PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw use for a newbie

Keith Gatchalian
07-07-2005, 2:45 AM
I need some advice and help. Here's my project:

I play a game called Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. These are tabletop wargames and they have been gaining popularity all over the world. You can take a look at the game at www.Games-Workshop.com (http://www.Games-Workshop.com).

Now....on the tabletop you use terrain that often is based on MDF/hardboard. I want to make terrain, and often the shapes you make the bases on needs to be curved.

I'm assuming a jigsaw would be best for this. The pieces would vary in size. So...

Would a jigsaw be useful? What kind should I get ( this is a rough job so the best for delicate work saw wouldn't be the kind I need)? Whats the best way to use it? Sawhorses and cut the MDF board....use a work table and clamp the piece down?

I tried using a rotary saw and the saw would overheat, and the bit would actually brake off and zing across the room. I'm guessing my inexperience was a factor at this...I always blame myself first and not the tools....

Thanks for any help!

Ian Abraham
07-07-2005, 3:55 AM
Hi Keith

I've cut out a few warhammer props for my sons ;)

Yes, a jigsaw is probably the best tool for that job (unless you have a small bandsaw or scrollsaw available)

Just look for one of the medium quality / price ones, I like the Bosch or Dewalt brands myself.

Also look at the different blades. Coarse ones for fast ripping of material, narrower blades for making intricate curved cuts, finer teeth for a better finish (but slower cutting) and blades for cutting thin metal. Get a pack with a selection to start with and use the right one for the job.

As you noticed circular saws dont like cutting curves :eek: A jigsaw is also a much safer tool.

Yes, use sawhorses to cut the pieces out, and maybe clamp them down for any fine trimming needed

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Be warned you will then need to make ruins and fortifications and whatever else and will probably need more tools :D

Lee DeRaud
07-07-2005, 9:44 AM
Two questions:

How thick MDF are we talking about?
How much abuse does it have to take?

If it's only 1/4" or so (like you're laminating up terrain contours), I'd think about using foamcore board instead. It's pretty tough, but a lot easier to cut (think "utility knife" instead of "saw"), and you can shape the edges with a rasp or Surform tool to get rid of the "rice paddy" look.

Keith Gatchalian
07-07-2005, 2:09 PM
Two questions:

How thick MDF are we talking about?
How much abuse does it have to take?

If it's only 1/4" or so (like you're laminating up terrain contours), I'd think about using foamcore board instead. It's pretty tough, but a lot easier to cut (think "utility knife" instead of "saw"), and you can shape the edges with a rasp or Surform tool to get rid of the "rice paddy" look.

foamboard warps when you texture it. Plus the MDF has weight to it that foamboard doesn't, making the piece easier to move.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Keith Gatchalian
07-07-2005, 2:10 PM
Hi Keith

I've cut out a few warhammer props for my sons ;)

Yes, a jigsaw is probably the best tool for that job (unless you have a small bandsaw or scrollsaw available)

Just look for one of the medium quality / price ones, I like the Bosch or Dewalt brands myself.

Also look at the different blades. Coarse ones for fast ripping of material, narrower blades for making intricate curved cuts, finer teeth for a better finish (but slower cutting) and blades for cutting thin metal. Get a pack with a selection to start with and use the right one for the job.

As you noticed circular saws dont like cutting curves :eek: A jigsaw is also a much safer tool.

Yes, use sawhorses to cut the pieces out, and maybe clamp them down for any fine trimming needed

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Be warned you will then need to make ruins and fortifications and whatever else and will probably need more tools :D

Thanks for the reply!

I've got plenty of experience making the ruins and fortifactions :) I've always loved making toy castles and such...so Warhammer is a dream come true :)

Lee DeRaud
07-07-2005, 3:42 PM
foamboard warps when you texture it.Not sure what you mean by "texture it" in this context, but I'll take your word for it.

Wish I still had pictures of one large-scale application of this stuff. About 15 years ago we had a "cardboard submarine" in one of our buildings: a full-scale mockup of the control room of a Los Angeles class attack sub, all made out of foamcore...measured about 18' wide by 40' long.

Keith Gatchalian
07-07-2005, 3:46 PM
Not sure what you mean by "texture it" in this context, but I'll take your word for it.

Wish I still had pictures of one large-scale application of this stuff. About 15 years ago we had a "cardboard submarine" in one of our buildings: a full-scale mockup of the control room of a Los Angeles class attack sub, all made out of foamcore...measured about 18' wide by 40' long.

You take wood glue and spread it on the base, then sprinkle sand and train ballast. Let dry. Cover in white glue. Let dry. Paint, then drybrush highlights.

Wow that submarine sounds cool. Its amazing what you can do with foamcore and pink styrofoam....