PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Cherry laminate Pen

John Hart
07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Trying to get a handle on laminations with some scrap walnut and cherry laying around the shop. This is my third try...They seem to be coming along. I wasn't even going to turn anything tonight, but a phone call with Ernie Nyvall got me itching. Thanks Ernie!

The Centerband is Bahama Cherry and the finish is CA and Carnuba. Sorry the picture is so yukky.

Ed Davidson
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
John, that's very cool...I like the lamination, the center band, the custom clip-end...everything about it. Well done!

John M. Cioffi
07-07-2005, 7:05 AM
John,

Very nice pen. Any tricks on the laminating?
John

John Hart
07-07-2005, 7:19 AM
John,

Very nice pen. Any tricks on the laminating?
John

Hi John,
No...no real tricks. I just set the bandsaw for an 1/8" rip and cut a bunch of strips, then alternated the wood types and glued them with poly glue. I ended up with a 14" 2X2 so I cut that in half and made four of these blanks with half of the 2X2, then I sliced the other half into a pile of 1/8" wafers and glued all those back together, alternating 90 degrees for a checkerboard effect. I got 4 checkerboard blanks out of that. I lost a lot of symetry on the checkerboard idea though. I need to pay closer attention to my alignment.

BTW...I haven't forgotten about you. Your pile of blanks just hasn't made it to the box. I'm glad you posted....It's just the cattle prod that I needed.

Thanks

Kurt Aebi
07-07-2005, 7:29 AM
John,

Nothing wrong with the picture - the pen is fantastic!

You really seem to be getting the hang of it - Addictive, ain't it :eek:

Cool design - keep experimenting (I liked the checkerboard idea - keep trying different things - it's fun!)

Chris Barton
07-07-2005, 8:46 AM
Oooh! That is so slick! I really like the ring and will have to figure out how to incorporate that into my future projects. Great work John!

Chris

Adam Howard
07-07-2005, 8:48 AM
John,

That looks great! I especially like the center band. good job.