PDA

View Full Version : Hacker in da HOUSE!!!!!!!First Post

David Pettibone
07-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Hello

I learned of this site from Jim Becker and Andy London. Two very nice guys who have generously offered their free advice without hesitation. I signed up near the end of April and would not post until I had a picture or two (I hope they appear). Jim and Andy answered many questions on my Dust Gorilla and I sent them some install photos. They were the first pictures I ever sent due to the fact that I stink with computers, but I am learning. Between my wife and nephew, I think I got the picture thing down, maybe.

I do laminate countertops in Michigan and have been making them by myself for 7 years (fabricate and install). Before that, I worked with other companies to learn the ropes. I have made a vanity for the house and some cabinets for my parents up north, and that's about it. I don't have the skill level of some of the woodworking studs I've seen on this site, but I'm trying to improve. You guy should be comended for so kindly sharing your skills and techniques with others.

A few observations if I may.............Chris Padilla and Marc Singer are tooo funny!!!!!!............Jason Tuinstra, you work way too fast dude, your beating all my goals exponentially, slow down, I beg you!!!!!!..........John Miliunas(sp. ?), what a nice guy...........Tyler Howell, is there a more happier looking guy on this planet, your going to outlive everybody!!!......Jim Becker and Andy London are sooooooooooo giving (as are many others) I feel guilty beyond belief!!!..........whoever the staff is who runs this site, you are doing an outstanding job, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Well, I will input where and when I can. Also, thanks to all you crazy guys with 100's to 1,000's of posts, I don't know how you do it. I will post some shop photos when I get things finished. Thanks again and I hope the pictures come out. If they don't, please feel free to give me any and all advice.

David Pettibone

p.s. Sorry, just tried to attach pictures and it would not let me (this page cannot be displayed for what reason I don't know). I will try tomorrow or Friday, when my nephew gets home. Sorry.:(

Roy Wall
07-06-2005, 11:44 PM
David,

Welcome to SMC--a truly great knowledge base for wwing........and friendly too!!!

Max limit for photos is 105k.......so trim em down a little...If you use Photoshop, max is about a 5x7 @ 100dpi, then save a level 7 jpeg....

Mike Cutler
07-07-2005, 5:21 AM
Wecome to Sawmill Creek David. Pleased to meet ya'

Bill Arnold
07-07-2005, 6:20 AM
David,

When you click the 'Manage Attachments' button below the edit window, another pop-up window should appear in which you upload images. If it isn't coming up, you probably have a pop-up blocker stopping it. You can set your pop-up blocker to allow pop-ups from this or any site.

Regards,

larry merlau
07-07-2005, 7:55 AM
as for your observations of the king pins on here you are exactly right and thereare others out there that are just a bit more shrued :D once you been here awhile they will surface and you can see them more clearly.. and whats even better is when you can meet them in person, as for the kudos goes john and jim head may swell some butthey dont wear hats so it will be ok. as for mr london the verdict is still out.. welcome and lookin forward to yur input and pics

Tyler Howell
07-07-2005, 8:15 AM
Welcome David!

Glad to have you wading in the creek. Looks can be deceiving. Everybody knows what a grouch I am and a stickler for pictures so shape up!:mad: :D

Seriously, I echo your comments about our esteemed colleagues. You'll find the more you hang out here what a great bunch this is.:cool:

Wes Newman
07-07-2005, 8:37 AM
David, Welcome aboard!! Hope to see some pics soon.;)

John Miliunas
07-07-2005, 8:39 AM
Welcome David!

Glad to have you wading in the creek. Looks can be deceiving. Everybody knows what a grouch I am and a stickler for pictures so shape up!:mad: :D

Seriously, I echo your comments about our esteemed colleagues. You'll find the more you hang out here what a great bunch this is.:cool:

First and foremost, a BIG WELCOME to the Creek, David!:) Secondly, I'm glad Tyler said it, 'cuz otherwise I woulda' had to tell you what an obstinant grouch he really is!:D (JK you know!!!:D ) Seriously, Tyler has been one of our mainstays at SMC and we miss his whit and wisdom when he's on the road to one of his airports.

Regardless, you've hit upon one of the best and friendliest forums on the Net, but you WILL need to get up to speed on the pics or you'll see Tyler get real "ugly"!:) Do a search in the "Support" forum. There are several walk-thru's for posting pics there.

