PDA

View Full Version : Possible to "flatten" melamine?

Jay Yoder
08-19-2014, 10:15 PM
In an attempt to save money and use materials on hand for the bottom base of my router table fence I ripped a 6.5" x 48" piece of 3/4" BORG melamine and it was bowed along the length. I have been trying to flatten it and was curious if it is even possible? I have placed the piece supported about 7" from each end with about 40# in the middle in an attempt to flatten it. I have had it on there for 2 days and it is just now a bit past flat the other way so to speak? Is this the best I am gonna achieve? Is it even possible to do? Anyone tried to make melamine that has warped flat again?

Bill Orbine
08-19-2014, 11:57 PM
"warped flat"...... well that's an oxymoron!!:rolleyes: Don't count on it.... you can try making it flat but then to help it stay that way, you'll need to brace it some how. Even if it's already flat from the yard. Also, avoid the BORG if you can and go to lumberyard or local cabinet shop. The BORG is notoriously poor in many material quality and storage solutions.

Art Mann
08-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Melamine would probably be okay for a router table fence. I built mine out of MDF with plastic laminate on both sides. You can't count on the strength of the particle board, or any other sheet material, to hold it flat and square. You need to construct an "L" shaped frame with right angle supports behind it to hold it square and flat. Here is a graphic of a Sketchup file I found that shows roughly how I did it.