PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Speedy 300 base dimensions?

Mayo Pardo
08-16-2014, 3:54 PM
I bought a used Trotec Speedy 300 and to my surprise, there was no base. I did get the casters though. Being that the machine is almost 350 lbs, and only about two feet tall, it's too low to use on the floor with no stand. And it's too tall to put on a work bench.

I can buy one direct from Trotec but, believe it or not, it's close to $1000. when tax and shipping are added in. (Assuming tech support gave me the correct prices).

If I have to get a fabricator to weld up a base, I would need dimensions.
Are there threaded holes in the bottom of the laser which the stand would bolt into?
I can't lift the machine to find and measure these holes until I get two or three more people to help. I wouldn't necessarily have to bolt it to the base if it had a large enough platform to sit on.

Any Speedy 300 owners willing to send me measurements or post them here?

It would be greatly appreciated!

David Somers
08-16-2014, 4:44 PM
Mayo ,

just a thought. Perhaps this is not appropriate. But why not make a stout short work bench to put it on. If you were concerned about it sliding off you could always put a lip around it. But i suspect that would not be an issue.

I have made some heck fer stout work benches in my days and it would be easy and inexpensive. With a run to a lumber yard today you could probably have it setup and running tonight or in the morning? Go overboard and bolt it together and it will be strong and stable.

Dave

Bill George
08-16-2014, 7:53 PM
The base like on a copying machine could work, heavy duty copy machines are hauled to the dump every day. Or find a place that services copy machines and see If they are junking one out.

Mike Null
08-17-2014, 8:11 AM
I would build a base out of 4x4 red oak (pine would do) and be sure to use the casters with stops. You should be able to do this for less than $200.

There are a couple of holes but I can't get to mine to measure them but with a 300 pound weight it's not going to be moving anyway.

Mayo Pardo
08-17-2014, 5:21 PM
OK if I can't get the location for the holes on the bottom, it's probably not a big deal.
I think the only way the laser would slide or tip would be in a huge earthquake and we don't get those here in IL.

What's the height, width, and depth of the standard base on the Speedy 300?
I could just build a platform base to the entire footprint of the laser housing but maybe that's overkill.

Bill George
08-17-2014, 9:33 PM
OK if I can't get the location for the holes on the bottom, it's probably not a big deal.
I think the only way the laser would slide or tip would be in a huge earthquake and we don't get those here in IL.

What's the height, width, and depth of the standard base on the Speedy 300?
I could just build a platform base to the entire footprint of the laser housing but maybe that's overkill.
You'd think the Mfg should have a drawing with the measurements available .

Robert Tepper
08-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Mayo, I have a Rayjet 300. Mounting on a wood table would be fine as long as it has rollers to access the side doors. I find it very important to be able to remove the side doors for cleaning of drop off and dirt.

I take off both side doors every week and do a thorough cleaning with both a vacuum and an air compressor hose.

Robert

donald bugansky
08-23-2014, 3:10 PM
Mayo,

I have a speedy 300 and I am in the shop this weekend. What dimensions would you like?

Thx - Bugs

Kev Williams
08-23-2014, 3:54 PM
You can build a 2' high 3' x 3' table like below out of four 2x4's and a half sheet of 3/4" plywood for the top. Around $25? Home Depot will cut the wood to size, you just have to screw it all together. Weight is no problem, it'll support tons. Harbor Freight will have any wheels you might need...

http://www.engraver1.com/table.jpg

Mayo Pardo
08-23-2014, 4:21 PM
Hi Donald

I'm just looking for the dimensions of the base only.
Height, width side to side, depth front to back.
If the laser gets bolted to the base, the location of the bolt holes would be a help but I suspect it doesn't really need to be bolted since it weighs 300lbs.
I have the casters and associated screws but not the base.

I appreciate the drawing Kev. Thank you for the effort. It would need considerable alteration for this machine though because it would place the top of the machine at 4 feet from the ground, and with 5G acceleration/140 inches per second speed possible, the side to side sway will be an issue. The plywood top would tie it all in and help prevent that somewhat.

I may have a local steel fabricator weld up something similar to the original, or I'll make one with 4x4 post legs and 2x4 braces if I get actual dimensions of the factory supplied base.

Thanks again everyone!

Keith Outten
08-23-2014, 4:51 PM
Mayo,

A few pictures might help.

Its 10.875" from the front of the angle (1.5" by 2") to the center of the socket head cap screws.
Its 37" wide from the outside of one square tube to the other.
Its 19.25" from the front edge of the angle to the back edge. Note that the large rubber feet in the back do not set on the angle.
Its 18.875" from the floor to the top of the angle.
I hope my measurements are accurate but I get dizzy looking up these days because of the meds I am taking.

Keith Outten
08-23-2014, 4:54 PM
FWIW I would prefer a stand that had storage shelves for plastic sheets. Its a waste of space not having a stand that can be used to store material right under the machine.

Mike Null
08-23-2014, 4:57 PM
I think wood will do just fine and won't need any anchoring. If that worries you screw on a couple of stops on either end.

Dan Hintz
08-23-2014, 5:10 PM
FWIW I would prefer a stand that had storage shelves for plastic sheets. Its a waste of space not having a stand that can be used to store material right under the machine.

I always felt the Trotec stand was designed backwards. I even tried to reverse it when I first set it up, but no go.

Mike Null
08-23-2014, 5:39 PM
I agree on that point.

Tony Lenkic
08-23-2014, 5:49 PM

Agree 100% on storage space.

Mayo Pardo
08-24-2014, 1:18 AM
That's perfect Keith - thank you so much for doing that.

Looking at the photos it seems like a strange way to build a stand. Maybe the design takes into consideration that it has to break down for shipping, and easily bolt together. Is it just one flat piece of sheet metal joining the left side to the right side? I think I would make that a 2x2 like the legs.

The rubber feet appear to poke through holes in the angle instead of allowing the machine to rest on them and absorb any sway or vibration. Maybe they get compressed over time? Maybe the rubber feet are just for shipping purposes.

Anyways now I have some dimensions to bring to the fabricator! Thanks again :-)

Kev Williams
08-24-2014, 1:27 AM
I appreciate the drawing Kev. Thank you for the effort. It would need considerable alteration for this machine though because it would place the top of the machine at 4 feet from the ground, and with 5G acceleration/140 inches per second speed possible, the side to side sway will be an issue. The plywood top would tie it all in and help prevent that somewhat.
Below a pic of my table. I drew the graphic while sitting here looking at it. My dad built it in 1989 when we got the 5000XT that's sitting on it. It's 4' x 8', and the legs are 27" tall. It took six 2x4's, five 1x4's and 1 sheet of plywood. (and a piece of Formica.) The braces are just 1x4's, and there are 1x4 braces along the top of the front and back (which I didn't draw into the graphic). Very cheap to build and it's not flimsy, it's rock solid. The engraver weighs around 360 pounds, and I've engraved 300 pound fully assembled elevator walls on the thing. A Trotec isn't going to make it wobble any more than it would a steel table. No problem making it any height you want. If you want shelves, the lower braces can be placed so you can set a couple of shelves on them...
Forgive the mess, which is a fact of life here since I don't have time to be a janitor too :D