PDA

View Full Version : info on bowtie or dutchman crack repair/inlay?

Jeffrey J Smith
08-16-2014, 2:18 PM
Okay, I know I should have bookmarked it, but now that I need it, I can't find it...a while back (few months?) someone posted a link to information and a video on inlaying bowties or dutchmen to repair a crack. Now that I've got both the need and the time, I'd rather not spend an entire weekend experimenting. I've done searches on the forums I lurk, but no joy...anyone have a link to some info?

charlie knighton
08-16-2014, 5:11 PM
on utube I searched and found the bowtie but it was all for flatwork.......when I was looking at calabash stuff earlier I found they use bowties in Hawaii a lot, seems there was a curved sander to get an even surface

the people of the southwest used twine (twisted yucca) to fill in broken gaps in the pottery , really wacky looking, could not use it near bottom, because many of the vessels were used for cooking over a fire

Mark Levitski
08-17-2014, 3:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3qp2eMxDPg

Jeffrey J Smith
08-17-2014, 6:29 PM
Charlie - your comment about Hawaii reminded sent me to a guy that makes templates for the bowties (http://www.woodcraftguild.org/?p=183), but Mark's was the link to the video I was thinking of. Just needed to take another look at the process before ruining a few bowls...

Thanks

charlie knighton
08-17-2014, 7:18 PM
Jeff, that is a cool site, template is gulp, like the different sizes, love the turtle, but turtle only comes in one size

Kelvin Burton
08-17-2014, 7:25 PM
Jeffrey, I think the article you are referring to was the one posted by Kelly Dunn on WOW on July 14 titled "The Big Kahuna". I see you are a member there.

Jeffrey J Smith
08-18-2014, 1:09 AM
Jeffrey, I think the article you are referring to was the one posted by Kelly Dunn on WOW on July 14 titled "The Big Kahuna". I see you are a member there.
Kevin - I can't locate Kelly's post - went to the old site, no joy there from the 14th of July, the new site is a little confusing, but I cant seem to find it there either. Can you send a link?

Jeff

Stephen Walker
08-18-2014, 6:41 AM
Jeff,
You might PM Dane Fuller here, or, check him out over at Wood Barter. He makes the templates and the patches in 3 different sizes. I have his 3/4" template and it works great. IIRC there is a tutorial in their classroom forum that shows the process, and a pretty good description of what all you need in the classifieds.