PDA

View Full Version : need a new lawnmower.

ken masoumi
08-23-2014, 7:22 PM
I remember 7-8 months ago I asked for your recommendation for a snowblower,I listened to you then and I'm glad I did because the Ariens snowblower that was recommended worked flawlessly last winter,now I'm here again looking for your advice and recommendation on a lawn mower.

the yard I have is less that 1/2 acre with a few trees,lots of bumps ,small hills,big hills,and a long driveway with a deep slope.
I am seriously considering a self propelled gas lawn mower with variable speed for when I go up the driveway to cut the grass in front of the house, or for when I need to go up and down those hills in the yard.the push mower I now have has been ok but I'm getting too old to push this thing up and down the yard for 2 hours every other week,I need something not too heavy .something simple, easy to use.

What brand do you own and/or recommend?rear wheel drive or not? what makes/types I should stay away from?
Does Ariens also make good reliable lawn mowers?I noticed they have a model with "Swivel wheels" (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/classic-lm21sw-self-propelled-mower-swivel-wheel-kawasaki/828596) like a dolly for turning tight corners,HD also sells Toro,Lawn-boy,what about them?
Please let me know your opinion.

Paul McGaha
08-23-2014, 7:45 PM
Hi Ken,

As for self propelled mowers, I suggest you check out Honda lawn mowers. We've had one the last 4 years or so and it's done really well. No issues. It starts, runs and cuts well.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Michael Weber
08-23-2014, 7:54 PM
I have a Toro "personal pace" mower I got years (10 or more) ago. It was the more expensive of the two personal pace models available at the time. Believe it has a 7.5 HP motor. The dealer really recommended it over the cheaper model. I've been delighted with it. The faster you walk the faster it goes without any extra effort. It has a battery starter. Battery went dead years ago as would be expected. I never replaced it because the thing is still so easy to start. Pump it 2 or 3 times and it starts on the first pull. I drain the fuel out at the end of the season, let it run dry, then disconnect the fuel hose so the carb doesn't gum up. Don't know if the quality is the same as it was or if they have "special models" for the big box stores.

Dave Lehnert
08-23-2014, 8:04 PM
I have always liked Toro as a brand. I had an old Wheel Horse riding mower ( Toro owns Wheel Horse) Even after 15 or 20 years I could get any part for it from my dealer next day.

David Weaver
08-23-2014, 8:11 PM
Always was a wheel horse person, dad still has two (ones 40 years old, and the other is 25, and they both get used heavily), but now I use a push mower and I think there's only one to get - Honda. I've got one that's 10 years old and I think I've changed the plug once and the oil one time a year.

Mine's old enough that it's single speed, but the new ones are 3 I believe (the harmony entry level mower that's about $400).

Lots of torque, quiet, starts on the first pull every single time, easy on gas and the deck is nice and deep and the mulch function works well. I mow a quarter acre on less than a five gallon can each year, including fall leaf clean up.

ken masoumi
08-23-2014, 8:19 PM
Hi Ken,

As for self propelled mowers, I suggest you check out Honda lawn mowers. We've had one the last 4 years or so and it's done really well. No issues. It starts, runs and cuts well.

Good luck with it.

PHM

There's a model that someone recommended it is Honda HRX 217HYC (http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hyc), he says in 10 plus years he's owned it there has been not a single issue with it.

I have a Toro "personal pace" mower I got years (10 or more) ago. .
I just read in a review that TOROs have the thickest/heaviest frames in residential lawn mowers,I don't know if it's true or not but with thick sheet metal there's less chance of rust.

ken masoumi
08-23-2014, 8:25 PM
So far ,Toro & Honda,gets the thumbs up.How about John Deere? these names have always meant good quality.

Paul McGaha
08-23-2014, 8:31 PM
There's a model that someone recommended it is Honda HRX 217HYC (http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hyc), he says in 10 plus years he's owned it there has been not a single issue with it.

I just read in a review that TOROs have the thickest/heaviest frames in residential lawn mowers,I don't know if it's true or not but with thick sheet metal there's less chance of rust.

2 very good brands here no doubt. If I were in the market for a new mower these are the 2 I'd be looking at.

John M Wilson
08-23-2014, 9:00 PM
There's a model that someone recommended it is Honda HRX 217HYC (http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hyc).

