PDA

View Full Version : A new workbench. (a bit long)

Sam Blasco
07-06-2005, 10:29 PM
When I moved into my shop in Miami 9 years ago there was already a huge work surface in the mezzanine (4' x 16') from a previous owner, and though I never really liked it, I adapted and used it as my main assembly bench for all that time. When it was time to leave Miami I knew that item was staying behind and a new bench, made to my eccentric standards, was on the horizon. The plan was simple. The adjustable legs, (Adjust-a-Bench by Geoffrey Noden) that Mr Becker so kindly turned my on to a ways back, would provide the base support, glue up a hardwood top, an end vice and a tail vice and be done with it. How hard could it be. I budgeted a week. That was over a month ago.

Many of you don't know much about me, but whenever I build anything for myself, the rule is simple. I spend no extra money on materials if possible, the project must be made from the left over material I have lying around the shop, whatever that may be. First snag. I didn't have enough hardwood in appropriate lengths to do the top I wanted to do. I did have some plywood, some cherry, some mahogany, and some walnut. Not enough of any one in particular to do a complete project, but together, it added up okay. I could make it all work if I used the plywood as the main table body and edge it in hardwood. The new plan now called for four layers of baltic birch plywood laminated together.

However, I only had enough baltic birch to do three layers, but I did have some pre-finished maple ply, so that served as my bottom layer (which meant that I didn't have to seal the bottom - serendipity at its best.) Problem -- baltic birch only comes in 5' x 5' sheets, which meant there was a seam to deal with that would be visible in the top layer. I laminated the first three layers, the plys opposing each other and the two middle layer seams on opposite sides. I thought to come up with some sort of hardwood flooring affect by cutting the top layer into 3" sections, T&G them, and glue it up with many seams, like a design that was planned for. Then I thought of the Milwaukee Museum of Art and the floor of the old wing, with its edge grain flooring and the compression strength inherent there. What if I turned the plywood on edge and laminate the strips to the substrate? I do a test piece, I like it and decide to go for it. I asked for it. The long open time required Epoxy, I thought.

Mother's day weekend the In Laws are in town, my Father In Law, a wizend boat builder and Epoxy expert, I was in luck. We plan for a vacuum bag and have at it. Worked out pretty good. After I trimmed the top nice and square, the hardwood edge would be next. After I cut the pieces the corners called for dovetails. Okay, lay them out, cut on. Once they were installed I figured the edge and end grain of the plys called for filling. I mixed up some Epoxy with dust from the tool vac (not to be confused with the shop vac) and made a good pookey, spread it, wipe it, walk away. Gave the top a nice dirty look, but it was starting to feel like a brick as things were soaking up the resin. I was liking it. The finish was two coats of Epoxy, liberally sanded between coats, and finished sanded with care, and ultimately, paraffin oil, to a silky satin. At this point my wife felt it would do well in the dining room. I would not hear of it.

Since I planned for a solid (non-skirted) top, I had gotten under-mount vices (I like them better, even if they don't look as integral as a classic bench.) Problem is the top was starting to look pretty neat, and the jaws would hide the dovetails, so I did my best to add some details that would go with it. For my jaw stock all I had was some walnut that still had bark on it and it would be too small to use if i took the bark off, so I left it and went with it. To enhance the dovetails the bench decided it needed inset vices with hardwood inlays. Who was I to say no at this point. A simple design was worked out on the jaws that accented the dovetails and the jaws were installed. All that remainded were the dog holes. I made a jig to work with my big router and a spiral bit. Problem was, with all the resin and glues in the baltic birch, and the edge grain, I had to hone the bit every two holes.

Anyway. It is done. No one was hurt during the filming, and it is finally time for the bed I have been promising my wife for the last 10 years. No excuses remain. I will try to attach some pics, but if not successful, I have supplied a link to a simple web-page that outlines in more detail the whole progression for anyone who might be interested.

Sam Blasco
07-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Here is the link to a more detailed journey.http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/postcromag/The%20Workbench/

lloyd morris
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Sam,

What a great workbench, beautiful, practical and inexpensive as well. Thanks for the pictures.

lloyd

Brian Buckley
07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
WOW Sam, you told me about this, but I could not invision how it all went together. It is absolutely beautiful. Hope I get to see it in August.

Brian

Kurt Loup
07-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Sam,

Looks great.

Kurt

Jason Tuinstra
07-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Gulp... Sam, that is one nice bench!!! That might be one of the best benches that I've seen! I've never heard using b.b.p. for a top, but it turned out great. Thanks for showing it off. Man, I'd put that in my living room, throw some lamps on it, and call it good :D

Alan Tolchinsky
07-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Hi Sam, Very cool and unusual bench. I love it! I like your frugality with wood and that bench looks like a work of art. Any idea of the weight? Alan in Md.

Brad Schmid
07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Really nice Sam, way to go!

I've been wanting to build a nice bench, but cringing at the price of hard maple here in Houston. I wonder if I could convince LOML that if I just had an MM slider I could save a bunch of greenbacks on lumber and use BBP like you :D ;)

Well done.
Brad

Alan Turner
07-07-2005, 5:08 AM
Sam,
What a wonderful design and use of offcuts. I will be interested to see how you like the end grain top. Very clever use of the walnut for the tail vise jaws. I assume the DT's that protrude are for holding stock on edge.

scott spencer
07-07-2005, 6:31 AM
That's impressive Sam. I love the big dovetailed corners. Thanks for sharing!

Mike Weaver
07-07-2005, 7:43 AM
Sam,
Thanks for sharing! That's a great looking and sturdy bench!

Cheers,
-Mike

Tyler Howell
07-07-2005, 8:34 AM
Way Cool Sam!

