PDA

View Full Version : Quick connect power cords?

Stephen Tashiro
08-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Is there a system for modifying the electric cords on hand power tools so the cords quickly attach and detach from the tool? (like the cord on my Festool sander).

Most tool cases are designed so you can't get the electric cord in the case in a systematic manner - unless you know the secret of how to fold it up factory- packed accordiion style. (How do they do that, anyway?) I've seen systems for storing power tool cords that take up large amounts of space like putting the tool up on a rack and letting the cord hand vertically down below it or putting the tool in a bucket with the cord coiled below it. I'd prefer to take the electric cords off tools and store all the cords separately.

Matt Day
08-17-2014, 1:22 PM
Some people cut the power cord a few inches from the tool and install a new male end. That way you just have a pigtail and plug in the extension cord basically at the tool.

HANK METZ
08-17-2014, 3:19 PM
They used to do that in fact, back in the '70's as I recall. I had a B&D portable drill with such a setup. Later in the decade they moved on to just giving you a pigtail, but too many users got shocked when the plug separated slightly from the extension cord cap, so it was back to the original hard wired 6- footer.

Stephen Tashiro
08-17-2014, 3:28 PM
Some people cut the power cord a few inches from the tool and install a new male end. That way you just have a pigtail and plug in the extension cord basically at the tool.

That would be OK if there was convenient clip that would hold the plugs together and attach to the short cord so the clip wouldn't get lost. I've seen clips that hold male plugs into the female plugs of extension cords, but I haven't seen any I'd call convenient.

David Hawxhurst
08-17-2014, 9:33 PM
125v twist lock plugs might be what your looking for (i.e. L5-20 series are 125v twist lock). festool parts are hard to come by in the US but you can find plug-it stuff overseas.

Lonnie Gallaher
08-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Milwaukee Electric tools have some with quick disconnect power cords. It may be possible to retro fit a power tool with the Milwaukee parts.