PDA

View Full Version : I never saw this coming;

Richard Wolf
07-06-2005, 8:46 PM
My landlord where I rent my shop space sold the building. I don't seem to see eye to eye with the new owner, lots of new rules, raising the rent, taking some of my storage space away. So I found a new shop 1/2 mile away. Lots bigger, room from a showroom, and the price is the same as I pay now.
So here's the problem, I'm 57 and I really don't feel like moving a shop again. It sounds like fun to set up shop fresh, but in reality it's alot of tough work. My step son works with me to help, but it's something I am not looking forward to.
Thanks for letting me rant!

Richard

Todd Davidson
07-06-2005, 9:02 PM
That's a drag Richard. I'm sure overcoming being settled in and comfortable with your current space is half the battle of moving. Having a showroom sounds like a mighty fine prospect though. And you said it's bigger - so how about that dust collector you were looking at? If it comes down to your needing a hand moving - as long as I don't have to help with that dust collector ;) - PM me. Have van will travel. Best of luck with the endeavor. In peace, Todd

lou sansone
07-06-2005, 9:05 PM
I hate moving also... I don't know anyone who likes it. It seems that we keep getting more and more things to keep track of. It does sound like there may be a silver lining to the story with the bigger space and all that.

best wishes and now you have a real excuse to throw all that good junk out :rolleyes:

lou

Jim Becker
07-06-2005, 9:09 PM
Look at this as an opportunity to change the things that might have been bugging you for awhile and for refocusing your business on the work you enjoy the most. Change can be good.

Bob Noles
07-06-2005, 9:12 PM
Richard,

There is little torture any worse than thinking of moving a WW shop. Man these tools are heavy and my heart goes out to you. If you go for it though, the pain will soon be forgotten after you are up and running in a new set up with a smile on your face and pride in what you do.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-06-2005, 9:14 PM
Sounds like it could, in the long run, be a good move for you. Hardly anyone likes to move; I understand that. This could be a good time to verify and update your inventory and insurance. Good luck!

Tony Falotico
07-06-2005, 9:31 PM
I feel for you buddy, I'd hate to have to move and set up again. :mad:

You told me once before you would like to come south some day, this might be your chance........ :D

How did your trip to East Northport go today?

Sam Blasco
07-06-2005, 9:34 PM
Just finished getting my new shop to where I can work instinctively again. Only took 9 months after the move from Miami. There wasn't much fun about the actual move but it is what it is, and I'd have to say it all works out in the end very positively. Life is funny that way. Trust it.

Richard Wolf
07-06-2005, 9:48 PM
Thanks guys for the fast responses and encouragement. It will work out.

Todd; thanks for the offer.

I feel for you buddy, I'd hate to have to move and set up again. :mad:

You told me once before you would like to come south some day, this might be your chance........ :D

How did your trip to East Northport go today?

Not ready to move south for at least three more years, one left in college, thats got to get done first.
The East Northport thing went well, waiting to hear. The project is off of Larkfield, well south of the RR tracks where your Dad had his shop.

Richard

Steve Clardy
07-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Sure glad I'm not on the renting thing anymore. I bought this place 10 years ago and finally got it paid for. Get up in the morning, coffee, walk a hundred feet out back to the 3500 sq. ft. shop, more coffee. If I don't like what I see, I continue on out to the back 31 acres and look around for a while till I'm ready to work.

I feel for ya on the moving. I did that 12 times in 32 years of marriage. Home, shop, kids, critters. I told the wife to bury me out back so I won't have to move again.
Steve

Dale Thompson
07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Richard,
AT 57, you are just a kid. ;) On the other hand, I understand what you are saying about moving and all of the garbage associated with it. I'm closing in on 64 and I've recently spread the word around to my friends and relatives that I am done with framing, "roughing in" plumbing and pulling wire for finished basements, garages, etc. Part of it has to do with the hourly rate that I charge - zero!! :mad: :)

I would like to concentrate on "real" woodworking with the three or four months that I have left. :( Realistically, though, if the wife and I decide to consolidate the house and cabin into one place, it would, by definition, include a larger shop (from the house) and a larger rec room (from the cabin) for me. I would be more than happy to do all the "roughing in" stuff and the finishing stuff for both places. :)

That way, when I was tired of making scrap in the shop, I could go into the rec room and smash up more of my 1:32 scale slot cars on a straightaway that would be longer than the 18 ft I have now. I could also lose more money to myself on the slot machine, lose more games of Cricket on the electronic dart board to the computer, miss EASY goals on the air hockey table and screw up every card trick on the game table. :eek: ;) I would want to add a pool table - just to see how bad I can be! :cool:

Kidding aside, Richard, look at this as a challenge instead of problem! Whatever, you guys in the younger generation always have to have SOMETHING to complain about! :p :)

Dale T.

