PDA

View Full Version : Old table saw

Andrew Hughes
08-17-2014, 6:40 PM
Finally got a proper tablesaw,Been looking for a Davis and Wells for a while,Bought it from a lady that makes signs and has no need for it any more.
Its missing the miter gage and handle that tilts is broken.Other than that is works fine.Its has a giant 1phase 2hp motor.Runs very smooth for its size.
I could use it as is but it's going to be my winter project.Looked inside should be too hard for a common woodworker like me to restore.
Thought it might interest some of you.Aj

Todd Burch
08-17-2014, 9:40 PM
Cool. I'm not familiar with a D&W saw. What is it about the saw that caused you to seek one out? 10"?

Todd

Evan Patton
08-17-2014, 9:58 PM
They are amazing saws. You can still get some parts for them even though they've been out of business for several years (google Davis and Wells--there is a lone guy that still has parts, restores machines, etc. in LA). As I recall they have a non-standard arbor diameter, but they will take a 12" blade and you can get a bushing.

Looks like you have a later model (mid-50s maybe?) I had a 1929 saw that was a beast. I didn't restore it, but did get it back to fully functioning. Really smooth. Great machining, and good bearings.

Brian W Smith
08-18-2014, 8:02 AM
As a slight tangent,we routinely bore/enlarge the arbor holes in TS blades.Have a fixture for Bridgeport that makes it quick and extremely accurate.We don't use TS's quite like other shops,even though we have a bunch.We run 10" cheapy blades on a big 16" saw.It's a simple procedure for any saw/blade shop(takes longer to describe than set-up/use).But more than likely,you'll find blades with the right size hole.Good luck with your saw,am sure it's going to turn out very nice.

Gus Dundon
08-18-2014, 3:18 PM
Haven't heard of this brand saw but it looks to be a solid saw like old delta saws.

Andrew Hughes
08-18-2014, 3:35 PM
It's does have a 3/4,arbor I plan on getting my blades bored by Daley saw.
The fellow I bought my Oliver from had two Davis and wells table saws and I was impressed how smooth they ran.At the time I had a unisaw,Let's just say I was not having a good relationship with that beast.I sold it for a song after it spit its last cutoff at me.Got me good right in the side.
Spoke to Dan at Davis and wells looks like he has a handle for the tilt.
A electrician friend of mine is going to check out the motor and wiring before I put it away for this winter.
Thanks for looking Aj

Chris Padilla
08-19-2014, 2:26 PM
I love it! Can't beat "Old Arn"!! :) :)

Jack Vines
08-21-2014, 1:36 PM
Friend of mine has been using a D&W for forty years and they'll have to pry it from his cold, dead fingers.

jack vines

Andrew Hughes
09-14-2014, 9:12 PM
Started working on the Davis and wells table saw.
Got the new bearings in the motor, really runs smooth.Need to get the fence ground flat someone hit the fence with blade not once or twice,over and over again.Saw is built really simple couple wrenches and Allen keys everthing is apart.
Would like to use the switch that's on the saw really feels nice.But the box is broken if anyone has any suggestion how to search out a replacement.Thanks
The saws Cabinet has a nice buldge probably the same one who tryd
cutting the fence.
Also tryd electrolisis on some small parts nothing seems to be happening maybe they are not rusty enough?
Heres some pics. Feel free to comment and thanks for looking.Aj