PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher problem

Prashun Patel
08-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Any help appreciated:

My 2-year old dishwasher leaves a bunch of sudsy water at the end of the cycle. It just started. When I force the cycle to drain, I can hear water going down the drain, but there's some still left after it finishes.

Any ideas?

Kent A Bathurst
08-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Make and model? Just curious.

And - there will generally be a filter down there somewhere - usually has to do with the fact that most recycle water for cycles until last rinse.

Check the filter for stuff clogging it. Check the owner's manual for instructions.

Todd Willhoit
08-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Check the drain line for an obstruction. I found a rubber foot from a cutting board clogging mine at one time.

paul cottingham
08-21-2014, 2:12 AM
plugged drain line for sure.

Prashun Patel
08-21-2014, 8:43 AM
Thanks guys. I have a Thermador DW4X series dishwasher.

I will try removing the drain line tonight.

Joe Tilson
08-21-2014, 9:23 AM
Prashun,
Be sure to read the owners manual to find out how to clean the filters, etc. Our daughters do it very often. They say the little plastic bags the soap comes in will clog them too. My wife and I have two dish washers, a left one and a right one.:D They never clog.

Phil Thien
08-21-2014, 9:45 AM
Check the drain line for an obstruction. I found a rubber foot from a cutting board clogging mine at one time.

Yep! But in my case, we found four of them (one at a time) over a two-three month period. I think they all came off together, but they floated around and got stuck one by one. Maddening.

Mike Ontko
08-21-2014, 1:00 PM
Ditto on double-checking the filters and strainers. We have hard water problems in my area and the resulting calcium deposits can build over time to clog up everything. The city is supposed to be implementing a softening system by next year, otherwise I'd invest in one myself.

After spending nearly 4 hours on one particular day (about a year after we'd moved in) to scrub all of the filter screens and surfaces clean using CLR (a non-hazerdous/safe liquid descaler), I now try to keep up with regular and much lighter cleanings on at least a quarterly basis. Same for all of the sink and shower plumbing fixtures in the house and my coffee maker (using a white vinegar solution).

Todd Willhoit
08-21-2014, 3:04 PM
Yep! But in my case, we found four of them (one at a time) over a two-three month period. I think they all came off together, but they floated around and got stuck one by one. Maddening.

I found mine while installing the NEW dishwasher... :rolleyes:

Larry Frank
08-21-2014, 8:12 PM
I have found some broken glass down in mine.

I had a problem with the dishwasher showing some hard water deposits. I had water samples checked and my softener was not working properly. Now, I do not need to do anything as it stays looking bright. We have real bad well water but a good system for removing the iron, sulfur and hard water. For the coffee pots, we use RO water and never have to clean them.

Karl Andersson
08-22-2014, 9:21 AM
And if it doesn't seem clogged after you've tried looking for obstructions, there may be a spring-loaded oneway valve on the drain line that is supposed to keep the expelled water from backflowing into the dishwasher when the pump stops (all the water between the pump near the floor and the air gap up near counter height is supposed to stay in the vertical hose). Mine has stuck open twice due to a piece of lettuce or cabbage getting through the filters and wedging between the rubber valve and its seat. It doesn't backflow enough water to fill the whole pan of the dishwasher, just about a third of the depth (a few cups of water from the hose). I was able to reach it by taking a screen off and using a test tube brush. And somehow levitating inside the dishwasher, cause it's in the center back part of the bottom on mine. There's a site I think called "applianceparts.com" that you can download many of the parts diagrams for dishwashers, etc; it helps you figure out where the problem might be or what part you need.

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2014, 7:19 PM
While I have seen peas and other stuff caught in the filter, the symptoms described are what happened to me when the nipple into the disposal was partially clogged. Stuff catches on the rim of it since it's inside the hose.

Chris Padilla
08-22-2014, 7:19 PM
Be sure the airline is not blocked as well. Dishwashers need venting just like any drain does.