PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10-22 questions...

Chuck Wintle
08-25-2014, 11:29 AM
This post is a question about the Ruger 10-22, mods please delete if the post is not appropriate. Anyways, I was just wondering if someone knows if the "takedown" 10-22 model is inherently less accurate than the standard "carbine" model. Or if there is no difference.

Tom M King
08-25-2014, 4:47 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of reviews that a Google search could find. A stock 10/22 is not that great to start with, but useable for something like shooting squirrels. We mostly shoot paper, so like them to not make multiple holes. We kept replacing parts on a 10/22 until we got to the point that we had put the original gun back together completely. I don't think there is a single Ruger part left in it, but it will drive tacks. We were shooting with some friends, and one of them asked my Son if he could hit a quarter at 100 feet. He asked the questioner where he wanted him to hit it, and proceeded to make a head shot.

Moses Yoder
08-25-2014, 7:24 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of reviews that a Google search could find. A stock 10/22 is not that great to start with, but useable for something like shooting squirrels. We mostly shoot paper, so like them to not make multiple holes. We kept replacing parts on a 10/22 until we got to the point that we had put the original gun back together completely. I don't think there is a single Ruger part left in it, but it will drive tacks. We were shooting with some friends, and one of them asked my Son if he could hit a quarter at 100 feet. He asked the questioner where he wanted him to hit it, and proceeded to make a head shot.

This is the first negative review I have ever heard of the Ruger 10/22. I think at some level the increased price for very small improvement in performance would come into play. I had a Ruger 10/22 with 30 shot clip, bought at the neighbors yard sale for $150. It was my most favorite gun. Not as accurate at 300 yards as my .222 but still my favorite gun.

David Weaver
08-25-2014, 9:20 PM
I've always read the same as tom says about ruger semi autos in general, that they're a bit shot on out of the box accuracy.

If you sit down at a bench rest at 50 yards, though, you'll find there aren't many that shoot too accurately with many different boxes of stuff. Most of them (in the low price range) have bad triggers, which doesn't help, either.

Tom M King
08-25-2014, 9:21 PM
I didn't intend it to be negative at all. It's a great little gun, but not a super accurate target rifle. We learned a lot in the process of upgrading every part of it, so we don't think it was money thrown away. We've run many bricks through the 10/22s, and it's high on our list of favorite guns too. One that is dead nuts accurate is just more fun. Once you get a super accurate one, it's still cheap to shoot a bunch of rounds.

curtis rosche
08-26-2014, 1:45 AM
I have the S&W 15/22 and its very fun. Has a redot scope zeroed in to about 60 yards. Isnt a nail driver but it easy to hit a beer bottle at 100 yards

Steve Rozmiarek
08-26-2014, 9:35 AM
I'll toss in my opinion... I've had several 10-22s over the years, and agree with Tom's take. They are a good little rifle, but not in the tack driver league right out of the box. I'm talking all touching at 100 yards, any of mine just don't do that. They are perfectly acceptable though, and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I suppose time spent finding the ammo each likes would make a difference, but that's just not how I use them. Everyone should enjoy a 10-22 at some point in their life.

Takedown rifles are inherently less accurate because they have another variable in them. It's possible to make a takedown mechanism that is resistant to a misalignment, but it's impossible to completely preclude one. Why do you want a takedown? A standard 10-22 is not a long weapon. I personally would go with a target pistol if length and accuracy were critical factors. Browning Buckmark comes to mind.

Von Bickley
08-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Are you guys having a hard time finding 22 ammo? Our local Walmart gets some in occasionally, but it sells out in about 30 minutes, and they have a 3 box limit. A 3 box limit for a 100 round box or a 3 box limit on a 550 round bulk box. How much sense does that make?

curtis rosche
08-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Are you guys having a hard time finding 22 ammo? Our local Walmart gets some in occasionally, but it sells out in about 30 minutes, and they have a 3 box limit. A 3 box limit for a 100 round box or a 3 box limit on a 550 round bulk box. How much sense does that make?
local store has 1400rd buckets for about 70$ and it doesn't foul the gun up near as bad as walmart ammo does!

Erik Loza
08-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Our local Academy just started getting a fair stock of .22LR back in. Not CCI Mini Mag, unfortunately. It's the Mexican Aguila stuff. Have not had a chance to shoot any of it yet but did pick up several boxes.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Todd Burch
08-26-2014, 11:19 PM
I've bought 2 take-downs. One for myself and one for my son. I love it. Plenty accurate enough for me. I put a detachable scope on mine and a trigger kit. Very nice little package.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-27-2014, 9:38 AM
No shortage here now Von. There was, but my strategic location halfway between Cabelas first store/headquarters and their third (I think) helps my supply chain recover pretty fast. :) There was a time that even that didn't help, and some of the lower demand bigger stuff like .243 was cheaper than low quality .223.

