PDA

View Full Version : Triton Router Problem

Mark W Pugh
08-20-2014, 7:38 AM
So, I have the 3 1/4 hp Triton router mounted in my router table. The problem I'm having is the router height adjustment will not stay in position after routing. Meaning, if I have to adjust the height of the bit, the current setting has slipped. So, when I release the lock, the bit falls slightly. There is no way to make small adjustments, after test routing, since the adjustment knob does not maintain current setting.

Has anyone else had this problem, and can it be corrected?

Ken Massingale
08-20-2014, 8:12 AM
I raise the bit higher then I want then back down to the height that I want.

(Be sure to remove the plunge spring for using the router in a table.)

glenn bradley
08-20-2014, 8:15 AM
Triton has made some changes since dad bought his. Does your version have an auto-lock for the carriage? If not are you tightening the carriage lock? Otherwise, I would contact Triton.

joseph f merz
08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
i had a different problem .replaced it with one of thesehttp://www.routertechnologies.com/routerraizer.htm. could be a fix for yours .

ken masoumi
08-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Older Triton routers have plastic worm gear,if you contact Triton they will send you a metal one for free,you only pay the shipping ,I did change mine ,it was an easy procedure .

Mark W Pugh
08-20-2014, 8:24 PM
I raise the bit higher then I want then back down to the height that I want.

(Be sure to remove the plunge spring for using the router in a table.)

Spring is removed

Mark W Pugh
08-20-2014, 8:25 PM
Triton has made some changes since dad bought his. Does your version have an auto-lock for the carriage? If not are you tightening the carriage lock? Otherwise, I would contact Triton.

I've only had this thing for about 6 months. I have no idea what the auto-lock is. There is a manual lock lever on the side that locks the carriage. However, it does not lock the adjustment knob from turning.

joseph f merz
08-20-2014, 9:59 PM
when my plastic thing broke they sent me a "free" new one .it also broke . glad to hear they have a new metal one for a replacement .This makes good sense .

john bateman
08-21-2014, 4:49 PM
I'm not familiar with the Triton, but my Makita did the same thing. After locking the depth stop, there was nothing to keep the threaded adjustment rod from vibrating to a different setting. I wrapped some Teflon plumbers tape around the threaded rod which solved the problem.

Mark W Pugh
09-14-2014, 3:42 PM
Two emails to Triton, no response. I guess a phone call is next.