PDA

View Full Version : 20"~25" Planer suggestions needed

Yonak Hawkins
08-21-2014, 7:14 PM
I’m looking to buy a planer to replace my 16” Jet. I was hoping to do a good comparison at the IWF show but, unfortunately, most of the stuff there was big industrial and not for peons like me. ..Or I just couldn’t find the booths because I was only able to cover 1/2 of one of the two halls in the day I had to search.

One thing I did notice at the show and in a brief on-line search, is that the prices for 20”, 5hp planers with insert heads is all over the place ranging from $4000 for the General and the Laguna to $2500 for the Steel City. Even the best out-the-door show price for the General floor model is several hundred dollars more than the retail price for the Steel City.

I’ve searched Craig’s List in my area without luck and I will continue to search, but I would like very much to get opinions for a good quality tool, new or used. My needs are pretty much like everyone else’s .. I plane mostly hardwoods in the 1”~2” range, averaging 250~350bf, or so, a month, but more capacity is always appreciated. I’d love to get an insert head but that’s not necessary if I can find a good deal on a used standard head planer.

I’m willing to travel, pretty much, to any place in the eastern US for an excellent deal, the closer to Georgia, the better. My price range is $2000~$3500, naturally, the lower the better. If anyone knows of any deals on a superior used machine or has any suggestions on what to look for or has a suggestion for a new machine, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, – Yonak

Danny Hamsley
08-21-2014, 9:15 PM
Yonak,

I bought a Grizzly GO544 20" Pro spiral head planer. It has a 5 hp cutterhead motor and a 2 HP feed motor. Beautiful finish. A bit above your price range, though.