PDA

View Full Version : Organizers

Moses Yoder
08-23-2014, 9:55 AM
I have a wall of organizers about 36" wide and 6 feet tall of course with various boxes piled on top. Last weekend at a garage sale I bought two more small vintage organizers for a buck apiece; they were missing a lot of drawers. I figured I would put all the drawers into one and was still short 4 drawers. I hit ebay and found 2, the guy wants $6 each drawer for his 2 drawers. I thought well fine I will sell the drawers I have for $2 each and make about $20. I decided to look at organizers at Meijer before I did that. HOLY COW! Now that was an eye opener. From hence forth I am on the lookout for garage sale organizers.

Roger Feeley
08-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Hi Moses, Probably the best organizer I've ever had came to me from my brother who worked for a bank. They had digitized their microfilm records and gave away the cabinets. The 7 drawers are about 4" high, 24" deep and almost 24" wide. Since they are build to store microfilm boxes, there are dividers running front to back. They are just about the right width for those cheap blue electrical boxes from Home Depot. On top, I have my Delta lunchbox surface planer mounted securely. I've long since put the thing on casters but it generally stays in about the same spot. It holds all my screws, bolts, electrical parts, nails and misc.

I'm not really in the market for another one but, knowing what I know now, if that one suddenly disappeared, I would definitely go out on Ebay and find a replacement.

Roger

Addenda: I just looked on Ebay and didn't see a single cabinet. There are plenty of microfiche cabinets but no microfilm ones. It could be that all of the conversions were done years ago and the cabinets just aren't around anymore. I guess I had better take really good care of the one I have.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Hi Moses, Probably the best organizer I've ever had came to me from my brother who worked for a bank. They had digitized their microfilm records and gave away the cabinets. The 7 drawers are about 4" high, 24" deep and almost 24" wide. Since they are build to store microfilm boxes, there are dividers running front to back. They are just about the right width for those cheap blue electrical boxes from Home Depot. On top, I have my Delta lunchbox surface planer mounted securely. I've long since put the thing on casters but it generally stays in about the same spot. It holds all my screws, bolts, electrical parts, nails and misc.

I'm not really in the market for another one but, knowing what I know now, if that one suddenly disappeared, I would definitely go out on Ebay and find a replacement.

Roger

Addenda: I just looked on Ebay and didn't see a single cabinet. There are plenty of microfiche cabinets but no microfilm ones. It could be that all of the conversions were done years ago and the cabinets just aren't around anymore. I guess I had better take really good care of the one I have.

I bought several big ones from a guy who deals with military surplus a few years ago. They are still out there but getting rarer.