View Full Version : Slotted Pen Holder?

Alice Labaton
08-18-2014, 5:38 PM
Hey guys,
I'm looking for ideas or places where i can purchase an inexpensive holder for pens of all different sizes to easily engrave multiples without having them roll.
Also would be good so i can make a template in Corel for engraving purposes.
Any ideas?

Ernest Martin
08-18-2014, 6:03 PM
Hi I usually just make a jig with a cutout on my laser like pictured every time I engrave pens.

Mike Null
08-18-2014, 6:43 PM
I use a router made wood block with a V-groove. Fits all sizes as well as some flashlights.

Bert Kemp
08-18-2014, 8:19 PM
I've glued together several 1/4 doles ,holds pens nicely.

David Somers
08-18-2014, 8:37 PM
Bert,

Are the horizontal? Or vertical?

If you live in AZ and not the UK can you be on the dole? Even if it is only 1/4 dole? <grin>

Dave

Bert Kemp
08-19-2014, 8:14 AM
Bert,

Are the horizontal? Or vertical?

If you live in AZ and not the UK can you be on the dole? Even if it is only 1/4 dole? <grin>

Dave
Dave I think their going northeast by south

Gary Hair
08-19-2014, 9:48 AM
Go to your local craft store and buy some 1/4" foam core. I use it often, it cuts easily and is pretty inexpensive. As an alternative you should try Lego's! They are not as cheap as foam core but you can use them over and over again. I bought a small set and several building mats and can make quick fixtures to hold just about anything - pens included.

Kev Williams
08-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I make jigs almost daily from priority mail box cardboard. (used of course ;) ) It's thin and plenty rigid. For something like pens, you may want to use thicker cardboard. For a pattern, just start in Corel by drawing the basic shape and size, start cutting and adjust the pattern until the part fits to suit you. Save the pattern, start with a fresh cardboard then cut as many patterns as you can make fit. The beauty of this is, afterwards there's little if any alignment setup needed, just lay out your text or graphics within the first pattern box, then copy/paste them as you did the patterns. Everything will come out perfect.

Example: I make custom wheel center cap covers out of aluminum that I cut with an endmill on my rotary machines. Many of these I laser etch a circlular border near the edge, and the border must align perfectly or they look terrible. It's rare if ever that 2 machines are in sync size-wise, so, I can etch and measure a test piece (which sometimes wastes a piece) and tweak the position from there, but it's much faster to cut a circle in cardboard until the cap fits almost snug in the hole. From there, anything I etch on the cap will be perfectly centered.

Tony Lenkic
08-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Laserbits sell ready made fixtures for 10 pens setup. They also have download setup for Corel to match the fixture.
Check out their web site for idea on how to make one.

Alice Labaton
08-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Thats awesome!!! thanks so much!!

Alice Labaton
08-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Hey Mike,

Do you make them or purchase from somewhere? Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Alice Labaton
08-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Love the creativity, I'm definitely going to look into the legos, thanks!!

Mike Null
08-19-2014, 4:40 PM
I made mine from scrap wood.