PDA

View Full Version : Corral Sign

Deb Fisher
08-25-2014, 1:29 PM
I have been asked to engrave a name and graphic on a piece of white oak that will be attached to the gate of a round pen. Right now the piece is pretty rough. The customer wants to keep the rough look but am wondering if should plane it down a little bit to improve the quality of the engraving. If it is really rough and "tufted" won't the weather and such wear away the engraving? Or should it be finished with something after completed. It needs to look as natural as the rest of the round pen so cannot be shiny or anything. I just don't want them to come back soon and tell me the engraving disappeared. Anyone with experience with natural white oak? The experimental piece turned out really nice and dark but want it to stay that way.

Mike Null
08-25-2014, 2:25 PM
First, you'll have to engrave it at least 6 or 8 times to get the depth you'll need then the weather will probably render your work illegible within a year. Your customer would be better off having this routed.

Deb Fisher
08-25-2014, 3:48 PM
Thank you for your information. I was kind of thinking that. I am going to research computerized routers. It is a family member that manufacturers the round pens and would really like to "tap in" to their clients. I am trying to find my "niche" in this business. If these signs were made for inside i.e. as over horse stalls in barns there shouldn't be problem should there? My sister-in-law just texted me and asked if we went ahead and put a sealant or epoxy over the outdoor signs-would they hold up? Appreciate your opinion.

Mike Null
08-25-2014, 3:58 PM
White oak is a great wood that weathers well. I don't know of a sealer that doesn't have to be re-applied yearly.