Bill Fields
07-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Richard-

Tip:

I got a 2 ton engine hoist from an auto parts chain store for $120--it works well and it's on wheels. In fact, I just bought 5" rubber tired casters for it instead of the "3 cast iron rollers that came w/ it.

Many hands make light work.

Good luck--you will be glad you did it!

BILL FIELDS

Ian Barley
07-07-2005, 2:01 AM
Richard

I know exactly how you feel. I am just going through the same process for about the same reason.

I have found a new unit about 8 miles away which is bigger, better laid out and about the same cost. I am excited about the prospect of being in there but am dreading the process of getting in there. Not helped because I am going to have to complete the move during my busy business season.

Ah well - that which does not kill me......

By the way - anybody who wants to volunteer to come give me a hand will be very willingly accepted.

Michael Gabbay
07-07-2005, 8:17 AM
Richard - I hear you! My wife talks about moving and all I can think of is dismantiling the TS, BS and dust collection system and hauling it out of my basement shop. I've told here that it is going to mean that I get a VERY nice shop in the new house if we ever move.

I'll be up your way in a few weeks (Amagansett) to visit with my FIL and do a little fishing. Where is your new shop? When are you moving?

Mike

larry merlau
07-07-2005, 9:00 AM
I feel for ya on the moving. I did that 12 times in 32 years of marriage. Home, shop, kids, critters. I told the wife to bury me out back so I won't have to move again.
Steve[/QUOTE]

hey steve, that would'nt be good for the ground, to many contaminate's in ya but it might make for some very pretty wood from the trees that grew there :D

Kelly C. Hanna
07-07-2005, 9:00 AM
I used to love to move until I got married...now I hate it! I have to move both the house and the shop this time and it's not all portable like the last time I moved it. I am dreading that part. I feel your pain!!

Bob Borzelleri
07-07-2005, 3:40 PM
Just finished getting my new shop to where I can work instinctively again. Only took 9 months after the move from Miami. There wasn't much fun about the actual move but it is what it is, and I'd have to say it all works out in the end very positively. Life is funny that way. Trust it.

I'm pushing 14 months since we finished the shell of the new shop and only today can I look around and see a "finished" interior. I'm about to go out and do my post construction cleanup and begin to put the tools back where they should be.

Fifty-seven? I was fifty-seven when we bought the land for the house and shop. You still got a few good years left. But, I'd get that move finished off before you hit fifty-eight if you feel like you are getting weary now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...Bob

Chris Padilla
07-07-2005, 4:24 PM
Richard,

You may not be looking forward to the journey right now but about half-way through it, you will start to see that the end will justify the means!!

Richard Wolf
07-07-2005, 7:36 PM
Richard -

I'll be up your way in a few weeks (Amagansett) to visit with my FIL and do a little fishing. Where is your new shop? When are you moving?

Mike

Mike, What a beauitful place Amagansett is. If you have never been there you are in for a treat, if you have, you already know that.
My shop is about in the middle of Long Island, on the North Shore, by Port Jefferson.

All, thank you so much for your sincere encouragement, it alway helps knowing we all face the same situations.

Richard

John Shuk
07-07-2005, 9:23 PM
If you hate the idea of moving then think about the prospect of staying. It sounds like that would be pretty unpleasant. If you don't jump on this place now who knows what will happen when you REALLY don't get along with this dude.

Jim Andrew
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Richard, consider renting a skidloader with forks for your move. My Case 60 Xt will drive right in a 7' high garage door. When I got my new 10" Oliver jointer,
I just drove it right into place carrying the thing with a chain. Sorry, it's in Kansas. Jim

Dale Rodabaugh
07-08-2005, 7:17 AM
Just went thru the same thing with the wifes quilt shop.I realize that it might not be as hard moving tons of shelves and fabric,as it is moving equipment.however I am 67 years old and we got thru it,with a little help,from a good friend,who is 72,and one of my sons.She is now in a much better location,nicer shop with lots of light,and she really enjoys going to the shop each day.Oh yeah we moved the last of Jan.in NE Ohio,so you can imagine what the weather was like.Once you get moved you will be glad you did.Good luck.;) PS her rent is now less than it was in the old place,and utilities are less.:D :D :D