PDA

View Full Version : Festool OF 1010 or 1400

David Wadstrup
08-17-2014, 3:01 PM
Hi,

I'm in the market for my first Festool router. I'm torn between the Festool 1010 and the 1400. For those of you who have experience with both, can you tell me which you prefer?

I should say that I do not own any router bits at the moment, so am not bothered that I can't use 1/2" bits with the 1010. Also, I don't do any edge profiling, so I'm not too concerned with not being able to find a wide range of shapes in the hard to find 8mm size. I will only be using this router for dados and rabbets and maybe some small chamfering. I should also say that I'm not looking for a do everything router.

What I'd really like to know is if you think the 1010 would be powerful enough with 8mm bits to cut 3/4" dados and rabbets. Also, just generally why you prefer one over the other.

Thanks!

Frank Martin
08-17-2014, 3:22 PM
I had the older version of the small router, OF 1000 and I would say for dadoes and rabbets, that router is underpowered. I think of that router mostly for hole drilling,small edge profiles and other smaller size applications. I would recommend the larger size.

Jamie Buxton
08-17-2014, 3:44 PM
I mostly build furniture and cabinetry. I use a router a lot. I can't imagine being stuck with a router which can't take 1/2" shank bits. A smaller lighter router is good for a second tool to take care of little roundovers and such, but if I had only one router, it would be a 1/2" plunge router.

eugene thomas
08-17-2014, 7:38 PM
I don't have festool router but I would not want router that can't take 1/2" router bits unless small like laminate trim router.

John P Clark
08-17-2014, 7:54 PM
I have both the 1010 and the 1400 and use both for different tasks. The 1010 is a smaller lighter router that is good for task between a smaller laminate router and a larger router. However, if I was only going to buy on I would get the 1400 for several reasons: 1/2 collet, more power, and it is small enough and light enough to use for smaller tasks. My $0.02 for the routers

Bill Sutherland
08-17-2014, 7:59 PM
I've had both and preferred the 1400. It seemed that it was more versatile overall. Both are good machined.

Tom Ewell
08-17-2014, 8:53 PM
I suggest you take a look at the Festool site, check out the accessories for the 1010, it's a very versatile little critter.

If you do not plan on going to 1/2" bits then the 1010 will be just fine.

For the 'heavier' cuts just make a pass or two more to achieve the desired result.

I started with the 1400 and MFK well before picking up the 1010, looking back, the 1010 plus accessories combined with my PC 7539(sans dust extraction) would handle most of what the 1400/MFK combo can do.

The 1400 will cover most any routing job, the 1010 does have some limitation on power and bit selection but it can do a lot.

The best thing to do is try to find a retailer that has Festool gear in house so you can handle/demo either one and decide from there.

Festool does have a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy if your initial choice does not meet your expectations (shipping is not included)

peter gagliardi
08-17-2014, 9:24 PM
For versatility, the 1400 is a no brainer! Unless you only see yourself doing very small work, you will need the capacity of the 1/2" collet on the 1400. 1/2" bits cut much smoother than the equivalent 1/4" shank models as well. If you buy the 1010, you will quickly, and expensively learn its limitations, and will then end up owning both. The 1400 does everything the 1010 does and more- the reverse is not true!

Tom Ewell
08-17-2014, 10:47 PM
The 1400 might be a little bulky for this application.

The MFK will do it but thickness of edge banding is a little more limited.

Frank Martin
08-18-2014, 1:59 AM

Agree with you that the 1400 will not be the right router to use with that particular accessory. However, like most things woodworking there is more than one way to accomplish the same end result. I have a special sub-base (took about 30 mins to make) for my plunger where I use it on top to rout the edge banding flush with the field using a morticing or any other bottom cut bit. Works really well.

Tom Ewell
08-18-2014, 7:35 AM
like most things woodworking there is more than one way to accomplish the same end result.

Exactly

The OP asked about two routers, just trying to give the guy some info that offers a broader view than the one that seems so obvious.

I mentioned earlier that I had the 1400 prior to the 1010 that should indicate where my intial decision making was at the time.

If the guy needs/wants the capability of the 1400, that's his decision, but for some to come on here and say that the 1400 is the only way to go is absurd.

There are many who don't think Festool routers are 'that good' and say that a high quality 'other name brand' and several good bits could be had for the same price.
The merits of this argument is valid as well.

