PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Mistake #1

Tom Megow
08-17-2014, 11:11 AM
I was finishing bowls. When I finished I realized it was a mortised bottom not a tenon bottom.Rookie mistake! I was VERY thin. It was going on my failure pile. I thought maybe I could fill the tenon and save the bowl. I had some walnut laying around so I cut a 2" circle and glued it in.The bottom is solid now. I think the walnut is a nice contrast to the Crepe Myrtle

charlie knighton
08-17-2014, 11:30 AM
over come.....walnut looks good....you might always use a thicker piece (of walnut or whatever) and pull up the tailstock, turn the walnut to finish and cut off nub where tailstock holds piece, always use tailstock when possible

Tom Megow
08-17-2014, 4:23 PM
That's what I did i think, I cut a 3/4" thick circle of walnut, glued it in and put my cone live center against it. I cut cut away most of it except the nub.

Paul Williams
08-17-2014, 5:29 PM
Been there, Done that, as I suspect most of us have cut too close to the bottom of a bowl.

Thom Sturgill
08-17-2014, 5:38 PM
I made a pedestal bowl (sometimes called a compote) for the same reason once. Didn't quite cut through the center but it was paper thin. Used epoxy as a gap filler and turned a tenon to fit the mortice.