PDA

View Full Version : Alex, I'll take unknown lathe machines for $1000 (Jeopardy)

Mike vonBuelow
08-25-2014, 11:14 PM
So, this was acquired via a C*List barter... told it runs well, looks VERY solid (minus the surface rust) - but I have no idea what make/model it is :confused:

The only visible writing on the lathe rails is "Illinois G USA" - and the motor is a 1/3HP Powr Kraft made by Montgomery Ward

Any ideas?

Oh, and if anyone can show me how I should mount the motor for a multiple-pully machine, that would be most helpful!

Russell Neyman
08-25-2014, 11:55 PM
I'd be surprised if this is width $1000. IMHO a belt-driven lathe tops out at $500, but let's see.

Will follow this closely

Mike vonBuelow
08-26-2014, 12:06 AM
I see there is a similar lathe on Ebay, but it shows a Powr Kraft medallion on it - and in really good shape going for $200. Also, there's some old Montgomery Ward brochures listed, which appear to have a similar lathe on the cover... so I might have solved this.

So now it looks like I'm needing to find out how one mounts this setup... luckily my neighbor makes wood furniture, so I just need some plans drawn up

Bruce Pratt
08-26-2014, 3:00 AM
Lathe is made by Logan. They no longer make lathes, but do supply parts. See http://www.lathe.com/ and look under "Table of Contents for Lathes" and "Model Number table" for the model number on the motor plate.

Jim Underwood
08-26-2014, 8:18 AM
I've find a stepped pulley for the motor shaft and mount it so that you could flop the belt around to make different speeds. You could also mount the motor on a hinged plate from the back of the bed. That way the weight of the motor tensions the belt.

Mike vonBuelow
08-26-2014, 9:55 AM
Thx Bruce, I'll check it out

Jim, I saw something similar on youtube... motor off to side and hinged - does it provide enough tension? I'm just envisioning it bouncing around :eek: