PDA

View Full Version : Traeger Junior Elite Smoker

Martin Boekers
08-14-2014, 5:08 PM
I just picked this up and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
Any tips and alternate pellet sources?

Smokin' ;)

Jerry Thompson
08-14-2014, 5:32 PM
I would search for a BBQ/Smoker forum and run it past them. I have done smoking for 40 years and I have just never warmed to the idea of pellets. I have been in FL for over 30 years and I love the local black jack oak we have. My smoker is a $25 yard sale item. It has a detached fire box and it does not take long to learn slow and easy.
My home state is SD. I noticed your Mt Rushmore avatar. I just got back from three weeks there.

Erik King
08-14-2014, 7:15 PM
Any food grade pellets work, but Tragers are generally the least expensive if you buy them when they are at a costco road show. They are also in some malls with a kiosk now. However, they get pricey when you buy via mail order. Personally, I don't detect a lot of difference between the different flavors (mostly since Traeger pellets are just flavored and not actually the wood they refer to).

other choice is to look for a BBQ dealer who handles pellet grills and pellets in your area and see what they carry.

Pellet heads.com is the best forum.

Harry Hagan
08-18-2014, 10:29 AM
I just picked this up and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
Any tips and alternate pellet sources?

Smokin' ;)

I bought that model a couple of months ago and haven't had buyer's remorse. And that’s mainly due to the convenience of pellet grills.

I phoned Traeger Customer Service recently and received a rather convoluted explanation of the proper procedure for maintaining temperature control. The CSR told me that Traeger is “revising” their Owner’s Manuals to reflect these new recommendations.

Harry Hagan
08-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Any food grade pellets work, but Tragers are generally the least expensive if you buy them when they are at a costco road show. They are also in some malls with a kiosk now. However, they get pricey when you buy via mail order. Personally, I don't detect a lot of difference between the different flavors (mostly since Traeger pellets are just flavored and not actually the wood they refer to).

other choice is to look for a BBQ dealer who handles pellet grills and pellets in your area and see what they carry.

Pellet heads.com is the best forum.

I didn't know they were just flavored and probably why, as you suggest, there's not much difference.