PDA

View Full Version : I'm coming back to America

Tai Fu
08-14-2014, 8:51 PM
I just got an immigration visa to the US, so I'll be coming around December.

I will probably find a way to sell all my tools in Taiwan because honestly I dont know if it's worth it shipping them... especially when the tools are probably not that good compared to what you can get from Grizzly. Still hand tools I will ship over...

I think I will try and get a job at a guitar company or something.

Jay Rasmussen
08-14-2014, 9:07 PM
Welcome Tai Fu!
We need more wood working folks.
Jay

Bruce Page
08-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Congrats! Have you picked a place yet?

Mike Heidrick
08-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Welcome!! and good luck getting your dream job.

Phil Thien
08-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Congratulations!

And I'm wondering the same thing as Bruce, have any idea where you'll locate?

Andrew Hughes
08-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Good for you Tai, hope everthing works out well for you.Down by San Diego http://www.taylorguitars.com/ they make some nice instruments.If you did move here you would be near the best woodworkers in the United States.:)

Tai Fu
08-15-2014, 1:09 AM
I will be in Fremont, CA for the first few months of arrival, but I haven't decided where I'd go from there... I need to see what happens first.

John Coloccia
08-15-2014, 6:24 AM
Man, don't go to work for a guitar factory, Tai. You won't be building guitars. The key word here is "factory". That's all they are and it's no different than a tire factory, or any other factory. It's a good call leaving the tools in Taiwan.

Hey, now you'll be able to get all that stuff that's impossible to get in Taiwan! Didn't I even ship you something once? Maybe it was someone else, but I know we've talked about this before on that other forum.

Tai Fu
08-15-2014, 8:50 PM
I realize that... but at the same time it will give me a chance to really beef up some essential guitarmaking skills such as fret work...

Tai Fu
08-15-2014, 9:59 PM
On another note, I have a Powermatic 1150, do you think that's worth shipping back to the states? It's 3 phase but connected to a VFD.

John Coloccia
08-15-2014, 10:39 PM
On another note, I have a Powermatic 1150, do you think that's worth shipping back to the states? It's 3 phase but connected to a VFD.

I remember when you bought that. What power do you have in Taiwan? It's been many years since I've been there so I forget now. Any idea how much it would cost to transport? I'm guessing it won't be cheap, and you'll really have to goop it up to keep it from rusting on the boat ride.

Tai Fu
08-15-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm calling a van line to see what the costs will be. The power is not relevant since it's 3 phase, and Taiwan uses the same power system as the US.

Barry Richardson
08-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Good luck on your new adventure Tai! +1 on checking out Taylor Guitars, I've toured their facility a couple of times, looked like a cool place to work, I wouldn't call it factory conditions.... but of course you wont be exercising any personal creativity, just doing what the man tells you...

Tai Fu
08-16-2014, 11:36 AM
I checked Taylor's website... they are only hiring marketing/office workers and not people who does the manufacturing.

Also I decided to scrap the van line idea. They wanted 3000 US just to move a relatively small amount of things and it just seems it would have been cheaper to Fedex the stuff!