That is a great bench and web site. Please show us more of your work and shop too.:cool:

Mark Singer
07-07-2005, 8:53 AM
Sam,

Really a great design and beautiful work!!!

Chris Barton
07-07-2005, 8:58 AM
Sweet!!!!!! I really like the details around the twin vises! I need to be inspired like that!

Chris

Kelly C. Hanna
07-07-2005, 8:59 AM
That's a great design....I woulda never thought of edge up plywood as a top! Great dovetails on the trim...looks fantastic!

Jim Dannels
07-07-2005, 9:08 AM
That ply on edge gives a very interesting apearance.
I like the look, it creates the impression that you actually laminated every thin strip. And should make a very durable top.
Over the weekend I had stacked a number of pieces of common sandply on edge for sanding for my miter station and thought " That really looks cool".
The Edging really sets the top off, overall I like the bench.

Jim Becker
07-07-2005, 9:24 AM
Sam, there is no such thing as a post "too long"... ;)

Wow, that's a wonderful bench setup and you really pulled out all the stops to use available resources in a great way!! Awesome!

Sam Blasco
07-07-2005, 9:39 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. The idea of the BBP on edge happened by accident, as well as trying to figure design. I dropped a screw driver and hit hit and bounced off of a piece of ply laying flat and a small piece on edge. It dented the face of the flat piece and did nothing to the edge. So I did some informal experimentation and found the edge much more durable, especially in the center of the field. Naturally, the very edges of the edges chipped and frayed easily but once they were all bound together with the ends protected by the hardwood border, it proved quite impregnable. After the glue up I pounded it with a hammer and couldn't dent it. Then, after I had impregnated it with epoxy resin it really got hard. My guess is that it will hold up very well.

Brian, by August it should have a few scars on it.

And the two Alan T's -- Not sure what the weight is, but when I had the slider pulled all the way back to trim the long edge, the opposing corner of my combo raised slightly off of its pad, and to crosscut it I needed the rigid support of one of my roll around utility bench/carts to support the weight. I couldn't lift it by myself in any way, shape or form. The protruding DT's can be used to support stock on edge, but the main reason they ended up the way they did is because they were laying on the bench from the four corner DT cutouts, begging to be used, and it would have been a shame to throw them out.

Thanks again, and Tyler, the whole internet, homepage thing I am just starting to make myself familiar with it and I will start posting more of my work there and anything new I do here, as well.

Russ Filtz
07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Nice work! I think I'd rather have your shop space than the bench though! What's the "open" dovetail on the ends of the vice jaws for (with the long plug and BB wedge)? Is it decorative, or is there some potential use? Edit, sorry didn't read the last post fully.

Chris Padilla
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Sam,

Many thanks for a timely post...I'm in design-mode for my bench and the timing of this thread couldn't have been better!

This a very nice and unusal bench and I'm glad to have met it! :)

Jay Kilpatrick
07-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Ingenuity, style, and frugality...always a great combination in my book!

lou sansone
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
like others have said , that is a fantastic bench. I would be interested in how the end grain holds up, but it will probably be fine. I have built my own bench as well and posted pictures on smc, but have to say that I really like the top of yours better than mine. very good job..

best wishes
lou

Roy Wall
07-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I think is would make a good entry on the FWW tools n shops issue...

Great job Sam!!

Dan Forman
07-07-2005, 3:46 PM
Sam---Very inspired, interesting bench. Function and style melded beautifully. I guess you would qualify as a "yankee" in Dave Andersons book.

Dan

Donnie Raines
07-07-2005, 4:27 PM
me likes...me likes. It appears to be a bench for a lifetime and then some!

Kent Parker
07-07-2005, 5:43 PM
Sam,

Whoah!!! What a bench! And that top! Whewww!!!. Great piece of work!!

I have a chaulking mallet (for pounding cotton into wooden boat seams) that is made like your top, all end grain. I've been pounding chaulking irons with it for over thirty years and it can still take it. Your bench will last a very long time.

Thanks for All the photos and your web site.

Good stuff!

KP

Robert Ziegler
07-07-2005, 6:06 PM
Great post - great bench. Wonderful photo sequence, especially the extra photos at your site. I like the fact that you practiced the large DT before doing it for real. Wise move - inspiring too.

Richard Wolf
07-07-2005, 7:45 PM
Sam, beautiful job. Looks like a great work surface, nicely done.

Richard

Vaughn McMillan
07-07-2005, 7:49 PM
Great bench, and I love the details. I also really like the adjustable height; I intend to incorporate that feature when I get around to building a real bench. My bad back precludes me from bending over a lot, so being able to bring the work up to my level would be great.

Thanks for sharing the details -

- Vaughn

Chris Pasko
07-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Wow, that is one incredible bench. What are you using for legs?

Doug Shepard
08-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Sam
I'm going to pull a Lazarus with this old thread as I'm investigating alternatives to using hardwood for a bench top (also on Noden-AAB legs BTW).
If I decide to follow your lead and use BB ply laminated together with the veneer plys facing up, what's your thoughts on doing this completely vertical (4" thick)? Or would you still do horizontal layers underneath with only the top layers going vertical? I'd have to stagger all the joints to get past the 60" BB ply length but I dont have a vacuum press available so the 4" vertical strip glue up would be more managable for me. How's this thing holding up after 2 years? Anything you would have done differently?

Bob Michaels
08-01-2007, 5:47 PM
Great original ideas, Sam. I really enjoyed your detailed post with great photos.

John Shuk
08-01-2007, 5:59 PM
Superior work and design Sam. I'm blown away.

John Petsche
04-27-2014, 10:37 PM
awesome design, thanks for the posts and am interested in these adjustable benches for their flexibility. How easy is it to raise and lower? Thanks.