PDA

View Full Version : Why wear safety glasses - recommendations?

Jeremy Gibson
07-07-2005, 4:22 PM
I'm pretty good about wearing safety glasses when opperating machinery, but when I'm sweeping or cleaning the garage I don't. Three days ago, after cutting threaded steel rod on a new workbench, I got something in my eye. After a visit to the optometrist, it turned out to be a piece of metal embedded in my cornea and starting to rust!:(

So, I plan on getting some better or more comfortable glasses. What do you use (brand, style, etc)?

Don Baer
07-07-2005, 4:26 PM
Jeremy;
Been there done that. I had a sliver of metal come frlying off of a casting that I was surfacing on a Bridgeport years ago and I know how misserable it can feel. Now that I've gotten older I wear glasses just to see. What ever kind ou get make sure they have side shields on them.

Chris Padilla
07-07-2005, 4:27 PM
http://www.ontargetsportsonline.com/Shooting_Accs/Eye_Ear/EyeProtection/Genesis.asp

I really like the Uvex brand and the above site has very good prices and excellent service. Google Uvex and you can learn more about them. These suckers do not fog up. :)

Brian Buckley
07-07-2005, 5:10 PM
Jeremy,

If you ever have a MRI, be sure and let them know you have a metal fragment in your eye. I was told this procedure could be dangerous if they dont know.
I finally broke down and got prescription safety glasses last year. I was like you in that I wore my safety glasses most of the time. I now always have them on because I am blinder than a bat with out my glasses.

Brian

John Gregory
07-07-2005, 5:38 PM
I wear glasses now to see. However my newest pair has small lenses, my kids told me the big lenses are out of style. I am going to get some prescription safely glasses soon.

Bill Lewis
07-07-2005, 5:45 PM
Another vote for UVEX. Specifically Uvex Genesis. Very comfortable IMO. Avoid any mirrored lenses, they scratch easily. Probably not much of a problem, as mirrored aren't really all that good for indoor use anyway.

Jim Becker
07-07-2005, 5:54 PM
I use the $29 safety glasses (with wings) and cheater lenses (for close visition) from Duluth Trading...and I put them on and leave them on, even if just sweeping. This includes whenever I'm doing work in the house. I also wear safety eye wear when I'm on the tractor for any reason with lenses appropriate for the light level.

Brian Austin
07-07-2005, 6:25 PM
I've got safety glasses lying all over the place. I wear them when running any machine, hand tool or even sweeping or finishing. My 10 year old nephew knows the rules and that's the first thing he looks for when he walks in the shop (he has his own pair). I tend to buy the cheaper, Home Depot generic stuff but it seems to do the job.

Jeremy Gibson
07-07-2005, 9:23 PM
If you ever have a MRI, be sure and let them know you have a metal fragment in your eye. I was told this procedure could be dangerous if they dont know.
I finally broke down and got prescription safety glasses last year. I was like you in that I wore my safety glasses most of the time. I now always have them on because I am blinder than a bat with out my glasses.

Thanks for the advice! Luckily the optomitrist used what looked like a miniature dremmel and abrasive tip to scratch the surface and remove the metal. Now I'm just healing from the scratch.

Jamie Buxton
07-07-2005, 9:52 PM
I dislike the plastic one-size-fits-all safety glasses found at builder stores and woodworker catalogs. They have two problems. First, they don't fit well. I wear safety glasses for many hours at a time, and it is important that they fit. Second, the plastic lenses attract dust by static electricity, and they scratch easily when I try to wipe it off. The result is that I used to see the work through a cloud, which is not a good idea at all.

I now wear safety glasses which I bought at an opticians. Opticians have access to all the fitting variations which real glasses have -- longer or shorter temples, different bridge widths across the nose, and different lense shapes. Opticians also can fit safety glasses with glass lenses -- which work much better in a wood shop than plastic. These glasses are OHSA-certified, with heavy-duty frames and lenses. With no correction in the lenses, they cost about $75. Of course, if your eyes need correction, you can get that too.

John Stevens
07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
So, I plan on getting some better or more comfortable glasses. What do you use (brand, style, etc)?

I used to do some amateur bike racing, so I use an old pair of Oakleys with a clear lens. I have a couple other pairs of glasses of similar quality (Rudy Project, Performance) with tinted lenses for working outdoors. I tried wearing "safety glasses" but they had too much distortion for close work. A really good pair of sunglasses plus the optional clear lenses will cost you dearly, but IMO you get your money's worth every time you put them on. They're also typically very sturdy if they're made for athletic (ab)use.

Just don't let anyone else see you while you're wearing Oakleys in the shop or around the yard. The further you are from an athletic event, the more they make you look like a hoser.

Charles McKinley
07-07-2005, 10:23 PM
So Jeremy,

How long did the Dr. go on about having to remove multiple pieces of metal since you waited until it rusted???? DAMHIKT

Do not go into the shop while you are using the topical anesthetic on your eye. You can get another foriegn body in your eye and not know it.

