PDA

View Full Version : Llws

Kevin Godshall
08-23-2014, 6:32 PM
I've played a lot of ball in my day, and a lot of tournaments too: round robins, double elims, 1 pitch, any pitch, etc etc.

Question: If the LLWS is double elim (2 losses to be eliminated)- How is Nevada eliminated with only 1 loss?

They won every game (3-0), until the US Championship today where they lost to the Chicago team. So now, both teams have 1 loss.

In double elims I've played in, if the team from the loser's bracket (has 1 loss), beats the team in the winner's bracket (0 losses), they have to play again, until 1 team has 2 losses and is eliminated.

This is the first time I've realized that this is the situation in the LLWS. I don't get it.

Joe Tilson
08-23-2014, 7:19 PM
Kevin, I was thinking the same thing. There should be one more game between Chicago and West to settle the match.

Brian Tymchak
08-25-2014, 8:31 AM
The format was modified in 2011 so that it becomes single elimination at the US and International championship games.

Kevin Godshall
08-26-2014, 7:47 AM
Doesn't seem fair to the team that went undefeated throughout the tourney though. IMO, it really takes away from the stigma and ability to go undefeated and reach the final round.

Thanks for the info.

Pat Barry
08-26-2014, 8:45 AM
Its all due to TV scheduling I bet.