PDA

View Full Version : Nexabond on Painted Surfaces?

Al Launier
08-24-2014, 8:58 AM
What is the general consensus on the use of Nexabond on "painted" surfaces. I realize it would be only as strong as the adhesion of the paint itself to the wood, but does Nexabond adhere well to paint?

Al Launier
08-24-2014, 10:48 AM
If not Nexabond is there a recommendation for a similar contact adhesive that glues painted surfaces, allows 3-5 minutes of working time, sets in 8-24 hrs, is clear, perhaps a gel to avoid running?

Rich Engelhardt
08-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Hide glue will work on most painted surfaces. (it's not a contact cement though)
So will contact cement - the original solvent based stuff.

A cellulose based adhesive will also work. (also - not a contact cement)

Shoe Goo - the original formula
The Amazing Goop

IIRC, Roo Glue will also work, but, that one I haven't tried personally. The other's I mentioned I used at one point or another.

Elmer's Glue will also work - however - it has a lot of slip and slide to it. If this is a vertical surface you'll have to use some kind of method to hold the glued piece in place.

You are absolutely correct that the bond will only be as good as the bond of the paint to the substrate.

What is it exactly you want to glue and what do you want to glue it to?

Al Launier
08-24-2014, 8:45 PM
I glued up the project. It is shown in my last thread "Thread: Getting a jump on Christmas (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?221032-Getting-a-jump-on-Christmas)"

Thanks for your feedback. Wanting to complete this project, I decided to use Loctite super glue in the gel form. So far it seems to be holding well.

Rich Engelhardt
08-25-2014, 7:02 AM
Should be fine.