PDA

View Full Version : Dining table progress pics

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-07-2005, 2:47 PM
Dining table progress pics...

Instead of using the birdseye maple, I managed to find enough decently figured mesquite for my spindles. :) So here's the base all clamped up.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/missdin5.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/missdin6.jpg

Notice the slots in the aprons and end assemblies. After setting a piece of plywood the size of the top on the base, it was obvious to me I needed something there to make the base 'bigger', so I decided to use 'wings' out the sides and ends. I cut opposing slots in the wing thingies to make them 'locking', for lack of a better term. The side wings will span the width of the base...the ones at the end are short and I'll screw them into the side wings. They're really more for 'looks' than support, but I think they'll add a little bit. Cutting the slots in the already assembled ends on the tablesaw was the first time in recent memory I heard 'the little voice'...but it went off without a hitch. The fit if the wings is so close to perfect it scares me. Here's a shot of the end ones in place for the pic.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/missdin7.jpg

Now for the inevitable, "Doh!" :mad: Here are the side wings sitting down over the op of the clamps. You may notice that I cut the profile upside down. :eek: :o This is when I quit for the day, because I was mightily miffed.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/missdin8.jpg

When I started thinking about this table, I was going to cut a slot in the top of the legs and run the long apron through the leg and extend it out, then add the cross wings. Somewhere along the way I decided not to do that and just sit the big top on the small base...and by the time I decided I had to have the wings, that wasn't an option. I'm not sure I'm entirely pleased with this solution, but it's going together well enough that unless I mess up the top, I may almost be happy with the end result. :D

Thanks for looking!

Gil Mitchell
07-07-2005, 2:59 PM
LOOKING GOOD I like the idea of the mesquite. can't wait to see it finished

Bill Arnold
07-07-2005, 3:06 PM
Dining table progress pics... ... Now for the inevitable, "Doh!" :mad: Here are the side wings sitting down over the op of the clamps. You may notice that I cut the profile upside down. :eek: :o This is when I quit for the day, because I was mightily miffed. ...Kirk,
Very nice project so far. No doubt, it will look perfect when you're finished with it.

"The sign of a true craftsman is when he knows how to hide, er..ah, correct his mistakes." We all make 'em. :mad:

Regards,

Norman Hitt
07-07-2005, 3:39 PM
Looking GOOD, KC. I noticed the cut from the wrong side as soon as that pic came up and it had me confused as to why you were going to reverse the curve from the end pieces, UNTIL................I read the rest of your post. :( I can certainly understand your Frustration, as I thought "I" held the Patent on that kind of Goof, (ie; recent drawer lock joints cut on the wrong pieces, after FINALLY getting them set up to fit properly on material thinner than the Mfr said they would work on, and Naturally, it was on the last pieces of Baltic Birch material I had on hand). :mad: :mad: :mad: Like you, I Quit for the day.

Oh well, It's gonna look GREAT when it's finished, and I really like the little "wings".

I think you mentioned this before, but how do you attach your spindles? Do you turn round tenons on the ends and then clamp a flat board across their faces to keep them aligned square while the glue dries? I've used this method and like it, but always looking for a "better/Easier" way if there is one. :D One other question, what type glue are you using now on your Mesquite projects? I still plan on stopping by to see you "IF" I ever get down that way again, but it's been a long time, since I had to retire from "Trucking" and don't pick up Steel at Seguin anymore.

David Wilson
07-07-2005, 3:44 PM
Kirk,
looking good. I would think about cutting off the wings, inverting them, and reattaching them with pocket holes. Since this will hidden by the top noone would ever see the goof.

Dan Gill
07-07-2005, 3:47 PM
That's going to be BEAUTIFUL, Kirk. I'm sure you'll find something else to do with the upside-down pieces. If you don't mind a nosy question, how much did you have to pay for that mesquite?

Jason Tuinstra
07-07-2005, 3:48 PM
KC, we all have our "Doh's" :D Beyond this little set back, it looks great! It's really coming along nicely. Keep chugging, cuz when it's done, it's going to be incredible!

Jim Becker
07-07-2005, 3:57 PM
Your really do wonderful work with that mesquite, KC. Outstanding!

Chris Padilla
07-07-2005, 4:06 PM
KC, it is good for us newbies/hobbyiests to see even the pros flounder around a bit! We really feel a lot better! :D

On the other hand, I'm sure your corrections will be all but unknown/masked...as your stuff always turns out top notch!

God I wish Mesquite wasn't so pricey...it is such beautiful wood. I think it just comes from mother nature figured, wouldn't you agree? I think it would be rare to find a clear, uniform, straight-grained piece of Mesquite!

John Hemenway
07-07-2005, 4:15 PM
Kirk,
looking good. I would think about cutting off the wings, inverting them, and reattaching them with pocket holes. Since this will hidden by the top noone would ever see the goof.

I'm with David on this. There is a way to save them! You might not like the pocket hole idea but you could just have the 'wings' stop at the skirt. No need to have them be solid all the way across the base. A waste of that precious Mesquite. Cut off the oops, use the remaining for new wings. It's not a bug, it's a feature (Microsloth motto :D ).

Donnie Raines
07-07-2005, 4:23 PM
Looking great KC. I have never worked with Mesquite...but I sure do enjoy the color it has.

Don Baer
07-07-2005, 4:23 PM
I agree with the above. PLus it will eep the table from getting too heavy..:D

Michael Pfau
07-07-2005, 6:09 PM
Looking good KC, what kind of finish are you going with on the mesquite? I have turned bowls with mesquite, but have not built furniture with it.

Jim W. White
07-07-2005, 6:41 PM
That mesquite looks AWESOME, as does your design!!

...thanks for posting the oops detail as well, makes me feel better about my mistakes. :o

..Jim in Idaho

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-08-2005, 1:17 AM
Kirk,

That would work, but I'll just make new ones. They're long enough I can get something useful out of what's left of the bad ones...so the only thing hurt is my pride. And I've gotten used to that. :o

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-08-2005, 1:27 AM
I think you mentioned this before, but how do you attach your spindles? Do you turn round tenons on the ends and then clamp a flat board across their faces to keep them aligned square while the glue dries? I've used this method and like it, but always looking for a "better/Easier" way if there is one. :D One other question, what type glue are you using now on your Mesquite projects? I still plan on stopping by to see you "IF" I ever get down that way again, but it's been a long time, since I had to retire from "Trucking" and don't pick up Steel at Seguin anymore.

Square mortises, square tenons cut on tablesaw/bandsaw...no need to worry about keeping them aligned. I use poly glue (Gorilla) on 'closed' mortise and tenon joinery...DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin for panels, tabletops, and through tenons.

There's a whole lot more Seguin than there used to be. Not sure the growth is a good thing. :(

scott spencer
07-08-2005, 7:55 AM
That's gonna be gorgeous when finished Kirk...it's already pretty impressive looking. The leg and frame style remind me alot of a maple and granite conference table I built for my BIL last fall.

Sam Blasco
07-08-2005, 9:11 AM
I've got to start incorporating mesquite into my work now that I'm here in Texas. It really has an emotional subtlety. Looks great, Kirk.