RDave Evans
08-18-2014, 7:51 AM

This application is one that led to me getting the 1010 earlier this summer and I have found it excels at it for me. I do not know if I would have the 1010 as my only router. I bought mine to complement my larger routers that handle 1/2" bits, and some bits are not available or not very useful in 1/4" or 8mm. But I have found that the 1010 is what I use most of the time, but it also does not take the place of the larger router.

David Wadstrup
08-18-2014, 8:45 AM
Thanks everyone. And thanks, Tom, for sharing your thoughts on the 1010. I really appreciated hearing them as I've definitely been leaning towards the 1010 as it seems like, power and collet size aside, that it is the better designed router. To me, the ideal set up would be to own a couple of different routers for different applications. For instance, the 1010 and 2020. This way I'd have as smaller, lighter weight router and a heavier duty one that would handle everything and all bits sizes and could easily find a home in a table if I wanted to do something like lock mortises. But for now, I think I'll go with the 1010.

Ellen Benkin
08-18-2014, 9:26 AM
I think you would have to do a lot of routing to justify purchasing a Festool product. For a small router I have the DeWalt package with the plunge feature. This one has only the 1/4" collet. For a table mounted router I have a PC that has both 1/4 and 1/2" collets. For a portable plunge router I have a Bosch that also takes both size collets. All of them perform beautifully for someone who does woodworking as a hobby and I'll bet all of them together didn't cost as much as a Festool.

Chris Padilla
08-18-2014, 8:10 PM
I've drunk most of the green Kool-Aid but I've so far been able to stay away from their tasty routers. I guess I've done just fine with my Porter Cables and Bosch Colt. However, I bet the dust collection, as always, works quite well with the Festool routers. Hmmmm..... ;)

Bill McNiel
08-18-2014, 9:37 PM
Chris - you are a sick person, please seek professional help soon. People like you are hazardous to my bank account and shop P&L (I am really trying to not get a 1400 - I have five routers allready but the 1400 is soooo cool). BTW-I prefer the DeWalt trim/plunge router to the Colt.

joseph f merz
08-19-2014, 10:56 AM
II think you will glad of your choice . i have at this time 10 routers .one of which is the 1400 . i have found in my work the 1400 is not so special .I believe in the end to get all the extra's i have spent 1400$ on it . it really doesn't do anything special . You will have fun buying your second router with a 1/2 collet when the time comes ,a used one maybe .

Tom Ewell
08-19-2014, 8:33 PM
However, I bet the dust collection, as always, works quite well with the Festool routers. Hmmmm..... ;)

Yeah, dust collection was one primary reason to get into the routers for me.

Extraction is not as complete as their sanding sets but a whole lot better than routers without the option.

I get frustrated once in while when a Festo router doesn't entirely clean up it's own mess until I grab one of the other guys and find myself covered in mess.

The Festo, at least, puts most of what it misses on the floor

Max Neu
08-20-2014, 6:33 AM
I think you got some good advise so far,and it is a tough decision because they are both good routers.I have both routers (actually I own all 4 models ),so I will give you my opinion.Since you are plannig on using it for dado's,I would get the 1400,I think you will get tired of making multiple passes with the 1010.Plus the extra weight of the 1400 will be to your adavantage for dado's.For most routing operation's ,I alway's climb cut to prevent tearout,and the heavier the, router the better for stability.When I climb cut with the big 2200,it doesn't even move when climb cutting,just the opposite with the 1010.Another thing I like about the 1400 over the 1010 is the tooless base adapters,you can go from dust shroud to standard (for non edge work or inside corners ) without the hassle of unscrewing them on and off.I also find I get better cut quality with the 1400,just because of the extra weight and mass of the machine.

Erik Christensen
08-20-2014, 4:40 PM
I have both 1010 & 2200 and for me that covers all I need a router to do. the 1010 is a more a trim router on steroids but you need either that or the 1400 to use the shelf pin rail - that alone is worth the cost of the 1010 - on my big cabinets I make the sides & back the same height (top/bottom overlap sides & back) and it is dead simple to put one or more rows of shelf pin holes on the case back for mid-span support on longer shelves.

but back to the original question - if you can have only one and dado's are part of the deal then the 1400 for sure

joseph f merz
08-20-2014, 10:06 PM
I agree the 1400 is more stable then 1100 .And i think dust collection is very important .I just have heard 1100 has great features and I know the 1400 isn't all that special .Dust collection is an add on feature . if i use the wide base the guide rail doesn't fit .it is smooth but no more then my bosch .I kinda think the poster who talked about PC and bosch has a point worth considering .

Rick Fisher
08-21-2014, 10:36 AM
I have both and use the 1400 more than the 1010 ..