Judson Green
08-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Nice thing about the 10/22 though its unmatched for aftermarket stuff.

Tom M King
08-27-2014, 11:22 AM
We also have a 10/22 Magnum, with a heavy barrel and Hogue overmolded rubber stock, and it's a fun little gun too.

Don Morris
08-28-2014, 10:11 PM
My 10/22 is close to what I would call a tack driver at 50 yds with the right ammo. However, I've done most all the Volquartsen mods and a Kidd bolt/spring extension. Yes, it's sensitive to ammo/brand, mostly preferring better ($$$) stuff. But with the right stuff, it's accurate and fun to shoot. At 100 yds it's close enough to being a tack driver for me. And still doesn't break the bank when I put 100+ rounds down range. My 15/22 (with bipod) is also fun. Very close to being as accurate, but looks more "awesome". The 10/22 has a more "classic" look. I have the sporter model with checkered stock and leather sling.

Von Bickley
08-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Just for discussion...... I haven't done any 22 target shooting in a couple of years, but when I was target shooting, I had much better accuracy with solid points than hollow points.

What about you guys?

Bill Cunningham
08-30-2014, 9:53 PM
It's funny, in Canada we hear about the .22 shortage in the U.S. but I have not seen any shortage in Canada, and it all comes from the U.S ! For the last decade, I could walk into any Walmart or gun shop and buy any amount I wanted. As for rifles, the best general tack driver I have ever owned is my old semi auto Nylon 66 (Apache black model). The only .22 I have ever owned that was more accurate was a Anshutz 190 single shot target rifle.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-31-2014, 12:53 AM
It's funny, in Canada we hear about the .22 shortage in the U.S. but I have not seen any shortage in Canada, and it all comes from the U.S ! For the last decade, I could walk into any Walmart or gun shop and buy any amount I wanted. As for rifles, the best general tack driver I have ever owned is my old semi auto Nylon 66 (Apache black model). The only .22 I have ever owned that was more accurate was a Anshutz 190 single shot target rifle.

Nylon 66, I've wanted one of those for 30 years now. Prices just keep going up!

Don Morris
08-31-2014, 2:43 AM
Anshutz is ackowledged as one of the Worlds top target rifle. In my Izaak Walton organization we have a member who competes on the National Level and uses an Anshutz. He told me after he shot his once, after that every thing else was crap. But you pay plenty for one of those puppies. As for the .22LR supply, it's better now than a year or two ago. Still not great, and the prices have gone down some, but we're paying more than we did before the supply shortage. I haven't seen a brick of 22LR in my local store in years. Usually, the most I can get is about 100 rounds at a time. Occassionally, I can buy a couple hundred rounds of some brand I'm not familiar with that comes in. Cabelas and other stores like that carry sales on 22LR, but I haven't seen them sell bricks of it. I have seen bricks of 22LR at Gun Shows that wasn't terribly expensive, but wasn't what I would call cheap. My wife was attending a family affair in Montana, where they got into the topic of buying ammunition. Somebody mentioned they knew someone who bought ammo by the pallet. She didn't follow up on that. I wish she did.

Rich Engelhardt
08-31-2014, 7:45 AM
I have an old Marlin/Glenfield M60 that's way more accurate than it has a right to be.

I also have a very pretty Browning BLR Grade II that's little more than a wall hanger or safe queen - It's a lot of things, but, accurate isn't one of those things.

Doug W Swanson
09-01-2014, 1:53 PM
My father in-law has the take down version of the 10/22. I shot it a few times and it seems to be as accurate as my stainless 10/22 was out of the box. I've since done a few things and added a scope to my gun so I prefer my 10/22 now. If you prefer the take down version for storage or traveling, it is a decent gun for that.

Can't really go wrong with a Ruger!

Tom Stenzel
09-01-2014, 3:18 PM
I have an old Marlin/Glenfield M60 that's way more accurate than it has a right to be.

I remember when I bought my Glenfield 60 from Kmart for $45. It's proved plenty accurate for plinking and some rabbit hunting. The only thing I dislike about it is loading/unloading the tubular magazine. The Ruger 10-22 magazine is way better in that regard. When I shoot I normally take a bolt action Marlin I bought at a garage sale.

Chuck, I have a friend that has the takedown 10-22, he's happy with it. Not sure what degree of precision would satisfy you.