I have a Honda HRX self-propelled walk-behind with the hydrostatic transmission. I've had this for 10+ years, and if it ever dies, I'll get another. The hydrostatic transmission, although pricey, helps me maneuver around trees, flower boxes, and up and down the hills on my lot. Highly recommended.

Myk Rian
08-23-2014, 9:30 PM
Whatever you get, don't buy a Delta.
Parts may not be available for it. :rolleyes::D

ken masoumi
08-23-2014, 9:36 PM
Whatever you get, don't buy a Delta.
Parts may not be available for it. :rolleyes::D
Lol,I hear you.:D

Stan Calow
08-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Gone through about 10 different mowers over the years. Had a J Deere - lots of problems and an indifferent dealer. Have a Honda 3 years now and its the best I've ever had. Always starts on the first pull.

Moses Yoder
08-24-2014, 5:19 AM
I am tickled pink with my Craigslist find. Sears mower from the '80s. It was bought new and then run until the air filter clogged and it didn't run anymore; after that it was put in a barn until recently found by this guy who repairs and resells mowers. He rebuilt the carb and installed a new filter. I traded in a non-running mower and paid $50 cash. I expect it to last 20 years.

Jim Matthews
08-24-2014, 7:14 AM
I use a commercial walk-behind Lesco, which is now also branded as Cub Cadet.

I recommend the Toro mowers, for their T-Bar steering.
The smallest mower I would consider for a yard your size is made by Billy Goat.

I don't know what's available, above the 48th parallel.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/professional-contractor/mowers/mid-size-walk-behind-mowers/pages/series.aspx?sid=floating-deck-gear-drive-mowers
http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Categories/Detail/homepro-finish-mower-residential

Wayne Lovell
08-24-2014, 7:57 AM
IMO Deere may still be the gold standard in the large Ag equipment (200K +) but in their smaller tractors and residential equipment they are charging way more for green paint than it is worth.

Myk Rian
08-24-2014, 8:22 AM
IMO Deere may still be the gold standard in the large Ag equipment (200K +) but in their smaller tractors and residential equipment they are charging way more for green paint than it is worth.

And we have a Bingo.

ken masoumi
08-24-2014, 9:36 AM
Thank you all ,great comments and very helpful tips so far,I think I'll stay clear of John Deere,after seeing what's available south of the border I am going to expand my search to more than just the big box stores,the only worry I have is how tight a self propelled mower can turn in my bumpy yard,do I have to chase this thing and only cut in circles or could I go back and forth leaving an overlapping tracks?

I use a commercial walk-behind Lesco, which is now also branded as Cub Cadet.

I recommend the Toro mowers, for their T-Bar steering.
The smallest mower I would consider for a yard your size is made by Billy Goat.
l (http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Categories/Detail/homepro-finish-mower-residential)
Thanks for the link,that Billy Goat (http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Categories/Detail/homepro-finish-mower-residential) seems to be the perfect mower for me,,I'm going to see if I can find their dealer up here,it has all the features I'm looking for in a mower,as I mentioned ,I'm concerned about how I could turn with these heavy mowers , Ariens,Toro,and now Billy Goat mowers all seem to have that concern resolved.

I appreciate all your help,please keep it coming.

Brian Elfert
08-24-2014, 3:56 PM
The commercial guys mostly say that belt drive walk behinds are a pain to use. They say to get a hydrostatic drive instead, but more money. A model a lot of the commercial guys like is the Toro Timemaster 30". About $1,000 and sold at Home Depot. It does have hydrostatic drive. The electric start version is about $100 more. Not as heavy duty as the Billy Goat and other commercial style walk behinds, but fairly inexpensive in comparison. The commercial guys are happy if they can get one or two seasons out of this mower, but it should last for residential use.

Stan Calow
08-24-2014, 5:28 PM
Ken with self-propelled mower, you just let go the clutch bar and the wheels stop driving so you can pull the mower back, reposition and turn square corners. Pushing down on back lifts front end up and you can maneuver as necessary. It will take just a few seconds and you'll get the hang of it.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-24-2014, 5:42 PM

FYI, there is also a ridiculous paint premium for the big green tractors too.

ken masoumi
08-24-2014, 7:58 PM
So far I have narrowed the search down to a self propelled mower with Hydrostatic drive,(also stay away from J Deere),I'm warming up to the idea of spending ~$1000 for these features.if I had to get on one Today my best bet would be the Honda I linked before and Ariens from HD,but I already found out Billy Goat is also available here,I'll check out the price and compare features ,then make my decision.
Thank you all for steering me to the right direction.

