PDA

View Full Version : Fell off the deep end on this find

Corey Filkins
08-19-2014, 10:18 PM
My wife keeps shaking her head at me on this one.

Won a few items from a local school district.

51 saws in total.

for the backsaws; (3) Disston's, and (6) EC Atkins. The Atkins have 3 with brass screws and 3 with steel. Also a blade for with no handle for both.

For the others, Disston and EX Atkins as well.

Disston's are all D8's and include; (2) 11 ppi 18", (12) 10 ppi 20" and (4) 7 ppi 22"
EC Atkins include; (4) 8 ppi 20" and 7 7 ppi 22"

Got some miscellaneous newer saws and a some damaged older ones as well.

Besides the saws also got some Stanley 151 SW's, A Bedrock 607, some Stanley 8 and 10" braces with bits, and a 14" 1956 Delta Drill press.

My wife keeps telling me she is seeing way to much going into the shop and nothing coming out.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Well that's a gloat and a half!

Are the saws in decent shape? I hear "handsaws" and "school district" and have shudders thinking about how we treated equipment in shop class . . .

Daniel Rode
08-19-2014, 11:28 PM
On the one hand, what a haul of saws. Congratulations!

On the other hand, I'm saddened to think that another school district probably abandoned shop class.

Mike Cherry
08-20-2014, 12:10 AM
that's pretty awesome! How does one "win" these?

Matthew N. Masail
08-20-2014, 5:21 AM
The biggest you suck so far! Assuming the saw are in decent shape? Not knowing what you paid, You could sell half of them and buy your wife something nice

Chris Griggs
08-20-2014, 6:25 AM
WOW!. Lot of nice looking saws there!

george wilson
08-20-2014, 9:44 AM
I taught shop for 2 years in an old school. There were 2 woodworking shops. One for the younger students,and one across the hall for the older ones. Being my first year,I taught the younger ones. The shop for older students had a whole toolroom full of Stanley transitional planes,wooden spokeshaves,old saws,etc. They must have been original to the period they were made,since the school was quite old.

One day,all the old,but hardly used tools,disappeared from that tool room,replaced by new ones. This was in 1963. Back then,I was not even aware that these old tools someday would have value to collectors. They likely were dumped somewhere. Too bad. At the time,though,we lived in a small apartment,and I would have had no place to keep a whole toolroom of tools anyway.And,I'd have had to wait quite a few years for them to become collectible.

You got lucky as your school apparently never bought new tools!!

Adam Cruea
08-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm jealous, man!

How'd you get the lowdown on that type of a haul?

David Weaver
08-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Wow...that's great. Great to see that many original tools in good original shape, too.

Jim Koepke
08-20-2014, 1:01 PM
My wife keeps telling me she is seeing way to much going into the shop and nothing coming out.

To paraphrase Thomas Edison, "it is time to find what your wife needs/wants and build it."

I made a bedside table for my wife. It turned out to be too small for all the things she wanted to keep on it. So another bigger one was built. She won't let me sell the first one.

As Matthew said, sell some off and show your wife the profit. That can help her to let you buy more tools.

jtk

george wilson
08-20-2014, 2:05 PM
My wife is also a craftsman,and she has a grasp(partially!!) on what my machines can(and have) done for her and her business.

Kim Malmberg
08-20-2014, 2:25 PM
Corey,
Unfathomable haul. I cannot even dream of dreaming about such a pile of saws. The Atkins backsaws are far and few between so six in one go is not bad. And never mind the Stanley braces. I see you have at least three very nice looking Millers Falls braces in the lot. They're better than Stanley's.

Corey Filkins
08-20-2014, 2:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Still going through them as some water go on them a couple of weeks ago so I am getting all the surface rust off.

The deal with my wife was I could purchase and keep a few and sell the others to recover the cost where anything over my purchase price I would buy her something nice (regardless I will be doing something nice for her as she puts up with tool addiction. Hello my name is Corey and I now have a saw problem!)

I have a set of floating shelves that I am finishing up for her right now so I can show her work is coming out of the shop.

In regards to the saws, they are in OK shape. 80% are good and about 20% have handle or blade issues. Most of the handles you can tell have had a number of hands on them throughout the years. Based on the etches I could see (around 50% of them were visible) I can date them to pre 1928 when Disston has the number inside of the "D" This changed after 1928.

I missed the big auction for 72 bedrock planes, most of them were 5 1/4's (this ended at $5k) but I did get two 607's that they had, both with 95+% of the japanning and a nice SW blade on one of them. Also got some SW 151's that are pretty clean with 50 to 70% japanning. (I'll post some pictures of these tonight). Also got a clean Delta 14" drill press for a steal, 3 phase motor but I have a nice 3/4 hp single phase I can change out on it.

I stumbled upon this looking at some state auction/bid sites. I am in the HVAC and Building Controls business and I get notifications of request for bids for work and there is also a notification for auctions that gets emailed out. Most of it is not of interest to me, but hit the gold mine on this one.

Eric Schubert
08-20-2014, 6:18 PM
:p............

I can only hope to snag a couple of those from you in the classifieds. As a newbie woodworker, I'm currently on the hunt for hand saws.

In any case, very nice haul! Congrats on an excellent find.

Frederick Skelly
08-20-2014, 7:05 PM
Good for you Corey! Thats a sweet find.

Its a bummer to see one more school district selling off its woodworking shop. But Ill save that rant for a different thread. :)

Fred

Kent A Bathurst
08-20-2014, 7:09 PM
My wife keeps shaking her head at me on this one.

I am tentatively leaning toward her view...................

:p :p :p

Corey Filkins
08-20-2014, 9:22 PM
I asked about the woodshops closing and the school admin person said that they can not find teachers for shop class anymore. She said that a person could go make more money being a carpenter then being a teacher. Sad thing but very true.

My wife is a teacher in another district in town here and we know first hand what she was talking about!

I will say in some of the schools I have been in for work there are still a bunch of the rural districts that have wood shops. The kind that most would drool over.

Shame that kids these days do not have these programs on how to do thing themselves (DIY) versus do it for me (DIFM).

Judson Green
08-20-2014, 9:23 PM
Corey-

What school was this from?

Curious cuz I'm in the Milwaukee area.

Good score.

Corey Filkins
08-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Here are some of the EC Atkins saws a little closer up.

No 53 is on the etch.

Corey Filkins
08-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Here are some of the disstons.

Busy getting any surface rust off the saws tonight. Everything needs sharpening, some have had a decent amount of sharpening during their life, but they all still have a lot of life left in them.

Mike Allen1010
08-21-2014, 8:38 PM
Oh Yeah, this warrants the biggest "you suck" ever!!

Seriously, congrats you've got some real beauties, the equal of which simply aren't made anymore. I hope you enjoy them!

Cheers, Mike

Corey Filkins
08-26-2014, 4:51 PM
Corey-

What school was this from?

Curious cuz I'm in the Milwaukee area.

Good score.

Milwaukee Public Schools. They were cleaning out the trade schools and rooms to get ready for School to open on 9/2