-Tom

Mac McQuinn
09-01-2014, 4:59 PM
The take down Ruger 10/22 is ironically the best shooting 10/22 I've ever shot. The 10/22 is basically the small block Chevy of .22's, there's a endless line of accuracy improvement accessories you can retrofit, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Ammo plays a huge role in accuracy, while ammo is a bit scarce right now, keep trying different product and documenting results to find the sweet spot in ammo for your Ruger. Typically my interests run towards bench rest .22 RF rifles such as Anschutz, Cooper or BRNO, If you make the 1/4" club at 50yds, you're home.:)
Mac

This post is a question about the Ruger 10-22, mods please delete if the post is not appropriate. Anyways, I was just wondering if someone knows if the "takedown" 10-22 model is inherently less accurate than the standard "carbine" model. Or if there is no difference.

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2014, 7:52 PM
I remember when I bought my Glenfield 60 from Kmart for $45. It's proved plenty accurate for plinking and some rabbit hunting. The only thing I dislike about it is loading/unloading the tubular magazine. The Ruger 10-22 magazine is way better in that regard. When I shoot I normally take a bolt action Marlin I bought at a garage sale.

Chuck, I have a friend that has the takedown 10-22, he's happy with it. Not sure what degree of precision would satisfy you.

-Tom

tom, i guess my concern was the repeatability of the accuracy after the rifle was taken apart and put together a number of times. But my logic tells me that ruger would not put a rifle on the market that would become inaccurate with use.

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2014, 7:53 PM
The take down Ruger 10/22 is ironically the best shooting 10/22 I've ever shot. The 10/22 is basically the small block Chevy of .22's, there's a endless line of accuracy improvement accessories you can retrofit, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Ammo plays a huge role in accuracy, while ammo is a bit scarce right now, keep trying different product and documenting results to find the sweet spot in ammo for your Ruger. Typically my interests run towards bench rest .22 RF rifles such as Anschutz, Cooper or BRNO, If you make the 1/4" club at 50yds, you're home.:)
Mac
Thanks for the info.

Don Morris
09-05-2014, 1:31 AM
Have you looked at the 50th anniversary model? One of the reasons my son put a HOLD on his idea of getting a Take-Down, is he took a look at the 50th. Sweet!

Chuck Wintle
09-05-2014, 5:58 AM
Have you looked at the 50th anniversary model? One of the reasons my son put a HOLD on his idea of getting a Take-Down, is he took a look at the 50th. Sweet!

i think he is now looking at the standard carbine version with a wood stock.

Bill Cunningham
09-07-2014, 7:34 PM
Anshutz is ackowledged as one of the Worlds top target rifle. In my Izaak Walton organization we have a member who competes on the National Level and uses an Anshutz. He told me after he shot his once, after that every thing else was crap. But you pay plenty for one of those puppies. As for the .22LR supply, it's better now than a year or two ago. Still not great, and the prices have gone down some, but we're paying more than we did before the supply shortage. I haven't seen a brick of 22LR in my local store in years
That's the strange part. I have never had any trouble buying bricks of LRs Stingers,Thunderbolts, even the 550 packs of Winchester hollowpoint cheap shots. And they all come from the U.S.

Bill Cunningham
09-07-2014, 7:42 PM
Nylon 66, I've wanted one of those for 30 years now. Prices just keep going up!
50 years ago I used to drool over them at the local hardware store. They used to cost $66.00 in Canada at that time. This particular rifle was given to me by my daughters father in law when the Liberals up here passed the firearms registration and licensing laws (now being radically changed by conservatives). He didn't want to get involved with that so he just gave me the rifle, and I love it. This rifle hits everything you put the front sight on.

Charles McKinley
09-08-2014, 7:18 PM
Hi Chuck,

I'm an instructor with Project Appleseed and have read a lot on the performance of the 10/22 take-down from other instructors that have them. If every thing is within spec on it it is as accurate as a standard 10/22. One thing that need attention if accuracy drops off is the nut used to attach the barrel. There have been some bad barrels that Ruger has replaced under warranty.

If you want indepth feed back on the check out Rimfire Central. It is a well moderated and friendly place like the Creek.

Chuck Wintle
09-08-2014, 7:28 PM
Hi Chuck,

I'm an instructor with Project Appleseed and have read a lot on the performance of the 10/22 take-down from other instructors that have them. If every thing is within spec on it it is as accurate as a standard 10/22. One thing that need attention if accuracy drops off is the nut used to attach the barrel. There have been some bad barrels that Ruger has replaced under warranty.

If you want indepth feed back on the check out Rimfire Central. It is a well moderated and friendly place like the Creek.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the info....

chuck