Brian Elfert
08-24-2014, 9:05 PM
If $1000 is higher than you want to pay then I don't think the Billy Goat will be in your price range new. I like the Honda lawn mowers for 21". I have the $700 model with plastic deck and blade brake clutch. This is my second as the motor went out on the first one after 10 or 11 years due to me not changing the oil often enough.

William Payer
08-24-2014, 9:38 PM
Ken,

I have two Honda 21 inch mowers, a 1980 5hp commercial unit that I use for cutting approximately a half acre three times a week. It has not required a single repair (other than replacing the spark plug occasionally and I replaced the points(yes, no electronic ignition back then) about 10 years ago only because I feared the parts would not be available in the future)(by the way, the points were fine, no pitting, etc)
The other Honda is a '93 Hydrostatic trans model that we use for cutting the front lawn. No real repairs other than LOML's running it into a fence post and bending one wheel adjuster. The hydrostatic trans is great, allowing you to change speeds simply by pushing forward /back on the lever at the handlebar.
Longevity of the Honda's is a strong suit. Just change oil regularly, plugs and air filters, and you are good to go. THe higher end models ( like the hydrostatic) I believe have a better grade motor (more commercial grade) rather than the lower priced ones that are aimed at a low price point.
I see neighbors purchasing two or three mowers during the time I am using one. If you add up the total cost, a more expensive(initially) Honda can be a less expensive choice in the long run.

ken masoumi
08-24-2014, 10:16 PM
The Honda (http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hyc) I mentioned before has all the bells and whistles and since it is being discontinued,the price is lowered to $869.CDN .If that Billy goat is way above my $1000 budget,I'll seriously consider the Honda over HD Ariens.

Mel Fulks
08-24-2014, 10:45 PM
My honda harmony is about 15 years old. I don't think I have ever bought another product that so excelled in quality over previously tried brands. It will be first mower I have had to put new tires on, they are almost slick.

Jerome Stanek
08-25-2014, 7:31 AM
Not sure how the Lawnboys are now but I had my father in laws old one that he bought in 1952 and it ran so good in 1978 that I bought another and that one is still cutting. Oh yeah we only mow a little over an acre with it.

Brian Elfert
08-25-2014, 8:09 AM
Lawnboys are basically a Toro now with a Lawnboy name on it. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but they aren't the same mower as the original Lawnboys. Lawnboy was only two cycle for many years, but everything is four cycle these days.

ken masoumi
08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
I just came back from the Honda dealership,ended up buying the Honda mower (http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hzc)I had mentioned with a self charging system(12 volt key start ,just like a car),and a Hydrostatic transmission.
The last couple of days learned a lot about mowers by just reading you comments and opinions,and at the end of it all I think I made a wise choice.
Thank you all again.

Brian Elfert
08-25-2014, 1:19 PM
That is the same basic mower I have except I don't have electric start. The house I am buying has a 3 acre lot so I bought a Toro riding mower. Not sure if I will sell the Honda or not. My old house had a 1/3 acre lot with 1/3 of it brush and not mowed.

Harry Hagan
08-25-2014, 5:21 PM
My eighteen-year-old self-propelled Honda Harmony is still running strong after over 500+ hours of mulching duty.

Maintenance: Annual oil change, a couple of spark plugs and air filters, two drive wheels, and one speed shift cable. It’s one of the best investments I’ve ever made but that doesn’t mean Honda is still producing a high-quality machine these days.

My neighbor has had at least four mowers during this time period mowing the same size lawn.

Paul McGaha
08-25-2014, 5:25 PM
I just came back from the Honda dealership,ended up buying the Honda mower (http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hzc)I had mentioned with a self charging system(12 volt key start ,just like a car),and a Hydrostatic transmission.
The last couple of days learned a lot about mowers by just reading you comments and opinions,and at the end of it all I think I made a wise choice.
Thank you all again.

Nice one, Hope it serves you well Ken.

PHM

Brian Elfert
08-25-2014, 7:27 PM
I don't understand why people have no problem buying a junk Murray or whatever lawnmower at Walmart for $200 every few years, but won't spend $400 to $700 for a decent lawnmower that will last at least 10 years. I suppose there are a lot of lower income people where even $200 is a struggle to come up with.

