PDA

View Full Version : Progress Photo...

Bill Arnold
07-07-2005, 12:00 PM
A few months ago (and a few honey-do's in between) you folks on SMC gave me some good input on design proportions on a table I wanted to build. Well, I finally got started on it and wanted to post a couple of images for your comment.

The first image is the side view of the design. Dimensions are 30" high by 42" diameter.

The second image is the top showing the veneer cut and glued up, edge-banding in place and the veneered panel set into the border. Materials are wenge, tiger maple and bubinga veneers; maple for the edge-banding and claro walnut for the border. The only finish so far is a very light mix of BLO/naphtha.

I'll post additional photos as the project moves along -- which should be a little quicker now that our lovely granddaughter has come and goen after a one-month visit! Bless her heart -- she's a great kid and at age 13, she can keep us hopping!!! :)

Regards,

Roy Wall
07-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Bill,

I think you're gonna like the comments.............:)

Beautiful top - impressive work - great photo..........

Ken Garlock
07-07-2005, 1:00 PM
Absolutely stunning work. :) :eek: I hope you are not going to use that table for anything other than a display of your talent! :cool:

Golly, I am depressed after seeing such fine work. I think I will sell my tools and steal way into the night. :D :eek:

Fred Ray
07-07-2005, 1:19 PM
Beautiful inlay work, Bill. It's gonna be a gorgeous table.:D

Tyler Howell
07-07-2005, 1:29 PM
Up went the bar!

Beautiful.

Jason Tuinstra
07-07-2005, 1:32 PM
Bill, very nice. A great deal of skill went into that and a great deal of attention is going to be lavished on it! Good job!

Bob Noles
07-07-2005, 1:33 PM
Bill.....

Excuse the silence...... I think we are going to be speechless on this one.

Man.... That is breathtaking!

Awesome job!

Don Baer
07-07-2005, 1:35 PM
All I can say is

WOW

Sam Blasco
07-07-2005, 1:50 PM
Excellent execution of a timeless design. Really beautiful, the proportions definitely work.

Jim Becker
07-07-2005, 2:08 PM
Yowsa! Very, very nice!! That's gonna be a realy looker when it's on the base and living in your home.

Gail O'Rourke
07-07-2005, 2:15 PM
Bill,

That is absolutely unbelieveable. The picture is incredible, which means the piece is double incredible....awesome.

Robby Phelps
07-07-2005, 2:38 PM
Great work as always Bill. What adhesive strategy did you use to attach the veneer? Vaccum press, Hammer veneering?

Well done.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-07-2005, 2:53 PM
Yikes! You fancy guys make me feel like a hack. :D That'll be a keeper!

KC

Bill Arnold
07-07-2005, 2:54 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comments so far. I just hope the end result looks as good in person as it does in the photo! :eek:

Robby asked about adhesive. I used Titebond III to attach the veneers to a 3/4" MDF substrate. I glued both the bottom and top veneers at the same time in my vacuum press. I applied ample glue only to the substrate to minimize the problem of the veneer curling from the moisture of the glue.

As to its final resting place when it's finished, I can't say for sure. I'm building it as an exhibition piece for shows in November and February. We don't really have a place for it in our home, so I hope it sells after the February show. :confused:

I should give a special thank you to Jamie Buxton who gave me a bit of insight on the veneering technique for this type of table. Take a look at his execution of a compass table at his website sometime.

I didn't take a photo of the underside of the top, but it's a 4-section starburst of flat-cut cherry veneer. OK, so I'm a bit anal at times! ;) It needed something on it for balance -- this way I'll have something nice to look at when I'm flat on the floor after one too many brewskies!!! :D