PDA

View Full Version : Replacement rubber for push blocks?

Ron Humphrey
08-14-2014, 8:36 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacing the rubber pad on push blocks? I handle a fair amount of rough-cut stock which chews up the pad. I would rather replace the rubber than buy another block. It also would enable me to make my own blocks. It needs to be fairly sticky.

Rich Enders
08-14-2014, 9:05 PM
If you need flat sheet you can get it at industrial supply houses like McMaster Carr by the square yard.

william watts
08-14-2014, 11:41 PM
I replaced the rubber on mine with sand paper works much better. I used PSA sanding disks cut to size and, after cleaning off the rubber with a chisel, just stuck them on. I think it was 100 grit.

Reinis Kanders
08-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Lee Valley sells high friction rubber mats. Search for bench pucks, they have mats on that page as well.

Thomas Canfield
08-15-2014, 7:43 AM
You might also look for some of the old mouse pads that have the foam bottom. You could use double stick carpet tape to attach the smooth side to the handle.

Jim Matthews
08-15-2014, 8:01 AM
Thomas beat me to it.

If you can't find a cheap mouse pad,
Harry Epstein sells neoprene rubber sheets (http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/IndustrialSurplus/THEPAD.html).

I use these for all sorts of things, including handling finished parts.

Rich Engelhardt
08-15-2014, 8:56 AM
I replaced the rubber on mine with sand paper works much better. I used PSA sanding disks cut to size and, after cleaning off the rubber with a chisel, just stuck them on. I think it was 100 grit.

I use a hand drywall sander and leave the rubber pad on.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-drywall-hand-sander-60291.html

With a piece of 60 or 80 grit, it works like a charm.
I picked up my sander from Lowes - but - Lowes quit carrying it and now they have some Blue Hawk thing.

Prashun Patel
08-15-2014, 8:56 AM
If you want durable friction, get an epoxy grout float from the home center.

If you want a more durable option for pushing rough stock, outfit your push block with a heel. IMHO, heel-based push blocks are safer than the friction-based ones...

Rich Engelhardt
08-15-2014, 9:00 AM
I'd thought about getting a cheap grout float, but, all the ones I found had metal handles.

- Also - on topic for replacement rubber.
The anti slip bath tub things work very well. Most have an adhesive back also so they're peel and stick.

Ron Humphrey
08-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacing the rubber pad on push blocks? I handle a fair amount of rough-cut stock which chews up the pad. I would rather replace the rubber than buy another block. It also would enable me to make my own blocks. It needs to be fairly sticky.

Thanks for many great recommendations! I think I'll end up with several special purpose push tools. Coarse sandpaper and heel for rough stocke and experiment with the various materials recommended for use with finer finished projects for the router table.

Thanks again for the ideas.