PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane vs MagnaLac vs MagnaMax or other precat lacquers

Mike Dowell
08-19-2014, 7:48 PM
Just curious what you all use for *heavy use* table tops such as kitchen tables which get used daily by crazy children, etc..

I've been doing such table tops using brush on Poly from a box store as opposed to my go-to finishing system which consists of sanding sealer and NC lacquer. I've heard good things about Magnalac and MagnaMax before though. I wonder if anyone here is using these or similar products on high traffic areas?

Thanks!

Casey kerner
08-23-2014, 9:46 AM
I used klearvar and could not complain about anything. Sprays great with my 3 stage fuji, no thinning required. Table has been in use for 6 months with no problems to speak of.

I have also tried magna max and liked it, just not on walnut. Personal opinion on tint I guess. Hope this helps!

Max Neu
08-26-2014, 5:25 AM
I have used Conversion varnishes for several years,but I have switched to 2K poly for everything.Not only is the poly more durable,but it doesn't leave that nasty off gassing that seems to never go away with CV's.

Todd Burch
08-26-2014, 8:40 AM
I use both Magnamax and Magnalac. The only differences I can tell are the shelf life. Magnamax is 3 months. After that, throw it away. They say Magnalac is 1 year, but after about 9 months, it doesn't spray near as well.

I spray tabletops. I've had most experience with Magnalac, and it holds up just fine.

Note that my outlook on wood items is pretty relaxed. I mean, I'm not making pieces of art, I'm making functional items meant to be used. With use, will come wear. Eventually, someone will ding it. Spills will happen, and the tabletop will move into "gaining character" mode and never quit.