PDA

View Full Version : IE problem Can't open links

Bob Rufener
08-23-2014, 2:14 PM
I stopped at my brother's house this morning and they have a problem I don't know how to fix. They have windows 8 or 8.1 (not sure) When they use IE they can't open any links that are on web pages. Links open just fine when they use Chrome but they would like to use IE. Any help for a fix is appreciated.

Robert LaPlaca
08-23-2014, 2:51 PM
Might want to check out this Microsoft technical support article.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175775

Bob Rufener
08-23-2014, 3:01 PM
Thanks,

I'll pass on the information.

Bert Kemp
08-23-2014, 5:10 PM
Thats their first problem they want IE, of all the browsers I've ever used IE is the worst of them. Its slower then molasses flowing up hill bucking a head wind. It has more pop ups then campers world. Get chrome, Firefox ,opera anything but IE
Of the top 10 rated browsers IE is fifth from the top.:)

Chuck Wintle
08-25-2014, 11:20 AM
might want to think about using FF or chrome instead of IE. Much less problems associated with these 2 browsers...IE IMHO, is not as well developed.

paul cottingham
08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
All sarcasm and cleverness aside, there is a simple solution to all IE problems. Use Firefox. Full stop.

Dan Hintz
08-25-2014, 4:24 PM
Tried to use IE for the first time today in many months... it flashed briefly and disappeared. Seems it's such a common occurrence that MS has a tech note about it. Bummer.

Myk Rian
08-25-2014, 5:34 PM
Interesting how MS writes all the website standards it wants to, then builds a browser that doesn't work with those standards.
There's a good reason Android is the top OS for mobile devices.

David Masters
08-25-2014, 6:11 PM
Interesting how MS writes all the website standards it wants to, then builds a browser that doesn't work with those standards.

Actually, W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) sets the standards. Microsoft simply ignores them. There appears to be a backlash to Internet Explorer by web developers these days that explains some of the issues. IE 8 & 9 appear to mostly work, whereas my experience with IE 11 has been dismal. I echo the recommendation that people move to Firefox for anything other than Microsoft specific tasks administration tasks.

Dan Hintz
08-25-2014, 7:24 PM
There's a good reason Android is the top OS for mobile devices.

Actually, W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) sets the standards. Microsoft simply ignores them.

And having an OS that's open-source helps your cause quite a bit...

Michael Dedon
08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Bob, to go back to your original question without the Microsoft bashing. I've been using Win 8.0 with IE 10 since July 2013. It's been mostly okay. I've heard bad things about IE 11 and have avoided it along with the upgrade to Win 8.1. If he's using Win 8.1 and you can get a copy of IE 10 to load you might be okay. Never tried it and can't help you if you try it but....maybe a shot.

Larry Browning
08-26-2014, 1:39 PM
I am all on board with the Firefox or Chrome thing. I use Firefox at home and at work. At work, we have SAP and lots of things that interface with SAP. Most of the web interfaces require IE to even work at all. The good news is that FF has several plugins that will use the IE engine for specific web sites. This allows you to use FF for most sites, and then switch to the IE engine on the sites that require it. IE Tab 2 is one, IE View is another.

Bob, does your brother have a particular reason, he wants to stick with IE? Seems like an odd requirement, unless he has needs to visit IE only sites, like the ones for SAP.