PDA

View Full Version : Warning: fully exposed ignorance inside!

Dan Duperron
08-14-2014, 10:06 PM
All right ladies and gentlemen.

I know nothing about engraving. I've never engraved or had anything engraved, and I don't even have any tattoos.

Now that we have that out of the way, I am wondering if it is possible to engrave a name on the blade of something exactly like this:

294860 (image from the LeeValley web site, click to make it bigger)

If so, (and this is NOT a solicitation), is this a simple job or a complicated job, and as far as cost would you expect we are talking tens or hundreds of dollars each for a quantity <5? What factors contribute to cost/price? I really have no idea what this type of work goes for or why.

Anything else I should know? Anything else you need to know? Assume nothing as far as my knowledge level.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Glen Monaghan
08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

And hammer to fit...

Kev Williams
08-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Black finish all but eliminates laser etching. It CAN be laser etched, but it the black will only lighten up a few shades. Pearl white Cermark might work, but I'm not sure.

Me, I would suggest diamond drag engraving. With some angled hatch filling, or a multi-line font, it would look pretty good.

For less than 5, cost would be "10's", but $100 or less for 4 knives. But that's me...

Chris DeGerolamo
08-15-2014, 9:08 AM
Cermark is not designed for use on coated metals.

I would presume the finish is similar to KABAR knives...done plenty of them just fine.

The game I play is called "rock, paper, scissors, laser" -- laser always wins.

Dan Duperron
08-15-2014, 9:13 AM
Hey Kev, thanks. I can picture what you are saying about the diamond drag process, using a mechanical method would get through the black coating.

From reading the manufacturer's page the Cermark sounds very interesting as well, and possibly better if it works. These whackers won't be ceremonial, they will get some use cutting trails through Central American jungle. Cermark claims their marks are 'permanent'. Cutting through the black layer would expose the underlying metal to rust I assume, and the Cermark wouldn't do that.

Hmmm.

How would one go about figuring out if Cermark would work?

Dan Duperron
08-15-2014, 9:35 AM
Looks like you and I were typing at the same time Chris. Thanks for the input.

Hope I haven't opened a can of worms here but perhaps it's like a lot of things - different ways to get the job done depending on your equipment and experience.

Mike Null
08-15-2014, 10:20 AM
I don't think Cermark will be your answer. I do Kabar knives with a diamond. I believe that under the coating they are stainless steel.

Kev Williams
08-15-2014, 1:04 PM
Only reference I have to lasering black metal is this floor plate, which actually turned out better than I expected. Most times I can't get black metal to lighten up this much.
(The head-in-smoke didn't turn out that great, lack of contrast)

I would definitely recommend diamond etching-

Martin Boekers
08-15-2014, 5:36 PM
I may be wrong, but it seems I remember someone here lasering a knife to get to the metal, then coating it with Cermark and re-lasering.