PDA

View Full Version : best chuck place?

Joe Judge
07-07-2005, 1:04 AM
Any place better than others to pick up a Oneway Talon?

Prices for the basic system seem to vary from place to place (Rockler, LeeValley, Woodcraft, etc.)

I'm assuming I won't find any amazing bargain on the thing ...

--joe

Randy Meijer
07-07-2005, 1:59 AM
You might take a look at eBay or Amazondotcom. There are good deals to be had if you have the patience to find them!! I got a used ONEWAY chuck (not the Talon) for about $60 from a guy who had 2 extras and posted them on the Yahoo pen group board or maybe it was IAP??

Chris Barton
07-07-2005, 8:49 AM
I know this will sound like blasphemy but, I have 2 bowl chucks from Grizzly that cost $40 each and they work perfect! I use them on my minis for bowls and such and also have a big Talon on my PM3520a. The Grizzly chucks work every bit a well as my Tallon, except they cost about 10 times less...

Chris

Joe Judge
07-07-2005, 7:48 PM
I have my eye on some eBay Talon and Stronholds ... from 'goingbunkers' seller. I emailed him about #2 jaws, since I'm watching a body-only Talon.

However ... You're killing me, Chris :-)

I've agonized over this chuck for months. I have the thought of spending $200+ for a chuck. Note, I'm the buy-cheap, fix/rebuild it ($50 12" bandsaw, $35 yardsale Rockwell 46-111 lathe, etc.)

But, I'd heard slight horror stories about the no-name, cheapie chucks.

Can you weigh in with some more info?
(which chuck you have? any downsides to them? etc.)

-- joe

John Shuk
07-07-2005, 8:52 PM
You can buy direct from WWW.ONEWAY.CA as well. Very fine service.

Chris Barton
07-07-2005, 9:17 PM
Joe, I have to tell you I have a Stronghold and love it. No question, it is better than a generic Griz but, that being said, I have turned a lot of bowls on my two Griz's and they have worked fine. Would I want to put a 20lb blank in one? No way! But, for turning small to medium bowls that are simi balanced, I have not had any problems.

Joe Judge
07-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Thats practical info I can use -- thanks folks.

Picts will be posted when I choose :-)
--joe