PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Mistake #2 Help

Tom Megow
08-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I had my jumbo jaw mounted to I did bowl bottom yesterday. When I finished this bowl I saw That I had failed to finish the inside. Rookie Mistake#2 in one day. I do not know how to remount this to finish the inside. A Glue block was my only Idea outside of spending a few hours of hand sanding. I do not have the double buttons for my jumbo jaws. Any and All help appreciated
Tom
Ala

Al Launier
08-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Turn a larger bowl so the inside matches (slightly larger) the outside of your good bowl. Then use dbl-bk tape to hold the good bowl in the larger bowl while finishing it.

John Keeton
08-17-2014, 1:45 PM
IMO, a glue block would be much simpler. I would glue on a 2.5" disk, reverse the bowl in your Cole jaws and turn a tenon on the block that will be on the same plane as the rim of the bowl to minimize wobble.

John King
08-17-2014, 1:58 PM
Vacuum chuck it. If you don't have a vacuum chuck rig, find someone in your local woodturning club that has one and beg for some time on his lathe to finish the inside. - John

Robert McGowen
08-17-2014, 1:59 PM
Set your jumbo jaws to match the BOTTOM of the bowl. It does not look like the buttons will hold the bowl on it's own, but they should center the bowl up nicely and keep it from flying out. Get a small piece of wood and center it on your tail stock. Using the tail stock, press the block of wood up against the inside of the bowl to keep the bowl on the jaws and the block of wood will keep the tail stock from marring the bowl. Since you are just sanding, you can go at a fairly low speed and sand away. All that should be left to hand sand will be the small area that was underneath the wood block. :) YMMV

John Keeton
08-17-2014, 2:39 PM
...Since you are just sanding...That may be the case, but the OP doesn't say that. Not sure "finish" means the same to everyone.

Tom Megow
08-17-2014, 5:46 PM
It has some tools marks , I think I could get out easier with my scrapper or BG. Sanding is also easier on the lathe as well as finishing (using a friction polish currently)

Richard Casey
08-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Tom, one of the ways I have found around this problem is to have a variety of extensions for the mounts on your Cole Jaws. I buy a series of longer Allenhead Cap Screws in 2 inch, 3 inch and 4 inch and then machine some machining nylon or delrin in 2 inch, 3 inch and 4 inch extension posts to support the plastic blocks, so you can grip the edge of the bowl way out. If you cant follow this let me know and I will try and upload a photo. It will take a while as I will have to get a friend to do it as I only have a Tablet.
rgds,
Richard.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-18-2014, 8:12 AM
Tom,
We were all new turners at some time and I can pretty well guarantee you most of us made bowls we wanted to repair. In retrospect, the effort is rarely worth the results. Don't spend your time trying to fix a learners mistake when the bowl is already finished. Instead, put that bowl aside and begin a new one. That bowl has already done it's job. It taught you a lot. The next one will be better and so on. Keep referring back to the mistakes you made now and you will quickly see improvement in your work.
faust

Prashun Patel
08-18-2014, 8:45 AM
You might consider investing in a right angle drill outfitted with a sanding mandrell. In a pinch, I sand off the lathe with one of these.

Grant Wilkinson
08-18-2014, 9:56 AM
FWIW, I'm with John. I have jumbo jaws and hold the piece in them by the rim. Then, it's a simple matter to attach a glue block with double sided tape and turn a tenon onto the block. Chuck up the tenon and the interior of the bowl is open for anything you want to do with it.

Dan Jechura
08-19-2014, 11:25 AM
I had this problem many times. I keep a stack of my mistake bowls to remind me what II have do in the past ( wrong) and where I've come from in my skills. I also invested in a vaccum chuck. I works most of the time.
Good looking bowl.