PDA

View Full Version : hello (and a word of warning) from the UK

Graham Taylor
08-21-2014, 4:26 AM
Hi guys,

We are hopefully, if we get the bigger premises, getting a Speedy 300 November time to expand our existing Art & Craft business by designing and producing our own range of stencils and rubber stamps.

Laser engraving and cutting is totally new to us so I have been scouring the internet and these threads looking for any and all info I can to prepare me for what will probably be a steep but hopefully enjoyable and profitable learning curve.

All I need to do now is get my head around the CorelDraw s/w so that I am ready to go on that :eek:

I guess then that my 1st post is to warn you all that there may, sorry that should say WILL be some stupid questions comming your way soon :D.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Graham

Dan Hintz
08-21-2014, 6:04 AM
I guess then that my 1st post is to warn you all that there may, sorry that should say WILL be some stupid questions comming your way soon :D.

And we'll have plenty of stupid answers for you, Graham :D

Welcome to The Creek.

John Bion
08-21-2014, 6:22 AM
Hi Graham, welcome from a fellow UK’er, there are quite a few of us here. Although some of us are lesser beings ....... we have Chinese lasers ..... the higher forms of life have Trotec :)
Kind regards, John

Graham Taylor
08-21-2014, 7:13 AM
And we'll have plenty of stupid answers for you, Graham :D

Welcome to The Creek.

And that is where you could have your fun as I wouldnt know if it was a stupid answer :D

John, higher forms of life - I think you must be confusing me with someone else :D

Thanks for the welcome

Bert Kemp
08-21-2014, 9:47 AM
Listen to Dan's stupid answers you will learn (grasshopper) for Dan is the Master;), as are many others here.

Jason Hilton
08-21-2014, 10:56 AM
It's still weird to me that Coraldraw is the defacto assumed application for laser engraving. I have been using illustrator to design for my entire career, and having also done some work in coral, I find illustrators tools to be much easier to learn and more powerful for a designer. (live corners ftw!)

At any rate, not trying to start a flame war! Welcome to the creek, I've found tons of knowledge and support here, I'm sure you will too! By the way, there is a TON of knowledge floating around in depths of the forum, I spent a whole day reading back threads and learned a ton!

Graham Taylor
08-21-2014, 11:01 AM
when we had the demo we saw a wooden box with a 'living' hinge I think it is called - very cool and it facinated me for ages (but I am sad anyway).

I have started looking through the old threads as advised and found a few things that are of use to me now.

Martin Boekers
08-21-2014, 1:35 PM
Welcome aboard!

One thing that is usually recommended is start at post #1 and read through them all. We have really addressed many issues through the years.... It may take some time but it's FREE education!

Also YouTube is great many things out the for lasers and Corel.

Consider buying a tutorial DVD on Corel such as:

http://www.unleash.com/coreldraw-x6-unleashed/

Just get it for the version you are using.

Since you new I would set up a special bookmarks folder on you computer for websites, videos, tutorials that you find.
Somethings I may only use once a year and it's nice to have quick access to solutions.

Good Luck!

Robert Tepper
08-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Welcome.

I make 1000's of stencils a month. If you need assistance, let me know.

Robert

Graham Taylor
08-22-2014, 2:00 AM
Welcome.

I make 1000's of stencils a month. If you need assistance, let me know.

Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for that kind offer - I will probablky take you up on that for advice and settings etc.

Ihave also set up and foled for all my laser book marks for suppliers and other info, just need to make the time to read through them and extract all the good bits.

oh welll, back to work for a bit

Steve Morris
08-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi Graham, another UK 300 user here.

Good luck and there aren't any stupid questions just gaps in our knowledge that will be filled so ask away.:D

Where are you?

Graham Taylor
08-24-2014, 3:38 PM
Hi Graham, another UK 300 user here.

Good luck and there aren't any stupid questions just gaps in our knowledge that will be filled so ask away.:D

Where are you?

Hi Steve,

We are in Romford, Essex and my knowledge gap is massive which will take some filling :confused:

Cheers,

Graham

Dee Gallo
08-24-2014, 6:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Graham! We all started in the same place you are now, and eventually get to various levels of competence. But it's all fun and games along the way, so enjoy your new toy!