PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly sept 13 Muncy, Pa. tent sale worth it for me?

Chad Burkhart
08-25-2014, 6:54 PM
I have never been to one of there tent sales. I am about 3 hours away from the Muncy, Pa. location. I am going to be making a purchase of a G1023RLX table saw and a G0513X2 band saw. I may be purchasing a new dust collector at the same time if the 3 hp bug hits me. I will not be able to arrive early, so I'm not shopping for a tent bargain. I guess my question is will I find sale prices on showroom items worth the headache of fighting the crowds, or should I just plan to go on another day and avoid the crowds?

thanks,
Chad

Curt Harms
08-26-2014, 8:51 AM
I haven't been to their tent sale in a few years so I don't know if they operate the same way they used to. The way it worked when I went was that there was a multi-part form on each machine. The purchaser tore the top copy off, took it to the cashier and paid for the machine then picked it up. What happened is one earlybird might tear the top sheet off 2 or 3 table saws for example even though he only intends to buy one of them. If a machine is not picked up a few hours after after the top sheet is removed - maybe 2 or 3 hours? dunno, it goes back on sale. Obviously the early birds get the most choices but getting there a bit later can have its advantages as well. When it gets later in the morning you might be able to negotiate a lower-than-posted price on what's left.

I got a $240 machine for $80 that way, the gearbox was frozen up. It looked like a pretty basic gear box so I took a chance. Brought it home, disassembled the gear box, lubed it, reassembled it and it's been working fine since. They may have discounts on new stuff as well.

Justin Jump
08-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Chad,

I am in the same boat as you. About 3 hours (Pittsburgh, PA) and my tools are a new jointer and planer.

I have all Ridgid stuff, and I am happy with the table saw, but I really want a good planer and the 6" jointer is OK, but now it's time to upgrade to 8".

I called ahead though, see my post a couple days ago, they aernt able to list the stuff that might be at the tent sale, and they are on back order on all 8" jointers, and most of the 15" planers, at least the ones with the helical heads.

I may still go up just for the experience, but I am not too sure yet.