PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max Stroke Sander Hand Block Pad

bill alburger
08-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the great info on this website! It was a huge help to me as I decided which to buy: a stroke sander, wide-belt or drum sander.

I purchased a used Mini Max L55 and have have read that there is an art to making the hand block pad. I'd love to know what is recommended...

Thanks!

Bill

Bill Orbine
08-16-2014, 10:07 PM
The handheld blocks are usually a little narrower than the sanding belt and it's length is about 12" or so. Always a good idea to use a graphite backed cloth available Ebay or directly from the company (PEC- Process Engineering Corporation). Attached image here shows a handheld block approximately 5 1/2" wide and 12" long with clothed backed graphite and 1/4" thick cork.... that I primarily use for flushing glued on hardwood edge (like shelve with hardwood edge build-up). Other than cork, you can use carpet (good for strictly plywood materials) or different variations of "hardness" needed to sand various materials safely. This block pictured I knocked off in a few minutes.

Kevin Jenness
08-17-2014, 7:52 AM
I made a block similar to what Loren describes for my old Boice Crane, about 5"x9", three 3/4" ply layers, the middle one hollowed out and filled with shot. Feathered edges all around the bottom, then covered with firm felt (McMaster Carr) and graphite cloth. The weight was about 5 lbs, and was much easier to use than the unweighted pads I got with the machine.

I since got an L55, and have been using the standard lever pad on veneered and solid panels with good results. I may make a handheld pad for curved work, but haven't needed to yet. I can see that a stiffer material like cork might be better for flushing off edging than the standard fairly soft foam on my lever pad.

Aside from space issues, I don't understand why stroke sanders aren't more widely used. For going from planer or widebelt to a finish-ready surface, I haven't seen anything better or faster.

bill alburger
08-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've never used a forum before.

Thanks, Bill, for your info and picture. They were so helpful.

Kevin, thank you so much, thanks for taking the time to help answer my questions. It was helpful. I'm so glad you feel so strongly about the stroke sanders!

I have never used a stroke sander and I still haven't used mine as I am waiting for parts for the dust system. I plan to sand slab wood and barn wood. My final projects don't need to be flat, but they do need to be well sanded, so I'm assuming a more spungie block would be best for me. I'm deciding between 1/4 felt and 1/2 felt. I guess I may just need to experiment.

I plan to make a few different pads, because I do not need the wood to be perfectly flat, as most do.

I found a post were Rick Lizek said he would share how to make a hand block pad. Has anyone ever gotten Rick's directions or is Rick still sharing?

Thanks so much!

Bill