PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to cable internet - Part II

Kev Williams
08-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Part I was yesterday, cable guy got my new internet up and running. Followed by 4 hours of new router connection, shutting off the wifi and DNS on the old modem/router, but I actually got it to work!

Old speed test:
0.55 mbps down, 0.48 up

New test 3 minutes ago:
28.60 down, 5.96 up-

:) --52x faster down and 12x faster up! I like!

Next up: My Ooma is supposed to show up today. I also bought one of their Lynx wireless extenders. I've decided to spend $10 a month on the "premier" service, which gives me a second line, auto-forwarding if the internet goes down, and caller ID names, among other things. According to some online reviews, the Lynx is supposed to be the equivalent of a POTS line, to which I can plug in a fax machine. Whether it will actually work or not? I'll let you know... ;)

By paying for a year up front, porting my old phone number won't cost anything. Not sure how long that process takes, but the instant it's done and the phones work, my phone company is getting another cancellation call.

My old ISP of 16 years is getting the axe today (or as soon as my wife gets her email accounts changed over).

Curt Harms
08-21-2014, 8:09 AM
I don't know who you're using for your primary email provider but using a non-ISP provider can save some hassle. Gmail & Yahoo are some of the best known but there are others that are just as good and perhaps more respecful of your privacy.

Bert Kemp
08-21-2014, 9:36 AM
Yea yahoo and Gmail follow you were ever you go and no matter what your ISP is, saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

Brian Elfert
08-21-2014, 11:39 AM
What I did for email is register my own domain. My email is hosted through the free version of Google Apps so basically it is Gmail. (Free version of Google Apps is no longer available.) If I decide I don't like Google in the future I can easily move my domain elsewhere so as not to have to change my email address.

Matt Meiser
08-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Definitely stop using the provider's email. I've switched ISPs 6 times in the last 10 years due to new technology and a move. Still have the same email.

Here's the latest:

Kev Williams
08-21-2014, 5:05 PM
I've had my own domain since Y2K, and my old ISP email was administered by Gmail, and I've always been able to get it anywhere, even before Gmail ran it. I only use the ISP mail for those sites who want an email address just to look at something, etc, or if my regular email goes down for some reason. Otherwise, no "real" email ever goes there.

Turns out I jumped the gun a bit-- I was originally told my Ooma would be delivered on the 20th. Tracking says it's still about 600 miles from me... oh well.

Ole Anderson
08-22-2014, 9:59 AM
I use the ISP's email service, but then I have not moved in 39 years and have had Comcast for probably 25 years.

Matt, 117 mbps? Really? You suck man. I thought my new 57/12 was good. Finally got what you wanted, good for you! I just got their new X1 box and I'm not so happy with it, in trying to simplify the remote, they eliminated some nice features of the previous box/remote, like being able to surf your favorites and having a skip forward 30 seconds button.

Brian Elfert
08-22-2014, 11:27 AM
I use the ISP's email service, but then I have not moved in 39 years and have had Comcast for probably 25 years.

Matt, 117 mbps? Really? You suck man. I thought my new 57/12 was good. Finally got what you wanted, good for you! I just got their new X1 box and I'm not so happy with it, in trying to simplify the remote, they eliminated some nice features of the previous box/remote, like being able to surf your favorites and having a skip forward 30 seconds button..

What happens if you are one of Comcast's customers that is being split off into a new cable company? Will those customers eventually lose their Comcast.net address? Roadrunner customers lost their rr.com addresses when Comcast took over Time Warner's area in Minneapolis. This doesn't happen with a non-ISP email address

Comcast has never officially supported the skip forward 30 seconds button on their DVR. You have to do some reprogramming of the remote to get it to work. Not surprised it is gone. The networks hate it because it makes it so easy to skip commercials. Comcast owns NBC Universal now so it is in their own interest to make it hard to skip commercials.

Kev Williams
08-22-2014, 11:33 AM
The 30-second button is the most worn out button on our dish remotes. Not having one would be a deal breaker for us. I already pay over $3 a day for TV, for that I should not be forced to endure commercials.

Matt Meiser
08-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Matt, 117 mbps? Really? You suck man. I thought my new 57/12 was good. Finally got what you wanted, good for you! I just got their new X1 box and I'm not so happy with it, in trying to simplify the remote, they eliminated some nice features of the previous box/remote, like being able to surf your favorites and having a skip forward 30 seconds button.

I had to buy a new router to get it...old one had 100mbps ports and was only performing at 87...can't have that!

I was talking to the tech about X1. Still think we are going to go with a DirecTV Genie with a significantly lower tier package than what we used to have.

Kev Williams
08-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Well, I got my Ooma in Saturday, and just like everyone says, it works great! Haven't had time to try the fax machine yet. I bought a Lynx for the second line for the fax which will have it's own number. According to Ooma's FAQ's they don't promise a fax machine will work, but it should.

I did find out my credit card machine is analog dial only and it won't work, but that's an easy swap for an internet unit.

Now I have to wait 3 weeks or so until my old phone number is ported over. Until that happens, I really don't have a use for it other than the fax machine.

So- I went from $187 phone bill for 2 lines and slow DSL service + $14.95 a month for the ISP,
Now I'll be paying $13.50 a month for "premier" service with 2 lines and $33.00 a month for 58x faster internet (taxes included!) - My calculator says I'm saving $155.45 a month! And as more bonus, I can now watch Netflix, and with the router changeover I can finally access my security cameras online! (couldn't with the DSL modem/router)
:)