PDA

View Full Version : He almost got me.

Rick Potter
08-18-2014, 3:48 AM
Just got back from a few days in Phoenix, taking the grandkids stuff to college in my truck.

While there, we loaded up some stuff to take to Goodwill the next morning, including a box spring and mattress. My son in law and I tied it down really good, as we were using the truck to take people out to dinner that evening. It was dark when we left for dinner, and we stopped at a light before getting on I-17. Several cars in front of us was a pickup loaded with furniture, including a box spring and double mattress that were stacked on end. I asked the SIL if he saw any rope holding them, and he agreed he couldn't see any either.

Light changed, we all hit the freeway, and the other truck took off for the fast lane, while we went for the slow one. We were watching for a mattress, because we couldn't believe the idiot could possibly keep them in the truck. We didn't get a quarter mile, before we saw people braking and trying to avoid the mattress in the fast lane. Less than another quarter mile ahead, we spotted the other one, also in the fast lane (70 MPH).

We just came abreast of it, in the slow lane, when a car spotted it too late and swerved to miss it. He did, but lost control of the car which spun a 360 across four lanes and went right in front of us. I was braking to avoid hitting him, while not getting hit from behind. Since his forward momentum was still about the same as mine at the crucial moment I could see that we would not slam into him, but I thought for sure we were going to push him into a rollover.

His tail light went out of sight in front of my hood as he spun by, and I thought for sure I was going to give him an unintended PITT maneuver, but he slid by onto the side of the road. He was doubly fortunate that he went off the road in the only nearby spot where there was no K rail.

I have no idea if any other accidents happened because of the mattress idiot. I hope not.

Rick Potter

PS: Driving home today, in a 15 mile stretch of I 10 near Quartzite, the weather went from 109 degrees with a few clouds to 83 degrees and thunder/lightning/rainstorm under the one big cloud that was dumping, then back to 113 degrees. That one stretch of highway seems to get a lot of weather.

PPS: Oh yeah, tool gloat. I brought back a 1965 JC Penny/Rockwell 10" turret RAS that I bought sight unseen six months ago for $50. It's a one owner, low mileage crème puff. I will try to get pics.

Dan Hintz
08-18-2014, 7:39 AM
Whenever I see stuff like that, I jot down (or at least make a mental note of) the license... if a major accident happens, guys like that tend to rabbit and leave everyone else to clean up their mess. If they do, I call the police.

Mike Ontko
08-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Glad to read that you came away intact and unharmed...and with a new RAS :)

Brian Elfert
08-18-2014, 10:21 AM
I saw a guy with a Dodge Dakota lose a whole load of plywood once that wasn't secured. (Tailgate was down.) It was on a local side street so no idea what happened. He must have accelerated pretty hard for the whole load to slide out the back.

I always secure things with proper straps. My dad likes to use bungee cords to secure ladders to the roof and I tell him no. The bungee cords will stretch and come loose, or the ladder will slide out. He has a set of proper straps so I don't know why he doesn't use them.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-18-2014, 10:23 AM
You were definitely very fortunate. Too bad you didn't catch their plate number. Hopefully someone else did or caught it on film.

I'm not sure if it made it to all the States, but around 10 years ago there was a movement for "Maria's Law" that started in WA State due to a woman being blinded (among other things) when the driver in front of her had not properly secured his load and I think his furniture went thru her windshield on the freeway. There was some sort of Dateline or other news TV show that featured her story.

Bert Kemp
08-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Just got back from a few days in Phoenix, taking the grandkids stuff to college in my truck.

While there, we loaded up some stuff to take to Goodwill the next morning, including a box spring and mattress. My son in law and I tied it down really good, as we were using the truck to take people out to dinner that evening. It was dark when we left for dinner, and we stopped at a light before getting on I-17. Several cars in front of us was a pickup loaded with furniture, including a box spring and double mattress that were stacked on end. I asked the SIL if he saw any rope holding them, and he agreed he couldn't see any either.

Light changed, we all hit the freeway, and the other truck took off for the fast lane, while we went for the slow one. We were watching for a mattress, because we couldn't believe the idiot could possibly keep them in the truck. We didn't get a quarter mile, before we saw people braking and trying to avoid the mattress in the fast lane. Less than another quarter mile ahead, we spotted the other one, also in the fast lane (70 MPH).

We just came abreast of it, in the slow lane, when a car spotted it too late and swerved to miss it. He did, but lost control of the car which spun a 360 across four lanes and went right in front of us. I was braking to avoid hitting him, while not getting hit from behind. Since his forward momentum was still about the same as mine at the crucial moment I could see that we would not slam into him, but I thought for sure we were going to push him into a rollover.

His tail light went out of sight in front of my hood as he spun by, and I thought for sure I was going to give him an unintended PITT maneuver, but he slid by onto the side of the road. He was doubly fortunate that he went off the road in the only nearby spot where there was no K rail.

I have no idea if any other accidents happened because of the mattress idiot. I hope not.

Rick Potter

PS: Driving home today, in a 15 mile stretch of I 10 near Quartzite, the weather went from 109 degrees with a few clouds to 83 degrees and thunder/lightning/rainstorm under the one big cloud that was dumping, then back to 113 degrees. That one stretch of highway seems to get a lot of weather.

PPS: Oh yeah, tool gloat. I brought back a 1965 JC Penny/Rockwell 10" turret RAS that I bought sight unseen six months ago for $50. It's a one owner, low mileage crème puff. I will try to get pics.
Glad your ok ,
but this is an every day occurrence on I-17, the 101-202 and the 10 I think people drive like idiots in AZ ,hey the speed limit is 65 on the interstates in the populated areas 75 as you move a little out of the Phoenix area, I drive 75 sometimes 80 and I have TT's passing me like I'm standing still. You could furnish your entire house with the stuff that litters the highways. Theres what the locals call U-Haul hill about 20 miles north of Phoenix on I-17
big yellow sign STRONG CROSSWINDS SPEED LIMIT 45 FOR VEHICLES TOWING TRAILERS
here they go 75 80 mph down the hill wham they get hit with a gust of wind and over they go. The Black Canyon F D tells me at least one a month year round.

Rick Potter
08-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Actually, I was a bit concerned that someone would get my license number. There I was, in the middle of it with a mattress in the bed of my truck. Guilt by association.

RP

Jim Koepke
08-18-2014, 1:53 PM
Idiocy knows no bounds.

There should be a separate driver's license classification to pull any trailer or drive a vehicle with an exterior load. Pickup trucks without proper cleats or hooks to secure a load shouldn't even be allowed to carry groceries in the back.

jtk

Chris Padilla
08-18-2014, 4:59 PM
Actually, I was a bit concerned that someone would get my license number. There I was, in the middle of it with a mattress in the bed of my truck. Guilt by association.

RP

Yes but it wasn't on the freeway, Rick! :)