You already experienced the most important reason to wear safety glasses. Foriegn body removal from your eye is no fun.

I now wear a wrap around pair of glasses from NORTH safety. They have an insert that attaches to the bridge that holds my prescription lenses. I bought them at a welding supply store. The big lense glasses with the side shields have too much room where things can get in. All three of the times I have had objects removed from my eye I had glasses with side shields on and one time a face shield also.

Take care of your eyes. We don't want to call you patch.

Steven Wilson
07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a pair of Titmus frames (proper OSHA approved frames for safety glasses) that house safety lenses that fit my perscription. For close work I use a flip down magnifier.

larry merlau
07-08-2005, 10:48 AM
http://www.ontargetsportsonline.com/Shooting_Accs/Eye_Ear/EyeProtection/Genesis.asp

I really like the Uvex brand and the above site has very good prices and excellent service. Google Uvex and you can learn more about them. These suckers do not fog up. :)

hey cris i was just there and didnt see any bmw versions, or redneck versions

Michael Gibbons
07-08-2005, 10:58 AM
I have to wear safety glasses at work all the time so that practice has spilled over to my woodworking. Feel odd without them. On the other hand, I once got a tiny piece of shrapnel in my eye while wearing saftey glasses. I was grinding a part off a car exhaust and the piece bounced off my cheek and into my eye because I had my head tilted back. Just goes to show you can't be too careful.

Robert Tarr
07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Another vote for Oakley's for the same reason Steven mentions (used to race bikes.) I have a pair of M frames that I wear for just about everything. Best of all, they fit and don't fog! I use them in the shop and out in the yard, while shooting and quite honestly, forget that I have them on most of the time. They are the most comfortable safety glasses I own (have about 15 different pair.) I even wear them under a full face shield, depending on the task. Expensive, yes...worth it? In my opinion, absolutely, because I wear them, for the reasons I normally take other glasses off (fit, lightweight, non-fogging.)

Have fun.

Robert

Sam Chambers
07-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Jeremy:

I use these goggles (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31225&cat=1,42207,42216&ap=1) from Uvex. Technically, they're chemical splash goggles. The lenses are polycarbonate, as are my prescription glasses that I wear underneath, so 2 layers of polycarbonate should be sufficient protection. They're very comfortable, they don't fog up, and they really keep the sawdust out of my eyes.

mike malone
07-08-2005, 2:38 PM
Jeremy!!!!!....ouch!!!
mike

Dan Forman
07-08-2005, 3:53 PM
After the recent thread on hearing protectection, I went to the link Chris just provided and got two pairs of glasses and the Leighten "Leightning" hearing protector. My order arrived about 3 days later via Priority mail.

I got a pair of the Genesis that Chris recommended, and a pair of the "Tomcats", which feature a scratch resistant coating. Both are very comfortable, though the Genesis feel better when worn with the earmuffs, as the earpieces are thinner than those on the Tomcats, which kind of dig into the area directly behind the ear under the pressure of the muffs. This is really not an issue for short term use, but after an hour or so it gets a bit tender back there.

I wear prescription glasses too (nearsighted), but can still see good enough to work without them. I will be looking for "cheaters" soon enough though, as it is getting harder to read 32nd's on a ruler.

The earmuffs work extremely well, even better than the foam plugs I have used previously.

I wear hearing aids, a result of 10 years of making a living playing lead guitar in various bands, so I am very conscious about protecting what hearing I have left. While the muffs are slightly less comfortable than plugs, they can be put on and taken off without having to remove and replace the hearing aids or plugs, so they are more convenient. For long stretches, I may still use plugs for comfort, secondary to the earpiece issue previously mentioned.

Dan

JayStPeter
07-08-2005, 5:29 PM
Another vote for Oakley's for the same reason Steven mentions (used to race bikes.) I have a pair of M frames that I wear for just about everything. Best of all, they fit and don't fog! I use them in the shop and out in the yard, while shooting and quite honestly, forget that I have them on most of the time. They are the most comfortable safety glasses I own (have about 15 different pair.) I even wear them under a full face shield, depending on the task. Expensive, yes...worth it? In my opinion, absolutely, because I wear them, for the reasons I normally take other glasses off (fit, lightweight, non-fogging.)

Have fun.

Robert

Same here. For the same reasons. I raced mountain bikes, but same idea.

I had a pair of older m-frames I used in the shop, but they were broken (unrelated to the shop). I need to use Oakleys warranty to get a replacement at a discount (only about $60 :eek: ).

Jay

Chris Padilla
07-08-2005, 6:19 PM
After the recent thread on hearing protection, I went to the link Chris just provided and got two pairs of glasses and the Leight "Leightning" hearing protector. My order arrived about 3 days later via Priority mail.