Again, welcome! Come often, stay long and we look forward to your company!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
07-07-2005, 8:50 AM
as for the kudos goes john and jim head may swell some butthey dont wear hats so it will be ok. as for mr london the verdict is still out..

Mr. London finally removed his hat in his most recent avitar... :D ...and I've been wearing my SMC hat to the playground this week. Nobody noticed, however... ;)

------

Dave, 'bout time you posted! Welcome aboard...a nice place to hang out.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-07-2005, 8:54 AM
Welcome David! No need to tell you how cool the site is, you've already seen it. Glad to have you aboard!

Aaron Koehl
07-07-2005, 9:37 AM
Welcome, David-

Effie Lever
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Welcome David, looking forwarded to see the pictures<O:p</O:p

Effie.

Jason Tuinstra
07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
David,

Welcome from a former Michigander. I still wear the maze and blue with pride :D Don't worry though, I'm so far from MI, I'll even cheer for State if I see them :p

Great to have you here. You seem as good natured as all the guys you mentioned in your post. This is a great place with a lot of warm and friendly guys. You'll fit right in - ah, that is once you get the picture thing figured out :)

Now about this "speed" thing you think I have going. The table was basically 8 pieces of wood with two wide top halves. Mutilpy that by the amount of coffee I drink in a day, and what's to slow you down ;)

Frank Pellow
07-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek David! It looks like you know a lot about us already. I hope that you solve the perplexing picture posting puzzle soon.

Andy London
07-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Mr. London finally removed his hat in his most recent avitar... :D ...and I've been wearing my SMC hat to the playground this week. Nobody noticed, however... ;)

------

Dave, 'bout time you posted! Welcome aboard...a nice place to hang out.

Welcome Dave!!! We look forward to your project insight! Having a person on board who works daily in the cabinetry area will be great!

As for the hat Mr. Becker, I am hoping some of the vitamin’s from the sun, reflecting of the patches where hair seems to be having trouble growing will act as some sort of fertilizer.:D :rolleyes:

Andy

David Pettibone
07-07-2005, 1:47 PM
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome guys. Including Roy, Mike, Bill, Larry, Tyler, Wes, John, Jim, Kelly, Aaron, Effie, Jason, Frank and Andy.

Jason, I still say you work too fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the photo tips. I will make an attempt this weekend for sure. What a great bunch of guys! I don't do many cabinets Andy, mainly countertops (A LOT OF THEM), but I've made a few. Any countertops questions, send them my way I'll tell ya what I know or find the answer for ya if I don't have it myself. Good Day to all and I'm back to the shop for now.

Gratefully, David

Chris Padilla
07-07-2005, 4:17 PM
David,

I noticed you picked two guys living in California as the funny ones...interesting, very interesting.... ;)

Welcome and get that little picture issue taken care of...or we'll become just a quickly grumpy with you! ;) Any number of us ought to be able to walk you through it....

:D

Vaughn McMillan
07-07-2005, 9:09 PM
I noticed you picked two guys living in California as the funny ones...interesting, very interesting....

I think it's in the water, Chris. ;)

- Vaughn

P.S. Welcome to the Creek, David. We'll probably be nice until the weekend, but if we don't see some pics by about next Monday, Katie bar the door, 'cause some of these guys will get real ugly. (OK, I'm ugly already, but that's a different kind of ugly, and it doesn't count.)

Joe Mioux
07-07-2005, 9:28 PM
Hello

A few observations if I may.............Chris Padilla and Marc Singer are tooo funny!!!!!!............Jason Tuinstra, you work way too fast dude, your beating all my goals exponentially, slow down, I beg you!!!!!!..........John Miliunas(sp. ?), what a nice guy...........Tyler Howell, is there a more happier looking guy on this planet, your going to outlive everybody!!!......Jim Becker and Andy London are sooooooooooo giving (as are many others) I feel guilty beyond belief!!!..........whoever the staff is who runs this site, you are doing an outstanding job, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

David Pettibone

You pegged those guys pretty well!!! Welcome, David, to SMC.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2005, 1:49 AM
Welcome to the Creek David!

Bill Lewis
07-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the creek, but with that title "Hacker in da House" I thought for sure you meant this site (http://www.hackerhouse.com) (which belongs to a very good friend of mine).