PDA

View Full Version : Black locust workbench

Juan Hovey
08-18-2014, 6:02 PM
This bench will either last a long, long time or become firewood soon. The wood is black locust, and as Noel Coward put it (or was it Cole Porter?) the stuff was moister than an oyster - 20 percent, according to my more or less reliable meter - when I started work on it two weeks ago.

What were the risks? Let me count them: warping, checking, splitting, and who knows what else.

Still, the grain on the slabs was straight, so the risk of warping seemed low. Even so, I joined the three boards comprising the top with plenty of glue and 3/4x1 inch splines from the waste. I also cinched the middle board to those on each side with half-inch galvanized lag screws 10 inches long, three on each side, counterbored so that the thread reached as far as possible into the middle board.

I plugged the counterbores with 1 1/4 inch dowels turned from waste, then sealed the end grain of each plug with beeswax mixed with mineral oil. I did the same to the end grain on the top and to the bottoms of each leg of the base.

I took special care in making tenons and mortises for the base rails, making sure to get no-slop fits.

The legs are through-tenoned into the top, and I can tell you that my heart took flight when the top, with only a little help from me and a friend who came by to help, swallowed those tenons with a wondrous "thock."

The cabinets rest not on the bottom rails themselves but rather on crossed slats glued into grooves on the inside top edge of the rails, in hopes that this detail, like the wedged through tenons attaching the top to the base, will limit the risk of warping. I have no idea what the wood is on the cabinet faces.

Warping and splitting are the things I worry about most, and I'm hoping that all of this engineering will work against these risks. Will it? Who knows? If the beeswax and mineral oil seal the end grain, the wood will dry slowly and, I hope, at the same rate throughout the bench. If that happens, the whole thing will cinch up tight as a drum and hard as a rock, and my grandson, now all of eight months old, will inherit this bench from his father and use it long into this century.

If I'm wrong, I'll know soon enough.295087

Jim Matthews
08-18-2014, 6:12 PM
Wow.

Black locust?
That's an epic undertaking.

I wager this thing will outlast all of us.

Kudos

Nicolas Silva
08-18-2014, 6:13 PM
just saw this in passing.. BEAUTIFUL!!

Joe A Faulkner
08-18-2014, 6:16 PM
Great looking bench. I'm jealous that you knocked this out in two weeks elapsed time. My build was more like 4 months, and I haven't even started on the cabinet that is on the drawing board to go under the bench. I'm not sure I would have risked doing all of this work with wood showing a 20% moisture reading. I hope it cures out in an acceptable fashion for you. What are your plans for work holding? I don't see any dog holes or vises.

Phil Thien
08-18-2014, 6:22 PM
Doesn't look wet to me.

I comment you for throwing caution to the wind and giving it a shot. I hope it will be fine, but look forward to future reports.

Juan Hovey
08-18-2014, 6:32 PM
Joe - No dog holes, as my son in law needs a bench for his new house but doesn't do woodworking. I've bought him two Wilton vises - a woodworker's vise and a mechanic's bench vise - and will attach them once we get the bench into his new house and he decides where he wants either or both.

Andrew Hughes
08-18-2014, 6:41 PM
It is one handsome looking bench.looks like its set for a left hander. Nice work

Juan Hovey
08-18-2014, 6:43 PM
One other thing. Those round black things under the legs are hockey pucks with half-inch bolts threaded through them into 2-inch hexagonal steel connectors buried in the legs - a clever idea for leveling a bench on uneven surfaces that I picked up somewhere, sometime long ago.

Phil Stone
08-18-2014, 6:47 PM
That is incredibly pleasing to the eye.

Pat Zabrocki
08-18-2014, 6:59 PM
That is Gorgeous!!!!!!
pat

David Weaver
08-18-2014, 8:52 PM
Very nice, Juan. I love the choice of black walnut.

I'll bet it'll be practically musical once it's dry...if it isn't already.

Vince Shriver
08-18-2014, 10:12 PM
practically musical?

Todd Burch
08-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Nice looking bench! Did you carve the date and your name into it?

David Weaver
08-19-2014, 7:42 AM
practically musical?

Yeah, it'll sound like a drum or a marimba when something hits it.

Jim Matthews
08-19-2014, 7:44 AM
Those round black things under the legs are hockey pucks...

Hockey pucks in Southern California?
You guys play ice hockey out there?

Really?

When did that happen?
You mean it wasn't all an awful nightmare?

Adam Cruea
08-19-2014, 8:32 AM
Wow! Very, very nice!

How was it to work? I've read that black locust is up there with hickory and friends in hardness.

David Weaver
08-19-2014, 8:49 AM
It's completely undesirable to work when it's fully dried. Splits well, though.

Juan Hovey
08-19-2014, 9:15 AM
Wow! Very, very nice!

How was it to work? I've read that black locust is up there with hickory and friends in hardness.

Adam - It was amazingly easy to work with that much moisture in it. In fact, after putting the top together, I discovered that the middle and one outer board were slightly more than 1/4 inch thicker than the third board. What to do? Well, not to toot my own horn, but I make the Juan Vergara infill planes, so I took my favorite jack plane - more or less the size of a Stanley 5.25, with an infill of ebonized English walnut - and went at it huffing and puffing for about four hours. I had set the plane to take heavy shavings, and they came spitting up out of the mouth of the plane very nicely. I finished off with a smoother, went over some rough spots with a scraper, and voila.

Black locust gets very hard as it dries, and it resists rot. If the engineering I did with this bench succeeds in countering the natural stresses that come along when the wood dries, and if the beeswax and mineral oil that I worked into the end grain does its job, the wood throughout the bench will dry slowly and at the same rate. We'll see.

Juan Hovey
08-19-2014, 9:21 AM
Yup, we play hockey out here. Field hockey, ice hockey, beach hockey, desert hockey, palm tree hockey, Hollywood hockey, farm hockey, tech hockey, smog hockey, traffic hockey - you name it, if you can do it with a puck, we do it.

Prashun Patel
08-19-2014, 9:47 AM
You'd probably only generate enough force to rack your bench if all the boards were aligned with their flat sawn faces up or down. If they alternating or edge-grain up, then you might get lucky.

I'd like to see an update on this thread in 2 years.

You should check your bench for flatness every couple weeks, and reflatten over time; it'll be easier to do than all at once, when dry.

Juan Hovey
08-19-2014, 10:49 AM
You'd probably only generate enough force to rack your bench if all the boards were aligned with their flat sawn faces up or down. If they alternating or edge-grain up, then you might get lucky.

Prashun - Here's what the end grain looks like:295142

Judson Green
08-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Nicely done, Juan! I'd almost be afraid to use it.

Dan Hahr
08-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Like the book matching!

glenn bradley
08-20-2014, 8:29 AM
It is beautiful and I will hope none of the problems you anticipate ever come to pass ;-)

Juan Hovey
08-20-2014, 8:39 AM
Steve - I had hoped it would come across otherwise, but you're right. See the new version.

Prashun Patel
08-20-2014, 8:46 AM
That's about the best orientation one could hope for, structurally, and aesthetically.