for different cutting heights. I just leave mine at the max height since resawing is about all I do with it.

John McClanahan
08-26-2014, 6:03 PM
I have one just like it. I bought mine in 2006, on sale for $279. I like mine, and chose it over the 14" cast iron saws. It will resaw almost 7", and has a large table. The only problem I have had is the blade guide bearings wore out. I bought replacement bearings from a local bearing supply house.

John

Curt Harms
08-27-2014, 7:17 AM
Re blade guides. I recall reading about the problem of the guides not moving parallel to the blade so the blade guides require constant adjustment. The solution as I recall was to shim the column that supports the blade guides where it attaches to the saw body so it does travel parallel to the blade. I replaced the side bearings on the blade guides with oil soaked wooden blocks. I like those better for narrow blades and they work fine for 1/2" blades as well.

scott spencer
08-27-2014, 8:06 AM
Good deal at $150 IMO. It's basically a Rikon clone. I replaced the guide bearings with roller blade bearings for ~ $10 (15 minute job). The switch on mine wore out, but has been a decent performer for it's size and price. The stock blades aren't very good.....Timberwolf blades made a big difference.

Chip Byrd
08-27-2014, 8:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I picked it up last night. I gave it a once-over and everything looks good. Unfortunately, I won't be able to put it to use until Mon or Tues. I am going to call Timberwolf and get their advice (and purchase) a couple new blades to replace the Craftsman blades.

Thanks again,
Chip

Art Mann
08-27-2014, 10:12 AM
One thing about resaw blades I have learned. You don't need a 3/4" blade to do resawing. Timberwolf recommended and sold to me a 3/4" blade and it caused me a lot of trouble. A blade that large is too thick and stiff for a small, light weight saw. I was about to give up on resawing with my machine. The 1/2" blade I bought from Highland Hardware is far superior in every way to the 3/4" Timberwolf blade.