Jerome Stanek
08-25-2014, 7:37 PM
Neighbor had one of those cheap mowers and mower almost an acre for 15 years then he ave it away to the other neighbor who used it for about 10 years till it needed new wheels.

ken masoumi
08-25-2014, 8:25 PM
Paul,Thanks,I'm sure this mower will last a longtime,I already took it for a spin around the yard and was impressed with how quiet the motor is and yet it seems to cut effortlessly. .

I don't understand why people have no problem buying a junk Murray or whatever lawnmower at Walmart for $200 every few years, but won't spend $400 to $700 for a decent lawnmower that will last at least 10 years. I suppose there are a lot of lower income people where even $200 is a struggle to come up with.
+1 ,I still think a good quality but used mower can be had for ~$200 which is a far better option than a NEW $200 junk but people are drawn to new anything and walmart knows that.

Greg R Bradley
08-25-2014, 9:52 PM
I have a Honda HRX self-propelled walk-behind with the hydrostatic transmission. I've had this for 10+ years, and if it ever dies, I'll get another. The hydrostatic transmission, although pricey, helps me maneuver around trees, flower boxes, and up and down the hills on my lot. Highly recommended.
Here is a third for Honda HRX. I've had mine for 12 years and would buy another. The high strength plastic deck has held up very well. In SoCal, you have to mow 12 months a year and this time of year 2x per week. On my street where the minimum front yard depth is 50', virtually everyone that does their own lawn has one except one who just upgraded to a monster commercial unit.

Brian Elfert
08-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Neighbor had one of those cheap mowers and mower almost an acre for 15 years then he ave it away to the other neighbor who used it for about 10 years till it needed new wheels.

The quality of a 25 year old mower probably exceeds that of the $200 Walmart special.

Val Kosmider
08-26-2014, 2:50 PM
I have a Toro "personal pace" mower I got years (10 or more) ago. It was the more expensive of the two personal pace models available at the time. Believe it has a 7.5 HP motor. The dealer really recommended it over the cheaper model. I've been delighted with it. The faster you walk the faster it goes without any extra effort. It has a battery starter. Battery went dead years ago as would be expected. I never replaced it because the thing is still so easy to start. Pump it 2 or 3 times and it starts on the first pull. I drain the fuel out at the end of the season, let it run dry, then disconnect the fuel hose so the carb doesn't gum up. Don't know if the quality is the same as it was or if they have "special models" for the big box stores.

I agree with this assessment. I did just discover that the Tecumseh, which manufactured the engine on my 10 year old Toro, is no longer in business. There is an internet outfit which bought all of the spare parts, so things are still available.

I would NEVER buy another Personal Pace mower as, the way it operates, it puts constant pressure on the bottom of your spine. In essence, you "push" the mower along...every so slightly, but that is what it takes to "actuate" the self propelled mechanism. I find, with a previously fractured spine, that this small amount of constant pressure just kills my lower back.

When I buy my next mower, it will either be a Snapper, or more likely, a Honda. I will be looking for a self propelled mechanism which "pulls" you along when you activate the drive. Honda because they seem to be a good quality, and Snapper, for the same reason--although that may have changed over the years.

Rich Engelhardt
08-26-2014, 3:47 PM
Not sure how the Lawnboys are nowOurs started to leak gas out of the air cleaner at one year and one week.
I emailed Lawnboy and told them the problem and also mentioned to them that because of the cold Spring we had, that delayed me getting the lawn mower out a few weeks earlier.

They emailed me back and said "that's a shame"...

BTW - if you search for lawnboy leaks gas there's all kinds of hits.

Lawnboy is just a name now. It's nothing at all like the one my dad bought in the 1960's and gave to me in the 1970's that I ran for 5 or 6 years after that.

The quality of a 25 year old mower probably exceeds that of the $200 Walmart special.We replaced the broken Lawnboy from above with a $147.00 WalMart special.
It came with a one year warranty and for ten bucks I got the extended two year warranty.
If/when it breaks down in the second year, WalMart will either replace it or give me a full refund.

FWIW - it's been my experience in life that a lawn mower and/or tractor will cost ~ $100.00 a year. If you buy a cheap $100.00 mower it will last a year. If you buy a $1000.00 mower it will last 10 years.
That's how it managed to work out for me over the years.

Mac McQuinn
08-26-2014, 4:26 PM
I have a JD JX75 purchased new in 1998, it's been a great mower, cuts very well, smooth, reasonably quite and a 1st pull starter. Regular maintenance from day 1, If it was stolen tomorrow, I'd hunt down another on the used market.
Mac