PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt miter saw

Rick Potter
08-26-2014, 2:48 AM
Got a DeWalt (715?) 12" chop saw...no slider. It is probably about 15 years old, and the switch is sticking in the on position. I am not sure if it is the switch, or if the trigger is getting stuck on the housing. Before I take it apart, I thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem, and what was the final cause.

Thanks,
Rick Potter

Matt Day
08-26-2014, 6:24 AM
I don't have that saw, but try blowing some compressed air through the area as dust can cause this problem in the switch.

Justin Ludwig
08-26-2014, 8:22 AM
I don't have that saw, but try blowing some compressed air through the area as dust can cause this problem in the switch.

+1 At 15 yrs old, it's more than likely incredibly dirty. Give it a good once over and try again. We had a Dewalt SCMS that was sticking after a few years of use. El dusto (plus August humidity) was the problemo.

John Conklin
08-26-2014, 11:18 AM
I have the same type of Dewalt that had the same problem. Kept hitting it with the air (without disassembling anything) and eventually it gave in and started working correctly. That's been a few years ago... now watch, it'll start doing it again lol.

Rick Potter
08-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Air it is...........I will report back.

Thanks,
Rick P

Rick Potter
09-25-2014, 3:09 AM
OK,

I tried the air, checked the brushes, and took apart the switch. No sawdust in there at all. I bent the contacts a bit to ensure good contact, but after hours of trying, I gave up trying to put the switch back together.

I called DeWalt to ask about a new switch, but the saw is an early 12" 705, and a lot of changes have been made. In other words, they don't make the switch any more, but you can buy a complete replacement handle, and trigger switch, but they had none in stock. I got the number of a DeWalt service office that was only a few miles away, and they did have it in stock.

I drove over and got it ($45) today and installed it. Had to rewire everything, as the new switch is not configured like the old one, including putting on new stab fittings to replace the rings on the old one.

Result...works fine.

I actually checked into getting a new one, the model 715 is pretty much the same as mine. Turns out the newer ones (type 3) are made in Taiwan, and the optional laser I wanted does not fit them. The type 2 models phased out a couple years ago were made in Mexico, and did accept the laser. As it happens, my local Lowes store has a floor model, type 2, that has been on display for at least a couple years. I talked the guy down to $180 for it, but my final offer was $150 because it is missing lots of small parts, like the arbor flange, nut, knobs etc. He wouldn't take it.

Mine is a 1995 model, type 1, made in the USA, and I figured it was worth taking a chance on the new switch. Like I said, it works fine now, but it won't take the laser either. Too bad, always wanted one.

Rick Potter

Justin Ludwig
09-25-2014, 7:59 AM
You don't want that finicky laser anyway. It has to be adjusted and readjusted and readjusted and... Get the LED light that casts a shadow of the blade. Shadows don't lie where the blade is going to hit. Only problem is you may have to retro fit it or your saw to fit because it is older. Every time I have to use a saw that doesn't possess the light like mine, I find it very cumbersome. It's such a time saver to be able to cut once accurately and not have to "walk into" a fine line.

http://www.toolup.com/images/Product/large/dewalt-DWS7085_2.jpg

Rick Potter
09-25-2014, 1:01 PM
I guess I misspoke Lud,

The one you show is what I bought for my saw a couple years ago, and it didn't fit. Not really a laser.

RP

Chris Padilla
09-25-2014, 3:16 PM
http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop/cart.cgi?db=laserkerf.dat&merchant=laserkerf

I haven't tried this but have kicked around getting one. I still make a pencil mark, bring the blade down, rotate the blade to put a carbide tooth on/near the line...then cut.