PDA

View Full Version : Old plumb bob

Moses Yoder
08-15-2014, 7:52 PM
I paid $8 for this today at a local junk sale, even my wife thought I did good. The picture sucks, my hands are too shaky I think, maybe too close up. I was wondering why the bottom portion is cast iron and the top either brass or bronze? How would I tell the difference between brass and bronze? It looks like brass to me. Approximately when would this have been made? It has a rather deep threaded piece for the string, does not thread very tight. He said this was his dad's and later said his dad was a junk collector. Half the fun of finding something like this is talking to the guys behind it about their stuff.

294915 294916

Tony Zaffuto
08-15-2014, 9:37 PM
You did good. I accumulate plumb bobs and have hundreds of them, with virtually no duplicates. I have not seen one like yours and would easily pay 3 or 4 times what you paid. I have no explanation for the metal combo.

Jim Ritter
08-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Nice plumb bob! From what I know the steel points were used because the are more durable and replaceable. If the bob is dropped a brass point could get bent, then the bob is inaccurate.
Jim

Stan Calow
08-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Yes to what Jim said. Did some surveying years ago.

Stew Denton
08-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Another yes to Jim and Stan. I have seen ones that had been dropped and had a bent tip. Also, as they were used they would swing back and forth against the ground, and the brass would wear down much more quickly than would the brass.

Stew

Jim Ritter
08-16-2014, 12:12 PM
I did some surveying also Stan. Almost made a career out of it but started boatbuilding and there was no going back.
Jim