PDA

View Full Version : Help with 3 phase radial arm saw not running

Jeremy Avis
08-19-2014, 5:14 AM
A big hello from little ol New Zealand.
Hoping to seek some advice.

I have a 3 phase radial arm saw.
When I push the reset button and switch the power on the engine makes noise like it's getting power, but won't run, then the power cuts completely and the cycle repeats.

It this a problem in the electrical rest switch? Solenoid?
I'm not too savvy on electrical tech stuff, but hoping it might be something I could sort myself.

Cheers for any advice.

Jeremy

Charles Lent
08-19-2014, 7:03 AM
3 phase equipment requires all three phases to have power...at the motor to run. If any phase is missing, the motor will usually just hum when the power is supplied, or it may turn very slowly. It will also draw much more amperage ant will trip the heater element in the motor starter. Most likely, you are missing one phase. Check with a voltmeter between phase 1 & 2, 2 & 3, and 3 & 1, first at the outlet that feeds the saw, and then right at the saw motor, but doing this at the motor will be difficult because power will only be there for a short time before the overload trips and shuts off the power. Notice that I did not tell you to take any of these measurements between one phase and ground or neutral. You must measure between two phases and all of the measurements should be the same approximate voltage plus or minus about 20 volts. If any phase is out you should have significantly less or no reading when testing to that phase. If you have good readings on all three phases at the wall outlet, then your problem in somewhere in the saw or it's power cord Continue these tests at every junction point all the way to the motor to find out where the readings are significantly different. Your problem will lie between this point and the last place that you took the readings. Mabe the motor starter contacts? Maybe the electrical connections or a broken wire? You will need to find this out. Radial saws frequently get broken wires in the coil cord that connects between the saw frame and the motor carriage.

Charley