PDA

View Full Version : Truck with Cap on back

Donnie Raines
07-07-2005, 11:09 AM
I just bought a 2004 Dakota SLT long bed that came with a Ranch cap on the back. The cap is a high end cap for sure and has been installed properly. However, there is a clear inner tube mushed between the cap and the back window of the cabin(around the rear split window). It looks like a tub one would use in a pool.

Does thing need to be there??..I sent the manufacture an e-mail but have not received a reply. The dealer had never seen it before either...

TIA

Lou Morrissette
07-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Donnie,
I've seen them advertised in mags before. They're supposed to provide an airseal between the cab and cap when the rear window is open.:confused: :confused: They claim it's quieter and warmer with this thing. I'm sure you can run your truck without it. I've had caps on my trucks and didn't feel like I needed one.
Good luck with the new ride.

Lou

Patrick Lane
07-07-2005, 12:14 PM
We used to use something like that on one of my dads old trucks when I was a kid. Me and my brothers would ride in the back all the time (shouldn't do that, I know). It was supposed to allow you to cool/heat the enclosed bed by connecting it to the cab. I don't remember it working all that well, mostly I think it gave you a better chance of pulling carbon monoxide into the cab :) .

Patrick

Jim DeLaney
07-07-2005, 12:18 PM
A friend of mine had something like that on his Toyota truck. After a couple years, the dust and grit that got behind it ground completely through the paint on the back of the cab - right thru the primer and all the way to bare metal!