PDA

View Full Version : Mitresaw works, but

steven c newman
08-17-2014, 7:13 AM
Ok, it is not a top of the line model295005Just a $5 saw. Those white, plastic guides look like they need something. 90 degree cuts, the cut tends to go at a slight angle, like the blade is loose. 45 degree cuts are decent295006

Is there suppose to be "O" rings on those white plastic guides? If so, any idea what size I would need to get? Looks like I would need a bunch of them, too. might cost more for the rings than the saw did.

( is that too many ? marks, David?)

Jim Matthews
08-17-2014, 8:03 AM
There's play in the design, even in my mega-buck Langdon.

I would verify that the mechanism underneath the table
is properly fitted. Any slop there with translate to the cut.

If you fit a stop block to hold the workpiece down as well as to the back fence,
the workpiece will move less, further reducing error sourcse.

Lastly, the saw needs to be so sharp as you can manage
and this fine tooth saw, so that's hardly trivial.

I consider my miter saw to be a prep station for my shooting board.

Some of the experienced hands can get four corners to line up,
right off the saw. I plan to trim the last with my plane for best fit.

(FYI - I tend to cut the last two corner pieces together, clamped to my bench at 90 degrees.)

David Weaver
08-17-2014, 9:03 AM
( is that too many ? marks, David?)

Looks like they're on questions this time, so looks good to me!

Keep your eyes peeled for an old langdon 74 or 75 miter box when you're out on your travels. Might find one and might not, but you'll appreciate it if you do.

george wilson
08-17-2014, 9:52 AM
"O" rings might help. They aren't expensive. Put 2 in each white plastic saw support,in the grooves. You need 8 in all. Or,put 4 in each support if you think it necessary. They can't do any harm. Make sure the O rings are the same size,and stretch snugly into their grooves.

Moses Yoder
08-17-2014, 9:59 AM
MY 242 Stanley or whatever the number also has some slop, maybe not as much. The end needs to be dressed somehow anyway, shooting board or trimmer or whatever. I always thought the miter box was to get it close or whatever.

David, I am working with a doper from Woodstock now and he says "whatever" a lot, I am picking up on the habit.

David Weaver
08-17-2014, 10:05 AM
I can't imagine a cabinetmaker being happy with a finished edge off of the langdon box I have, but I have an old dewalt miter saw that is accurate enough that it makes laser miters, even on very large pieces of trim (from when they made those saws in the US).

I never would've noticed that you're a hippie now, Moses, but now your secret is out.

For my entire childhood, that's what my sister said in response to anything I said to her.

"whatever".

It was her way of telling me that she really didn't ever want me to talk at all.

george wilson
08-17-2014, 12:07 PM
She probably wasn't interested in sharpening stones,David!!:)