I got a pair of the Genesis that Chris recommended, and a pair of the "Tomcats", which feature a scratch resistant coating. Both are very comfortable, though the Genesis feel better when worn with the earmuffs, as the earpieces are thinner than those on the Tomcats, which kind of dig into the area directly behind the ear under the pressure of the muffs. This is really not an issue for short term use, but after an hour or so it gets a bit tender back there.

The earmuffs work extremely well, even better than the foam plugs I have used previously.

Dan

Dan,

I just ordered my little girl (3 years +) a pair of her very own Howard Leight Leightning 31 earmuffs. Every time she saw one of us with a pair on, she wanted to wear a pair so mom or dad had to do without. They are, of course, quite large for her but they are quite adjustable and fit her well as near as I can tell. She looks hilarious with them on.

I also picked her up a pair of the Uvex Genesis safety glasses. Again, they are enormous for her but they are also adjustable in angle and length (did you notice that? very nice adjustments). I never allow her to get close enough to anything to warrant safety glasses but she always wants to emulate one of us. She'll grow into them over time I suppose.

I agree with your assesments thus far: The earmuffs are incredibly comfortable even combined with the Uvex Genesis safety glasses. I can wear the combo all day and often forget I have them on. You will enjoy them and even take the time to reach for them to put them on! :)

Tom Morrison
07-09-2005, 1:43 AM
I got a pair of these bifocal safety glasses at work, and I liked them so much I ordered a couple pair for home use...
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dewalt-reinforcer-rx.html
They're reasonably priced, too. Shipping is a little steep, but they arrived fast, and two pair still came to under $30 IIRC.

Tom

Dan Forman
07-09-2005, 3:34 AM
Chris---I'll bet your daughter will look too cute in that safety gear.

Dan

Jim Becker
07-09-2005, 7:47 AM
I got a pair of these bifocal safety glasses at work, and I liked them so much I ordered a couple pair for home use...
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dewalt-reinforcer-rx.html
They're reasonably priced, too. Shipping is a little steep, but they arrived fast, and two pair still came to under $30 IIRC.

Tom, how wide is the cheater part of these glasses? I like the design, but am using the ones from Duluth Trading simply because they have a larger close-range area. The less espensive ones I was using prior drove me absolutely nuts as that part of the lense was so narrow.

George Matthews
07-09-2005, 9:35 AM
I use the $29 safety glasses (with wings) and cheater lenses (for close visition) from Duluth Trading...

This one Jim? http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/10314.asp

Jim Becker
07-09-2005, 9:39 AM
This one Jim?

Yup. That's the one. The cheater lense is larger than on the model that is $10 cheaper and more comfortable for "me". (I also buy their long-tail pocket tees and wear them nearly daily, even when not in the shop...very comfortable and they stay tucked in)

Bob Noles
07-09-2005, 2:16 PM
Jim,

I know this is somewhat of an impossible question, but I am trying to figure what magnification power would suite me best. My vision is not too bad but I find reading glasses comfortable. Any suggestions on how to decide which one to order short of going with one of each and seeing which one works :eek: ?

Dan Forman
07-09-2005, 4:43 PM
Bob---Just go with the same power of your reading glasses. If you don't know the power, find a display of readers in a store and just try some on until you find the most comfortable strength, then write down the power listed on the glasses (so you don't forget on the way home).

Dan

Chris Padilla
07-09-2005, 5:18 PM
Bob,

A visit with your eye doctor should prove invaluable. Jamie Buxton posted something similar.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-09-2005, 7:43 PM
I didn't wear mine one day whilst hacking away a brick retaining wall in the backyard. A big cement chip went into my eye...luckily Jana's optometrist removed it (it was Saturday)...talk about painful! I keep mine close by.

Jim Becker
07-09-2005, 8:19 PM
I know this is somewhat of an impossible question, but I am trying to figure what magnification power would suite me best. My vision is not too bad but I find reading glasses comfortable. Any suggestions on how to decide which one to order short of going with one of each and seeing which one works ?

As was stated, the same as your current reading glasses is the best place to start. Mine are only 1.5x at present. The suggestion to stop at any drug store is also a good one to see what you like...and take your tape measure and small square with you so you can see how the magnification works with those... ;)

Tom Morrison
07-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Tom, how wide is the cheater part of these glasses? I like the design, but am using the ones from Duluth Trading simply because they have a larger close-range area. The less espensive ones I was using prior drove me absolutely nuts as that part of the lense was so narrow.

Jim,
The bifocal part measures about 1-3/16 inch wide by 1/2 inch tall, if that tells you anything. The reading area is a lot bigger than that of my regular prescription progressive glasses, but I don't know how they compare to the Duluth Trading brand. I bought a pair of the 1.5 diopter and have some 2.0's at work, and they both do good for me. I also got a pair of 2.0's for my father, but he says they're not quite strong enough for him.

Tom

Bob Noles
07-10-2005, 5:45 AM
Looks like I'll be heading to the drug store before I order.

Thanks for all the good advice and the reminder of how important safety equipment is.